Page 79 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It has Harry Reid, as I remember, who got an A rating from the NRA. NRA said they looked at pro-gun votes and nothing else. I guess it turned out Ol' HR was fairly consistent with regard to gun rights.

Pretty soon everyone was bitching that NRA shouldn't be giving A ratings to people who are otherwise maybe not so conservative.
    Problem there is the more a group strays from single-issue focus, the greater the possibility that it's going to be captured by one party or the other. If that happens, then the group's going to slide a bit into irrelevance. The party they're with won't care that much about them and the party they're not has no incentive to pay attention to their issues.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What the heck is Old Guy Shit as pertaining to the NRA and the 2nd Amendment?
    (1) 97.63% of whatever falls out of Shurff Jim Wilson's mouth.
    (2) Snide comments about the "younger generation".

Shooting Illustrated is one of the more balanced magazines on the market (also it has Tam), and even American Rifleman isn't as bad as American Handgunner or Guns, but that sort of thing shouldn't have any place. Mostly, though, it's the constant drumbeat of country-this and hunting-that. Remember the old bias-confirmation study, with the WWII bombers? Don't make content that just appeals to your members, go out of your way to make some content that appeals to the people that are not your members.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Problem there is the more a group strays from single-issue focus, the greater the possibility that it's going to be captured by one party or the other. If that happens, then the group's going to slide a bit into irrelevance. The party they're with won't care that much about them and the party they're not has no incentive to pay attention to their issues.
    Or the group becomes known for supporting issues that pertain to groups who otherwise might not be attracted to the NRA. Skeet shooters and such who turn their collective noses up at those who own and enjoy something other than O/U shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Don't make content that just appeals to your members, go out of your way to make some content that appeals to the people that are not your members.
    Yep.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I agree, that’s where they fucked up with NRA TV.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Problem there is the more a group strays from single-issue focus, the greater the possibility that it's going to be captured by one party or the other.
    ...and alienating members who agree with the core mission but not the side projects.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Well, the period goes inside the quotation mark. An old guy would know that. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Kidding aside, good point on trying to appeal to people who aren't your members.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I would add:
    -Snide comments about people who only own O/U shotguns
    -Snide comments about the older generation
    -Snide comments about, well, anybody that isn't you (not you specifically) or who doesn't shoot what you do.

Your point is a good one: gun owners eat their own. Rule 1 should be that anyone who shoots any firearm is your friend.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I would add:
    -Snide comments about the older generation
    -Snide comments about, well, anybody that isn't you (not you specifically) or who doesn't shoot what you do.

Your point is a good one: gun owners eat their own. Rule 1 should be that anyone who shoots any firearm is your friend.
    There are a ton of people who would rather lose the 2nd entirely than have it stop being a good ol' boys club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I would add:

You'd think we'd all be on the same team but sadly we are not.

Personal experience here but I worked in a gun store some years ago that did a pretty good business with the local trap and skeet club. It always amazed me at how many of these guys were anti-2A. They saw guns that didn't fit into their hobby as not worthy of owning. Some even commented that they had no problem with bans, mag limits, etc. Their guns were safe and unthreatening. Yours? Yeah those are bad...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That, I think, is the other core issue the NRA is facing. You can't spam NASCAR, country music, and Old Guy Shit, and expect to continue to stay relevant.
    It's fine to like that stuff, but I agree that it's very silly to use it as part of your messaging/platform when a significant portion of your membership (or prospective membership) views that as dumb scaled-up circle track racing, hick music, and Old Guy Shit. Some of us are more into GT racing (you know, the kind with corners that go *both* ways ), metal/industrial/electronica, and Young Guy Shit.

User Tag List