Page 18 of 136 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    How did you get that out of what I said?
    I let myself become confused by what I perceived as hyperbole.

I think the idea that we can protect our rights without a large -- perhaps the largest -- lobbying, litigating, and political action organization is hard to credit. I'm not saying it's too big to fail, and I'm not saying it has to be any particular organization, but creating one from scratch, or near as scratch in the case of the SAF, is a pretty heavy lift.

I think that the best approach is probably to try to fix the NRA, as is Ms. J's clear intent, rather than suggesting that it's unnecessary.

Last edited by Drang; 07-22-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Having an organization to monitor what is happening, let people know what is happening, lobby on our behalf on a professional level, and direct resources and votes towards those who support our cause is absolutely valuable. One way or another, we need that in place.

I am not sure which is the heavier lift right now - building up something like SAF into such a large organization, or trying to fix an NRA whose leadership is committed to not fixing it, and whose bylaws make replacing the leadership very difficult. Given that we do not know at this point which will succeed, both need to be attempted.

To the extent that our efforts include contribution of funds, SAF and in many cases state level organizations are far more deserving of those funds at this point.

Because a very sizable portion of the households in this country contain guns, and gun owners are known to place a high value on their cause and to have long memories, I am becoming a bit less concerned about what happens if the NRA fails. I do think that making the NRA realize that we are not afraid of it failing is critical for motivating those in charge to right the ship. If they think they can stay afloat by scaring us into continuing to support them regardless, they will not allow the problems to be fixed.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Because a very sizable portion of the households in this country contain guns, and gun owners are known to place a high value on their cause and to have long memories, I am becoming a bit less concerned about what happens if the NRA fails. I do think that making the NRA realize that we are not afraid of it failing is critical for motivating those in charge to right the ship. If they think they can stay afloat by scaring us into continuing to support them regardless, they will not allow the problems to be fixed.
    I am not so sanguine about that. There are a hell of a lot of Fudds out there who, if they're not directly affected, will not care a whit.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I am not so sanguine about that. There are a hell of a lot of Fudds out there who, if they're not directly affected, will not care a whit.
    I have met some of those Fudds, and you do have a point.

I wish I could point to a good, less risky solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Anecdotally, I have heard that GOA is currently at approximately 5x its annual membership/fundraising target. In a sense this is sort of what Trump’s election did for the Sierra Club’s fundraising, complete with all the questions that implies about the correlation (if any) between fundraising and effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Anecdotally, I have heard that GOA is currently at approximately 5x its annual membership/fundraising target.
    Yay?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Yay?
    My thoughts exactly. On one hand, their membership is up. On the other, it's the GOA

Site Supporter
    Got this in the morning feeds: https://www.shootingwire.com/feature...6-e86704ffa187

Going back to something earlier, my point was that one should not forget to personally contact legislators. Such sometimes has more impact, that mass petitions from mailing lists. I know I told my city council member XYZ and guess what he made that point in a debate.

If missives from the NRA as seen as from a failing organization, speak up as a person.

Again, to repeat myself, no one wants the organization to fail. Personnel who fail are not the organization but they can sink one. Honorable folks who see they have a lack of confidence from a significant segment - just leave. Organizations survive. I've seen three universities survive quite well when the crapcake executive failed and he and his 'team-toddies' were shown to door.

More info on loss of confidence from reasonable folk: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/to...wayne-must-go/
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 07-23-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Plus, very few gun issues are decided by referendum. Plus, most people don't vote based on 2A; people who vote on issues (a gross minority compared to those who vote by 'brand') prioritize other issues.

User Tag List