Page 78 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    When the chief thief himself comes out and says, "We will defeat the NRA" I think we have our answer.

As though an organization begun in the late 19th century for promoting training in marksmanship needs "defeating"!

The original aims (pun noted) of the NRA were noble and practical, and if its current emphasis has for decades been required to be on supporting and protecting the 2A (like SFA, JPFO and so many others), how can any American worthy of the name consider that to be any sort of activity that ought to be "defeated"?

I'm anticipating four years of mealy-mouthed Leftist, Woke-ish slobber from our incoming POTUS/VP.
    I hope for better, but I'm not optimistic.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    As much as I want and recognize the need for a strong NRA, I cannot possibly give them enough $ to overcome their financial mismanagement. This problem should have been fixed almost 2 years ago when it first came out. Had the correct actions been taken at that time, we would be in a very different place now.

I continue to renew my membership (1 year at a time only) and instructor certification, but that is it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...wayne-lapierre

A major donor to the National Rifle Association is poised to challenge key aspects of the gun group’s bankruptcy filing, in an attempt to hold executives accountable for allegedly having defrauded their members of millions of dollars to support their own lavish lifestyles.

First paragraph. Free. I do not know how viable his attempt is. IANAL!

A little perspective on the subject of the NRA.

Let's say you have something precious to protect at your house, whatever that may, but you can't protect it all the time yourself because you have to leave for work. So, you buy the best guard dog there is to protect that precious thing. The dog isn't perfect. It sheds and sometimes pees on the floor. It even chews the furniture. But one thing it does do, better than any other dog could ever do, is guard the precious thing. Despite its various faults, this dog performs the one function you bought it for time and again. Day after day you come home and watch your surveillance video and you see your dog (which has just peed on the carpet again) deter would be crook after would be crook. That's what the NRA does for us. It's far from perfect, but it is by far and away the biggest, meanest guard dog when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. We need the NRA. The leaders may not be respected, but we dang sure should appreciate the organization and what it has done for us over the years.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    The leaders may not be respected, but we dang sure should appreciate the organization and what it has done for us over the years.
    That's the core of the problem. The leadership needs to realize that for the good of the organization, they need to go. Why don't folks understand the separation of personnel issues from supporting the organization. It's always that if you want a leadership change, you want to destroy or not support the organization and its goals.

Think about this and the practical issues involved. I said before in business and the military, organizations ditch bad leaders and some have the gumption to realize when their time is up.

This is not rocket science. We may respect a branch of the armed forces but if you have a crappy general in battle - they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That's the core of the problem. The leadership needs to realize that for the good of the organization, they need to go. Why don't folks understand the separation of personnel issues from supporting the organization. It's always that if you want a leadership change, you want to destroy or not support the organization and its goals.
    The same could be said about Pelosi and McConnell. Maybe its a Boomer thang.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ...perhaps an orientation to the RKBA...
    It has Harry Reid, as I remember, who got an A rating from the NRA. NRA said they looked at pro-gun votes and nothing else. I guess it turned out Ol' HR was fairly consistent with regard to gun rights.

Pretty soon everyone was bitching that NRA shouldn't be giving A ratings to people who are otherwise maybe not so conservative.

So where's the focus? As a general political interest group or strictly a gun right group? While I agree that NRA's focus should be mainly 2A stuff I think there's also some room for other causes. Hunting laws, state land issues, law enforcement issues. Lots NRA could and probably should be involved with.

Finding that happy medium is the tough part.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'll pm you some details.
    I look forward to it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Pretty soon everyone was bitching that NRA shouldn't be giving A ratings to people who are otherwise maybe not so conservative.
    That, I think, is the other core issue the NRA is facing. You can't spam NASCAR, country music, and Old Guy Shit, and expect to continue to stay relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Old Guy Shit
    Well, I had to chuckle at that. What the heck is Old Guy Shit as pertaining to the NRA and the 2nd Amendment? I want to make sure I am properly outfitted with OGS, whatever that may be.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List