Page 19 of 136 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Got this in the morning feeds: https://www.shootingwire.com/feature...6-e86704ffa187

Going back to something earlier, my point was that one should not forget to personally contact legislators. Such sometimes has more impact, that mass petitions from mailing lists. I know I told my city council member XYZ and guess what he made that point in a debate.

If missives from the NRA as seen as from a failing organization, speak up as a person.

Again, to repeat myself, no one wants the organization to fail. Personnel who fail are not the organization but they can sink one. Honorable folks who see they have a lack of confidence from a significant segment - just leave. Organizations survive. I've seen three universities survive quite well when the crapcake executive failed and he and his 'team-toddies' were shown to door.

More info on loss of confidence from reasonable folk: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/to...wayne-must-go/
    The points made in the above quote cannot be overemphasized. With the NRA in disarray, the GOA being the GOA, and SAF being much smaller (but hopefully can be grown), getting the right people in office and making sure that those in office understand our positions and the reasons for those positions is going to be our job.

Site Supporter
    I just noticed that the latest solicitation to renew my membership early did not include a postage paid envelope. I wonder how many people used those postage paid envelopes to express their discontent?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Got this in the morning feeds: https://www.shootingwire.com/feature...6-e86704ffa187

Going back to something earlier, my point was that one should not forget to personally contact legislators. Such sometimes has more impact, that mass petitions from mailing lists. I know I told my city council member XYZ and guess what he made that point in a debate.

If missives from the NRA as seen as from a failing organization, speak up as a person.

Again, to repeat myself, no one wants the organization to fail. Personnel who fail are not the organization but they can sink one. Honorable folks who see they have a lack of confidence from a significant segment - just leave. Organizations survive. I've seen three universities survive quite well when the crapcake executive failed and he and his 'team-toddies' were shown to door.

More info on loss of confidence from reasonable folk: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/to...wayne-must-go/
    Wow, the BOD report card is a hilarious idea. Is this seriously a letter that went out via USPS to NRA members? I might go wait by the mailbox.

According to the dissidents’ grading chart, an “A” grade was given to Board members who have “advocated the replacement of Mr. LaPierre, and/or publicized one’s removal from committee(s) due to questioning leadership, spending policy, etc.”

An “F” was given to a Board member who “supports Mr. LaPierre and his leadership time with insufficient oversight.”

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Yay?
    I’m not building a parade float, I just offer it as an indicator of how this is affecting the membership more broadly.
    People are pissed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    I’m not building a parade float, I just offer it as an indicator of how this is affecting the membership more broadly.
    People are pissed.
    I hope the Second Amendment Foundation is having similar success.

Regardless of what we think of GOA, that membership increase should show the NRA that they are not perceived as the only game in town, and that while the membership is committed to the cause, they are less committed to the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I just noticed that the latest solicitation to renew my membership early did not include a postage paid envelope. I wonder how many people used those postage paid envelopes to express their discontent?
    I’ve certainly sent back more than one with a post-it note inside. My dad liked the idea, too, so that’s probably a half-dozen from just one family.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ve certainly sent back more than one with a post-it note inside. My dad liked the idea, too, so that’s probably a half-dozen from just one family.
    Remember the thing about the Russians donating big bucks to the NRA and some readhead got arrested or something....
    I wonder how hard it would be to send a donation envelope with a card marked Wayne, Nyet! Vlad with a Moscow post mark.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Having an organization to monitor what is happening, let people know what is happening, lobby on our behalf on a professional level, and direct resources and votes towards those who support our cause is absolutely valuable. One way or another, we need that in place.

I am not sure which is the heavier lift right now - building up something like SAF into such a large organization, or trying to fix an NRA whose leadership is committed to not fixing it, and whose bylaws make replacing the leadership very difficult. Given that we do not know at this point which will succeed, both need to be attempted.

To the extent that our efforts include contribution of funds, SAF and in many cases state level organizations are far more deserving of those funds at this point.

Because a very sizable portion of the households in this country contain guns, and gun owners are known to place a high value on their cause and to have long memories, I am becoming a bit less concerned about what happens if the NRA fails. I do think that making the NRA realize that we are not afraid of it failing is critical for motivating those in charge to right the ship. If they think they can stay afloat by scaring us into continuing to support them regardless, they will not allow the problems to be fixed.
    Nat'l politics (what goes on in DC) is far removed from the day to day state and local politics that happen in your backyard. We had a ballot initiative here I-594 that hardly came up on the NRA radar. SAF got busy and put a counter initiative on the ballot in hopes that people would vote for one or the other or both negating I-594. Didn't work but at least they tried. NRA cut us adrift. NRA members in this state were pissed because of the lack of support. I know several people who dropped the NRA after that.

Local politics is where the anti-gun crowd fights these days, not at the nat'l level. For example SAF challenged the city of Seattle's prohibited concealed carry ord. in city parks. SAF won and Seattle had to allow CC in their parks. They do those kind small potato legal challenges all over the US, anywhere they see an opening.

The NRA has it's place in DC but supporting a state org or the SAF will probably yield better returns on the money you contribute to keep your RKBA. I also let my reps know how I feel, even if they don't agree. I'm in your district and voting is my message to them.

The NRA has had it's day in the sun. They need a new business plan.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-23-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

[QUOTE=Glenn E. Meyer;907476]Got this in the morning feeds: https://www.shootingwire.com/feature...6-e86704ffa187

This is critical. Write and call. Be nice. Be persuasive. Maybe donate to a campaign. 50-100 dollars to a state race is not too small.

Site Supporter
    New Business plan - in my email today - the header from the NRA is "Radical Liberals". Yes, they coming after my guns. The solution get somebody's cell phone and sign up for their network. Am I really going set my hair on fire by reading this?

While the players certainly would want to ban my guns, the approach is childish and the link between buying this product and stopping Nancy, Chuck, AOC, etc. is remote.

User Tag List