Page 122 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1359

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    There are not a lot of outdoor range's that go out to 400 yards where I live.
    Thinking of joining this one which is 55 mins from my home but the one thing stopping me is this.

Requirements to Join:
    1. One time $200 application and $200 annual dues. (Annual dues will be prorated quarterly.) Renewals are due January 1 every year. Make checks payable to MTSA and send them to P.O. Box 8846, Gallatin, Tennessee 37066.

2. ​Proof of NRA Membership. You need ONE of the following:

NRA Card

Label off your NRA magazine

Receipt from NRA if you signed up on the web at NRA.org

You can also join the NRA at orientation.

Talked to a guy who is a member he told me the owners are old school NRA and will make no expectations.
    I was a long time NRA member till 2 years ago .... I now support GOA. the money to join the NRA is not my issue it's that POS leader of it and the clowns who back him.

I am 90% sure I will not join the range at this point which sucks because I have been bitten by the AR bug and want to try my hand at longer ranges... 400 yards is not that far for some but it's better than 25 meters.
    If you plan not to join due to the NRA requirement, what's the downside of writing a polite letter explaining your position and asking them to consider GOA or SAF membership as an alternative?

Heads up however.... IIRC, some ranges are INSURED under NRA policies, which may require all range members also be NRA members... I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this requirement, just an old recollection.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Heads up however.... IIRC, some ranges are INSURED under NRA policies, which may require all range members also be NRA members... I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this requirement, just an old recollection.

Yeah, I've heard that statement a lot locally myself. However it's always been the next door neighbors, ex-wife, brother's cousins uncles type of statement. Or perhaps REO Speedwagon said it best;" heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another ." No one has shown me any actual documentation.

Grant Stinchfield: "A Dysfunctional NRA was Far Stronger than a Functional NRA"

https://rumble.com/v44wyj0-stinchfie...ional-nra.html

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thinking of joining this one which is 55 mins from my home but the one thing stopping me is this.

Requirements to Join:
    1. One time $200 application and $200 annual dues. (Annual dues will be prorated quarterly.) Renewals are due January 1 every year. Make checks payable to MTSA and send them to P.O. Box 8846, Gallatin, Tennessee 37066.

NRA Card

Talked to a guy who is a member he told me the owners are old school NRA and will make no expectations.
    I was a long time NRA member till 2 years ago .... I now support GOA. the money to join the NRA is not my issue it's that POS leader of it and the clowns who back him.

I am 90% sure I will not join the range at this point which sucks because I have been bitten by the AR bug and want to try my hand at longer ranges... 400 yards is not that far for some but it's better than 25 meters.
    I would not let the NRA membership requirement stop you. It is a small part of the cost, and finding good places to shoot is not easy. Compare the annual cost to the cost of one hour at a commercial range, and I think you will find that the membership makes sense.

I would not be surprised to see some changes for the better in the NRA at the end of this trial.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    As much as I cannot stand the MGMT of the NRA and many of the BOD, this is a case of cutting of nose to spite face.

1. Join the NRA on an annual.

2. Join the range.

3. Get on their BOD.

4. Change their bylaws to allow support for other orgs i.e. GOA, JPFO, Second Amendment Foundation etc. instead of the NRA.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have stockpiled so much Ammo for longer ranges that is why this place is so tempting.

The money is so not an issue for joining... Fuck I might just join and enjoy the summer coming up.

THERE ARE BETTER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT what's the best zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that statement a lot locally myself. However it's always been the next door neighbors, ex-wife, brother's cousins uncles type of statement. Or perhaps REO Speedwagon said it best;" heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another ." No one has shown me any actual documentation.
    A few decades ago when I was on the executive board of a >1000 member gun club, we were insured through the NRA as they had very favorable rates but on of their requirements was that the club be 100% NRA members, not YOUR club but I can tell you it is a real thing.
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Requirements to Join:

NRA Card

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    A few decades ago when I was on the executive board of a >1000 member gun club, we were insured through the NRA as they had very favorable rates but on of their requirements was that the club be 100% NRA members, not YOUR club but I can tell you it is a real thing.
    The insurance deal was/is the same thing at our gun club. They used to require proof at every renewal, now it's on your honor.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    If you plan not to join due to the NRA requirement, what's the downside of writing a polite letter explaining your position and asking them to consider GOA or SAF membership as an alternative?

This was the case of the club I was a member of in Florida as well, albeit about 10-11 years ago. That information came from one of the club board/officers during our orientation when someone asked about about the membership requirement because they were GOA and not NRA members at the time. I checked the website and there's still an NRA membership requirement, no alternatives.

When it came to the cost of the membership, the $30 to the NRA was almost insignificant compared to the $400-500 it cost to join.

Wayne has gotta go. Together with lots of board members that have enabled him. (not that I can name them...)

I wonder how many of the remaining 4.2 million members are Lifers (zero annual dues obligation) and what percentage of those refuse to send money until Wayne is gone?
    That would be me, Life Member since ~2014 and won't given them any money/assistance until WLP and his sycophants are gone. It's been several years since I got called by the NRA pandering for donation, but I told them that I'd be glad to donate when WLP made good on the promise he made to get the Hughes Amendment overturned/repealed. Haven't had a call from them since.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I wonder how many of the remaining 4.2 million members are Lifers (zero annual dues obligation) and what percentage of those refuse to send money until Wayne is gone?
    This describes me, as well.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

User Tag List