Page 8 of 136 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Site Supporter
    The nonsense at the NRA has now motivated me to join the Second Amendment Foundation as well as my local regional/state level group. Less relevant, I joined Knife Rights and the American Knife and Tool Institute while I was at it. I continue to hope that the NRA can be fixed, but clearly we cannot have all our eggs in that basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    NRA-ILA
    In early 2018 I met the NRA-ILA Regional Grassroots Field Coordinator at the Indy 1500 gun show. He wanted to see (now former US Senator) Joe Donnelly unemployed as much as I did. I've been a NRA-ILA vol since that day. Guys like that and the Campaign Field Reps are the boots on the ground. There are very few of them but they are a real force-multiplier.

Get past this crap going on at the BoD level, come back strong. The boots on the ground guys have nothing to do with the WLP camp or North/West camp, but they'll not get the support they need to operate if this crap continues.

I don’t think we want to see the NRA go tits up in today’s political climate of gun control being a hot-button issue. The power vacuum would be immense as the other orgs scramble to make themselves the new NRA. You want to see restrictions rolled in on a federal level? Because the absence of the NRA would do just that because as far as I can tell most of the other orgs haven’t put their work boots on yet. And some are already waaaay worse than the NRA because they’re being used to pad the pockets of their owners (see GOA or NAGR) while having accomplished about nothing.

Mutiny the leadership yesterday and get to salvaging things before the 2020 election gets in full swing.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    In early 2018 I met the NRA-ILA Regional Grassroots Field Coordinator at the Indy 1500 gun show. He wanted to see (now former US Senator) Joe Donnelly unemployed as much as I did. I've been a NRA-ILA vol since that day. Guys like that and the Campaign Field Reps are the boots on the ground. There are very few of them but they are a real force-multiplier.

Get past this crap going on at the BoD level, come back strong. The boots on the ground guys have nothing to do with the WLP camp or North/West camp, but they'll not get the support they need to operate if this crap continues.
    I agree, and would like very much to know that when I make a donation, renew my membership, etc., that this is what at least 80% of those funds support. The fact that the NRA's resources are going to support $1.4 million salaries, bespoke suits, and $5,000/month chippie crash pads instead of these efforts is exactly the problem.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I don’t think we want to see the NRA go tits up in today’s political climate of gun control being a hot-button issue. The power vacuum would be immense as the other orgs scramble to make themselves the new NRA. You want to see restrictions rolled in on a federal level? Because the absence of the NRA would do just that because as far as I can tell most of the other orgs haven’t put their work boots on yet. And some are already waaaay worse than the NRA because they’re being used to pad the pockets of their owners (see GOA or NAGR) while having accomplished about nothing.

Mutiny the leadership yesterday and get to salvaging things before the 2020 election gets in full swing.
    Normally I don't waste time reading the comments after an article, but according to the comments following the article in the original post, that has apparently already been tried and failed. If those comments are correct, then the NRA rules are specifically designed to protect those in power, and it will take quite a critical mass of people on the Board of Directors (2/3 of them) to bring about change.

I am an unknown in the world of guns, but I do have experience on a nonprofit board. If enough others would join me, I would run.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Normally I don't waste time reading the comments after an article, but according to the comments following the article in the original post, that has apparently already been tried and failed. If those comments are correct, then the NRA rules are specifically designed to protect those in power, and it will take quite a critical mass of people on the Board of Directors (2/3 of them) to bring about change.

I am an unknown in the world of guns, but I do have experience on a nonprofit board. If enough others would join me, I would run.
    If the rules are so written, then by all means to hell with them and mutiny anyway.

You know what would get their attention real quick? A mob of pissed off, visibly armed (does VA permit open carry?) NRA members outside the HQ crying out in solidarity to remove WLP and straighten up. The media might choke on their lunch and some anti-gun types would have a field day, but it would certainly send a message.

Honestly I’m surprised nobody has organized such an event yet. I’d do it myself if I were closer and had time.

If gun owners won’t even rally on such an occasion to sort our own house then it’ll further demonstrate how easily the “Molon Labe” LARPers will roll over if things get serious.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    If the rules are so written, then by all means to hell with them and mutiny anyway.

You know what would get their attention real quick? A mob of pissed off, visibly armed (does VA permit open carry?) NRA members outside the HQ crying out in solidarity to remove WLP and straighten up. The media might choke on their lunch and some anti-gun types would have a field day, but it would certainly send a message.

Honestly I’m surprised nobody has organized such an event yet. I’d do it myself if I were closer and had time.

If gun owners won’t even rally on such an occasion to sort our own house then it’ll further demonstrate how easily the “Molon Labe” LARPers will roll over if things get serious.
    I believe open carry is legal in VA but I could not promise that the police would not make arrests on disorderly conduct charges. I also found not say how a court would react to such charges.

I just sent back 3 donation requests in their postage paid envelope telling them to either clean up their act or take me off their mailing list. If 5 million members took this simple step, that would get their attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I disagree with the conclusion no NRA would equal national devastation for gun rights. At the Federal level the NRAs practical influence is nil. Look at President Trump; took the NRAs money and talked a big game about “protecting gun rights” during his campaign. Many believed national reciprocity and rollback of the Hughes Amendment was a viable possibility in his first term.

Instead we got hot air and a bump stock ban. If that’s the shining example of NRA influence at the Federal level, we need to pull the plug.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

NRA-ILA does good work.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    NRA-ILA does good work.
    And I heard Nero was one hell of a fiddle player.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List