Page 128 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1359

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Read it. The point worrying is that the crony crew will take over for little real change.
    I agree. The one good thing that may come from the trial is more cronies getting pushed out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by loper77 View Post
    I agree. The one good thing that may come from the trial is more cronies getting pushed out.
    Much like DC at large, I would very much love to the cronies sent packing and see younger blood come in that has a better understanding to the world today and not just looking to grift what they can before they die. A pipe dream wish for certain, but one can hope.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Trial is supposed to start this morning and Jim Shepard of the shooting wire is apparently there and will report on it. His account will probably be my go to unless the WSJ also has a reporter or stringer there.

I think most of what I have read to this point is vague about the exact nature or level of corruption. Trips, new suits, and overpaid honeypot interns. The stuff Ollie North alleged about law firms and ad agencies. Hopefully we get the full story or at least a lot more of it starting this week.
    Jim Shepard's account of the trial this morning in the Tactical Wire wasn't very detailed and basically repeated the same stuff.

It mostly consisted of, "The prosecution said that WLP, in particular, was bad and that the financial impropriety was malfeasance and not a mistake."

Shepard ended today with, "The defense begins arguments tomorrow and we'll start to get a clearer picture of the truth."

In my own biased way I read that as, "And finally justice will prevail!" - But I think Shepard meant it as, "Once we hear both sides of the story, we can begin to interpret the truth out of it."

Still, I too was hoping for a more detailed account of the accusations and evidence behind them.

The NRA's defense seems to be "WLP betrayed us, but since he reimbursed us when caught no harm came to NRA donors."

NYT coverage:
    https://archive.ph/mOCDV

Site Supporter
    Keep in mind that pro publica researched this article in conjunction with “the trace,” which is a partisan, radical left-wing, anti-gun organization.

However, biased or not it’s still interesting

https://www.propublica.org/article/n...usine-expenses

Secret Recording Shows NRA Treasurer Plotting to Conceal Extravagant Expenses Involving Wayne LaPierre
    Audio obtained by The Trace and ProPublica reveals, in real time, the gun lobbying group enacting a plan that would conceal payments for fancy hotels, limousines and other luxury expenses connected to its longtime CEO for a decade.

At a meeting in June 2009, the treasurer of the National Rifle Association worked out a plan to conceal luxury expenses involving its chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Trace and ProPublica. The recording was unknown to New York’s attorney general, who is pursuing the NRA and LaPierre over a range of alleged financial misdeeds. It shows, in real time, the NRA’s treasurer enlisting the group’s longtime public relations firm to obfuscate the extravagant costs.

Captured on tape is talk of LaPierre’s desire to avoid public disclosure of his use of private jets as well as concern about persistent spending at the Beverly Hills Hotel by a PR executive and close LaPierre adviser.

Captured on tape is talk of LaPierre’s desire to avoid public disclosure of his use of private jets as well as concern about persistent spending at the Beverly Hills Hotel by a PR executive and close LaPierre adviser.

During the meeting, which took place in the Alexandria, Virginia, office of PR firm Ackerman McQueen, executives agreed that Ackerman would issue a Platinum American Express card to Tyler Schropp, the new head of the NRA’s nascent advancement division, which was responsible for bringing in high-dollar contributions from wealthy donors. Ackerman would then cover the card’s charges and bill them back to the NRA under nondescript invoices.

“It’s really the limo services and the hotels that I worry about,” William Winkler, Ackerman’s chief financial officer, said. “He’s going to need it for the hotels especially.”

Ackerman McQueen and Winkler declined to comment. None of the other individuals mentioned in this story responded to requests for comment. The gun-rights group’s attorney, William A. Brewer III, said in an email: “The tape has not been authenticated by the NRA but, if real, we are shocked by its content. The suggested contents would confirm what the NRA has said all along: there were certain ‘insiders’ and vendors who took advantage of the Association. If true, it is an example of a shadowy business arrangement — one that was not brought to the attention of the NRA board.”

James’ complaint states that LaPierre “spent millions of dollars of the NRA’s charitable assets for private plane trips for himself and his family.” In a 2021 deposition, LaPierre said that “NRA security has a policy against me flying commercial because of threats,” and that the requirement had been in place for a decade or more.

In 2009, the NRA did indeed check the box on its tax filing indicating it had used “first-class or chartered travel.” The NRA’s explanation, which the Internal Revenue Service requires nonprofits to provide, was that “charter travel was used on occasions involving multiple events when reduced airline schedules precluded other options.” The description became the NRA’s standard template going forward. Other nonprofits, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, disclose the names of executives who use the luxury service.

Secret Recording Shows NRA Treasurer Plotting to Conceal Extravagant Expenses Involving Wayne LaPierre

https://www.propublica.org/article/n...usine-expenses
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Site Supporter
    When I worked at Macy’s in high school/college, I was taught a cleaning/locating/inventory matrix.

Top to bottom, left to right.

The NRA needs to be cleaned in the same manner: ergo virtually all the present mgmt and the vast majority of the BOD.

Moreover, unless and until the bylaws are changed to give the BOD meaningful oversight- still not a dime.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Clearly Wayne is not the only problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-ex-cf...214704526.html

NRA’s ex-CFO testified he charged group for his Texas to Virginia commute for 3 years

"Wilson “Woody” Phillips, the first defendant to be called to the stand in the civil trial against the National Rifle Association and its executives, testified Friday that he billed the NRA for his interstate commute after he bought a new home in Texas and that he received $30,000 a month in compensation after he left the group. . .

. . . He testified that the NRA reimbursed him for that commute and for hotels for three years and that he did not tell the group’s compensation committee about those expenses. . .

. . . Phillips testified that he did not have LaPierre’s contract extension agreement approved by the NRA’s audit committee and that he did not do a separate assessment of it. The agreement stipulated that LaPierre would be paid $1.3 million for 2019 and even more in the following years. . ."

(sic)

Thus the obvious problem when the fish rots from the head- the head works to ensure that everyone below him is just as corrupt as he is. Anyone who doesn't engage in corruption tends to get removed.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Unless some external force reconstitutes the administration - how could this be fixed. The Board is really a joke and never a real board - just a club.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List