Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drone advice?

Drone advice?

Eldest LittleLebowskiUrbanAchiever needs rewarding. Is there an easy to use, somewhat durable drone for say $500 and below? I was looking at refurbished DJI Mini 3s on eBay.

And the Lebowski family is NOT adept with video game controls (ask me why), we’ve killed two older DJIs and pretty quickly, too
    #RESIST

Paging @JCL
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Following with interest. I’m looking in the $250 range for one to take on our trip to FL next month.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Take a look at the DJI Mini 3. I have the prior version, and have not had any adverse issues with it.

Drone advice?

What’s the use case? If the plan is for a camera drone, the refurb Mini 3 or a Mini 2 SE are hard to beat at that price point, subsidizing the CCP notwithstanding, but if it’s just for pure fun, an entry-level FPV drone might be something to look at. The Emax Tinyhawks are pretty plug and play if that’s the way you decide to go.

Of course, they aren’t easy to fly, so the Xbox proficiency “could” be an issue…

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Following with interest. I’m looking in the $250 range for one to take on our trip to FL next month.
    I saw a video of some guys fishing at a beach using a drone to take the hook out way further than anyone could cast.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

A little off topic but related. We were having dinner on daughter and SIL's deck yesterday. He mentioned his neighbor got a drone. They are on 5 acres w/ about an acre cleared for the house so still woods on 3 sides. I asked has it come over here yet. He says no and I said no shotgun practice then, huh? No, but I am ready. He is a police officer and says he has special drone 12ga ammo. What is that? Apparently it shoots out a small self expanding net that wraps around the drone. It may be this;
    https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-Skynet...--3-Pack-35975
    Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by hickrev View Post
    What’s the use case? If the plan is for a camera drone, the refurb Mini 3 or a Mini 2 SE are hard to beat at that price point, subsidizing the CCP notwithstanding, but if it’s just for pure fun, an entry-level FPV drone might be something to look at. The Emax Tinyhawks are pretty plug and play if that’s the way you decide to go.

Of course, they aren’t easy to fly, so the Xbox proficiency “could” be an issue…
    Just playing around, she'd like to use the camera.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    A little off topic but related. We were having dinner on daughter and SIL's deck yesterday. He mentioned his neighbor got a drone. They are on 5 acres w/ about an acre cleared for the house so still woods on 3 sides. I asked has it come over here yet. He says no and I said no shotgun practice then, huh? No, but I am ready. He is a police officer and says he has special drone 12ga ammo. What is that? Apparently it shoots out a small self expanding net that wraps around the drone. It may be this;
    https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-Skynet...--3-Pack-35975
    Who knew?
    Drones are aircraft and as such are regulated by the FAA. Same for the airspace over one's property. Interfering with aircraft as well as, essentially, shooting down an aircraft is viewed dimly by the FAA.

I realize people joke around an whatnot, and there's more legal nuance to this, but if that's not the case here, someone should give serious consideration as to whether to interfere with said aircraft - LEO or not - if it's not flying directly over people, or structures on his property, and is operating in a safe manner, and not violating other laws (there are various state laws). This is my limited understanding, big picture kind of thinking. Two cents and all that. YMMV.
    Last edited by cosermann; 05-15-2023 at 10:29 AM.

User Tag List