Page 81 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Deleted: Article was behind a pay site.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    If WLP doesn't get gone one way or another, and soon, the organization is doomed. I had considered upping to benefactor a while back, but years of dissapointment held me back. Im giving to SAF and GOA now
    I could'nt agree more...WLP and his cronies ARE the problem with the NRA.. Get rid of him, the 70+ member board,(should be about 12, 15 at the most) focus on your core mission, cut the dumb shit out, (wine and book clubs, cheap Chinese trinkets for reupping memberships, etc) Stop the endless "the sky is falling" letters begging for more money, 'cuz WLP has his eye on a new, fancy Italian suit. Maybe take a different approach.. Honesty.. You know, tell people what's going on, what bills to keep an eye on, the realistic chances of these bills passing, who's sponsoring them, and, what we're doing/going to do about it.. Above all, NO MORE MILLION DOLLAR SALERIES FOR ANYONE!!!! WLP at the most, should be getting about $200,000 a year, and that's being generous .
    Last edited by ralph; 02-23-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I could'nt agree more...WLP and his cronies ARE the problem with the NRA.. Get rid of him, the 70+ member board,(should be about 12, 15 at the most) focus on your core mission, cut the dumb shit out, (wine and book clubs, cheap Chinese trinkets for reupping memberships, etc) Stop the endless "the sky is falling" letters begging for more money, 'cuz WLP has his eye on a new, fancy Italian suit. Maybe take a different approach.. Honesty.. You know, tell people what's going on, what bills to keep an eye on, the realistic chances of these bills passing, who's sponsoring them, and, what we're doing/going to do about it.. Above all, NO MORE MILLION DOLLAR SALERIES FOR ANYONE!!!! WLP at the most, should be getting about $200,000 a year, and that's being generous .
    I agree with the vast majority of your post.

Re: salary: nonprofits are of course supposed to be for the cause and not for generating profit. However, I do understand the need to pay for good people. In the case of the NRA, we are not only paying for skill but also for the fact that this person might wake up some morning and find blood smeared on the door of their home or business (if I recall correctly that happened at a business owned by Chris Cox's wife). With that in mind, I could understand $400,000-$500,000 for someone with demonstrated skill and demonstrated commitment to the cause, which I understand to be on the same order as other large nonprofits.

I certainly cannot understand 7 figures, suits, travel, a house halfway across the country from headquarters, etc.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  1E355E16-535B-484C-8F3A-3864A4FC17F9.jpeg
Views: 736
Size:  29.4 KB

I've been a member for over three decades. I'm not taking this step lightly.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 02-26-2021 at 03:07 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Name:  1E355E16-535B-484C-8F3A-3864A4FC17F9.jpeg
Views: 736
Size:  29.4 KB

I've been a member for over three decades. I'm not taking this step lightly.

Me too, 36 years.

I've kept signing up each year, including the last couple, because I hate to stop being supportive of the heretofore-strongest 2A lobbying organization we've had, but I guess I'm finally going to quit too, since there's really no other way to protest.

If they'd only just boot WLP and reorganize, I'd jump right back in.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I've kept signing up each year, including the last couple, because I hate to stop being supportive of the heretofore-strongest 2A lobbying organization we've had, but I guess I'm finally going to quit too, since there's really no other way to protest.

If they'd only just boot WLP and reorganize, I'd jump right back in.
    I don’t know any other way, right now, to change the NRA other than to not support it any longer. I hate doing that, but the NRA has done this to itself.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I like the idea of the message hand written on the dues notice. One thing that might be worth researching is the direct addresses of all the current board members. Sent back to the third party agency that collects dues and deposits them for the NRA, those go straight in the trash and nobody is keeping a talley or noting the message I fear.

On the other hand, writing directly to board members is a long proven technique many shareholder activists and other activists have used.

While the NRA board is this large disfunctional thing right now, if all of those board members heard from enough of us it might start to push some conversations.

Anybody got an account at Intelius or one of those other lookup background check services, so we could start to compile addresses? Being a life member I never get bills and I got off the money request lists, so nothing to mark up, but I would sure take the time to print and sign and mail 70 personal letters from me.

What that sort of tactic does is reinforce a message as to why the money is off and what the solution is.

All sorts of activists do this to companies and it is the source of some of the crazy actions or notions you see these companies undertake from time to time. All the board member's home mail boxes got flooded before the next board meeting. I think it has a chance to work in this case.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    On the other hand, writing directly to board members is a long proven technique many shareholder activists and other activists have used.

While the NRA board is this large disfunctional thing right now, if all of those board members heard from enough of us it might start to push some conversations.
    The only way things will change is if the insiders believe there is a need for change and work to convince WLP that his departure is required. Most of the board members do not have that influence. As I understand it, the Corporate Articles are constructed in a way that makes changing the Executives extremely difficult.

The current 1st VP keeps a fairly public profile. He would be easy to contact electronically. I'm not going to dox him here, but, if I was inclined to get my message to someone who was in a position to affect change.....

FWIW, if you want to support the NRA mission without supporting WLP directly, you might consider donating your dues to NRA-ILA instead.
    https://donate.nraila.org/donate
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I don’t know any other way, right now, to change the NRA other than to not support it any longer. I hate doing that, but the NRA has done this to itself.
    You're exactly right.. Once the cash flow drops below a certain point, changes WILL have to be made whether WLP likes it or not.. Cut off the cash, starve the beast.. It's the only option us members/former members have left.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I like the idea of the message hand written on the dues notice. One thing that might be worth researching is the direct addresses of all the current board members. Sent back to the third party agency that collects dues and deposits them for the NRA, those go straight in the trash and nobody is keeping a talley or noting the message I fear.

Anybody got an account at Intelius or one of those other lookup background check services, so we could start to compile addresses? Being a life member I never get bills and I got off the money request lists, so nothing to mark up, but I would sure take the time to print and sign and mail 70 personal letters from me.

What that sort of tactic does is reinforce a message as to why the money is off and what the solution is.

All sorts of activists do this to companies and it is the source of some of the crazy actions or notions you see these companies undertake from time to time. All the board member's home mail boxes got flooded before the next board meeting. I think it has a chance to work in this case.
    I wrote to two board members when this started. Paper and envelope. NRA headquarters. One from my state. Crickets....

Julie Golob did write back when I messaged her through her website. But it was the usual platitudes. I know she is well thought of but she wrote like an attorney helped her. I guess she was not going to write “Wayne is an alleged embezzler who is using money for his own purposes and doing all he can to divide the board and bestow favors and consulting work on board members who go to bat for him”😀. Yes I am naive. And no Fatdog I am not insinuating you are naive. I have read what you write for a decade-gold.

(Edited at user's request)
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 03-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.

User Tag List