Page 31 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    OK

Since you appear to be suffering from acute reading comprehension failure, I’ll post the entire statement in question from the document. The reader can see for themselves what it means.

EMPHASIS OF MATTER

As discussed in Note 1 to the financial statements, the accompanying financial statements are those of National Rifle Association of America only and not those of the primary reporting entity. The consolidated financial statements of NRA and its affiliates have been issued as the general purpose financial statements of the reporting entity and should be read in conjunction with the parent-only statements. Our opinion is not modified with respect to this matter.
    I'm actually perfectly capable of reading that. I also happen to have about 10 years of business associations law experience based on my work as an attorney at the nonprofit in question. I think you should read the second sentence a little closer. You're looking at the consolidated financial statements of several entities (NRA, the Foundation, CRDF, PVF) not the (c)(4) only "parent" statement. If you'd like to look at the individual statements for each reporting entity, you simply need to look at the appropriate 990 and associated schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'm actually perfectly capable of reading that. I also happen to have about 10 years of business associations law experience based on my work as an attorney at the nonprofit in question. I think you should read the second sentence a little closer. You're looking at the consolidated financial statements of several entities (NRA, the Foundation, CRDF, PVF) not the (c)(4) only "parent" statement. If you'd like to look at the individual statements for each reporting entity, you simply need to look at the appropriate 990 and associated schedules.
    I hold an MBA and years of experience as a private sector business analyst.

Now that our CVs are out of the way, can you offer an explanation for the following;

What is the NRAs “parent organization” as described in the audit note? You’ve stated there is no “parent company”: however the audit note clearly states the financial data presented is not that of the parent organization. So as of 2017 this was not the NRA itself.

Who / what was it? We already know its not the affiliates you’ve noted (and are named again specifically on page 5 of the audit publication).

Ancillary to that, also noted on page five is the fact presentation of one subsidiary’s books as representation of the consolidated organization while excluding multiple affiliates’ financial data (emphasis mine) is not generally accepted accounting principles in the United States. That’s another statement from the auditing firm directly.

So no, we are NOT looking at the consolidated financial statements of the NRA and the following subsidiaries;
    The NRA foundation
    Civil Rights Defense Fund (CRDF)
    NRA Political Victory Fund (PVF)
    NRA Special Contribution Fund
    NRA Freedom Action Foundation

You don’t need a law or MBA degree to figure out this is a problem. We don’t even know from the financial statements what the actual performance of the parent organization is, and neither did the auditors when they filed that report.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 08-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Julie Golob is out: Dear NRA Members
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I think we all saw that one coming.

As an aside, is everyone here following http://www.savethe2a.org/ ?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Disappointing that this is necessary and to lose her on the board, but absolutely the correct decision on her part. Although she was very diplomatic about her reasons for leaving, they are obvious.

Site Supporter
    I think as an NRA life member we need a forensic accountant. Where did the money go? Then we need to clean house and get new leadership. It is so bad now that we need a rebranding. A new name and a new mandate to ensure that every politician and person in the USA knows that the second amendment is a god given civil right and shall not be infringed. I also don’t think they need to pay huge salaries. They would be better off in northern Virginia buying real estate as an investment and let the employees live there. NRA village. I bet progun families would love to live there with like minded neighbors. Talk about a secure gated community. I bet tucker Carlson would move there

Oh Captain! My Captain!

Another one who openly let wlp better his lifestyle and who is bailing before the final shitstorm.....

I'm waiting to see if any gun control comes out of congress and what Trump will do with it.

If he signs it the NRA is finished. I look for Trump and WLP to get into a pissing match any day now. Guess who wins that one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Another one who openly let wlp better his lifestyle and who is bailing before the final shitstorm.....
    That's an awful bold claim to make with nothing to back it up.

There are good people involved with the NRA in various positions and bad people involved with it. Nothing is accomplished by smearing the people who actually gave a damn and tried.

I dare say the vast majority of people offering commentary on this have absolutely no clue who did what or who tried to do what to right the ship.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-13-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List