Page 107 of 136 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1359

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure very few of us want the NRA gone. I sure don't. Back when it was 'our' NRA it accomplished many wonderful things. That was before that asshole took it over.

Now the moment Wayne took over, if he could have disapeared . . . yeah, that would have been great.
    I think if you milestone out the NRA's achievements in advancing gun rights (shall issue carry, the sunset of the AWB, Heller, the prevalence of constitutional carry, the cultural normalization of gun ownership, the cultural normalization of semi auto rifles, the cultural normalization of concealed carry) you might find that they all - and I mean everything significant I can recall the NRA contributing to - post-date Wayne's appointment. Maybe you could list your wonderful things, and tell me how it stacks up against my list? I came of shooting age in the early nineties and it sucked out loud. Concealed carry was functionally illegal, 'assault weapons' were banned, we'd had the '68 act and the introduction of the NFA, guns were for weird people and survivalists...

I think 'your' NRA sucked. Convince me I'm wrong.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Source?
    The ADL wrote this bio when Larry Pratt got kicked off Pat Buchanan's 1996 presidential election campaign after Pratt's ties to white nationalists became public:

Larry Pratt, executive director of the radical Gun Owners of America and a noted supporter of the militia movement, left presidential hopeful Patrick Buchanan's campaign on February 15 after being linked with white supremacist groups. His exit was ostensibly a "leave of absence" and Pratt said he hoped to return. Patrick Buchanan supported Pratt, one of four co-chairmen of his campaign, while Bob Dole's campaign headquarters said that Buchanan should have fired Pratt.

Actually, Pratt's ties with militia and racist groups have been well known for some time. Pratt is the head of the Gun Owners of America, a group of about 150,000 radical second amendment activists who view the NRA as too moderate. Pratt himself believes the Bible sanctions gun ownership and has been quoted as saying that "Consider that when Cain killed Abel, God did not ban...the ownership of whatever it was that Cain used to kill his brother." But Pratt has gone far beyond bizarre biblical analogies in his quest for absolute gun rights. Pratt emerged as one of the leading advocates of the militia movement in the early 1990s. He discussed forming militia groups in his 1990 book Armed People Victorious, and in 1992, following the Ruby Ridge incident, gave a speech advocating the forming of militia groups.

That speech has since come back to haunt Larry Pratt, since it was part of an Estes Park, Colorado, gathering that was essentially a "Who's Who" of racists in America. Organized by Pete Peters, leader in the white supremacist religious sect Christian Identity, attendees in addition to Pratt included Richard Butler, head of Aryan Nations, former KKK leader Louis Beam, and Kirk Lyons, attorney to many racist groups and founder of CAUSE, an organization that is essentially a legal defense fund for racists in Canada, Australia, the United States, South Africa and Europe. This was not Pratt's only tie with racists: he has appeared on Pete Peters' television show; has addressed a Christian Identity gathering in Branson, Missouri; and the GOA's "charitable wing," the Gun Owners Foundation, has given money to CAUSE.
    Pratt is a member of the Council for National Policy which has been linked to anti-Islamist extremism. He is also president of English-First

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    The ADL wrote this bio when Larry Pratt got kicked off Pat Buchanan's 1996 presidential election campaign after Pratt's ties to white nationalists became public:

Pratt is a member of the Council for National Policy which has been linked to anti-Islamist extremism. He is also president of English-First
    Ironically his wife is a Spanish speaking Central American woman who he sponsored for immigration and is of mixed race

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Man oh moan, one has to be seriously far to the extremist side in order to be kicked of the presidential campaign of The World's Oldest Hitler Youth(tm).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I think if you milestone out the NRA's achievements in advancing gun rights (shall issue carry, the sunset of the AWB, Heller, the prevalence of constitutional carry, the cultural normalization of gun ownership, the cultural normalization of semi auto rifles, the cultural normalization of concealed carry) you might find that they all - and I mean everything significant I can recall the NRA contributing to - post-date Wayne's appointment. Maybe you could list your wonderful things, and tell me how it stacks up against my list? I came of shooting age in the early nineties and it sucked out loud. Concealed carry was functionally illegal, 'assault weapons' were banned, we'd had the '68 act and the introduction of the NFA, guns were for weird people and survivalists...

100 percent right. I started shooting in 1994. Wayne turned the NRA into the powerhouse it became. Thank you for pointing out these historical points.

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be convincing you of anything.

We have very different viewpoints of what the NRA was responsible for, or not. The NRA (in my view) didn't contribute to the cultural changes you list. America was "safe", no need to carry after WW II ended. That started to end in the '70s and people slowly started to face reality a bit. Continues on into today. I was born in the early '50s and lived through much of what you listed so I see it differently. Except "the introduction of the NFA" since that was in '34 (IIRC) and I don't see how you were there for that.

Doesn't matter. You keep your certainties, I'll keep mine. I don't argue on the internet.

Site Supporter
    History is fine but as Buffy the Vampire Slayer said to a medieval monster who said: No weapon forged by man can slay me - and she hit him with an antitank round - That was then, this is now.

WLP cannot be an effective spokesperson due to his problems - be they real or not. Thus, the person committed to the cause would realize their handicaps and move on.

There are other NRA issues in the present as I mentioned.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

True, the Mulford Act-supporting NRA hasn't been as bad on gun rights since WLP started sucking funds from it. But aside from a token case here or there, they are conspicuously silent when armed Black folks are mistakenly killed by police: Corey Jones, Philando Castile, Atatiana Jefferson, etc. And they rush to the aid of whites like Harold Fish after his unjust conviction for a self-defense shooting, but leave black folks like John McNeil swinging in the wind (almost literally).

I'll just throw this out there reference your daddy's NRA:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...led/404628002/

Once the momentum was established it was probably the path of least resistance for LaPierre as he ascended to the throne in 1991.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter

Correct on the timing, but there were/are a lot of good people working on these issues, and no one person can claim credit. In particular, a person who was siphoning off funds that could have been used to do even more good cannot claim credit. Imagine what might have happened in the 2020 election had WLP and his rubber stamps on the BoD not screwed up the finances so badly.

User Tag List