Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    1) I think you're being obtuse about the word "life span". You get what he means, get over it.

2) According to this article by Pat Rogers, the rebuild is more extensive than what you're stating.

http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm
    I'm not being intentionally obtuse. The author I quoted said the lifespan was 10k rounds. Then you go ahead a post an article that supports what I said. Of course the rebuild PR describes is more extensive because it's 8x the number.

We've talked about "armorer" support for the 1911 throughout this thread, but note the Precision Weapons Section was practically assembling and fitting new pistols from parts, as well as repairing deadlined pistols. When a MEUSOC 1911 went down hard, it wasn't like they issued a new pistol. They had to build the replacement. When that wasn't possible, they purchased COTS pistols (the Kimber ICQB got the magazine covers, but more Springfield Professionals and other Springfield Custom Shop products were procured).

These 1911s lived hard lives. Here's a Springfield Professional that clearly went back to PWS, but did not undergo a complete rebuild. It actually retains most of the original major components, including the slide, frame (note the CRG Serial number identifying it as a Professional), and Nowlin barrel. The magwell has been removed and the slide cut to add forward cocking serrations.

Name:  7c65ad77fe798630a8a115ed7327c627--david-custom-.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  74.9 KB

Later, instead of butchering Pros into the desired configuration, the USMC purchased Springfield Custom shop pistols built to their specifications (very similar to the Pro but lacking the magwell and front strap serrations, while adding a lanyard loop and front cocking serrations - note the USMC serial number).

I think these are really cool pistols and neat bits of history. But keeping the USMC equipped with semi-custom 1911s was expensive in terms of dollars and manpower.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

M45A1s still in action.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Well.... The Sig M18s have started to arrive at both the Recon units and the EOTG armories. Going forward the Special Tactics Branches are planning on running with whatever variant pistol shows up with a team as the transition is conducted. Force Platoons going out this year still have M45A1. Next year will probably be a mix. 2022 will likely be all Sig....

Honestly the biggest problem is the ammo allocation. A CQB class and certification consumes 500 k pistol. We have a allocation of 3.5 mil .45 ACP just for 2nd EOTG, our current 9mm allocation is nowhere near that and they are trying to figure out where to get the extra 9mm from going forward... 2020 shenanigans are not helping things much either...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    M45A1s still in action.

Question for @RBCUSMC24

In the video (and others I've seen) some Marines are using M4s with standard 7' rails and some have longer rails which appear to be FSB cutout rails. Are the cutout rails actual DD SOCOM cut out rails or are they just standard M4s with an add on extension like the Ergo quad rail extension ?

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/ergo-m4-4-rail/

Ergo extensions. Some installed by the armorer's, others personally bought. Shops here still carry them for the guys who want them....Name:  IMG_20201231_165525138.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  41.0 KB
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

That's a good writeup on that pistol. I remember watching that auction thinking I should grab one of those. Lots of people hyperventilated over those over on the 1911 forum when it was happening. People who bought those got all kinds of abused crap but they were happy to have one. Some dealers bought as many as they could. I remember one guy say he bought 10. IIRC the original offering was around $1350 and they sold out faster than they could process the orders. I watched them go to around 2K before I lost interest.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Great to see the 1911 carrying on. On another part of the net, a story, with pics to back it up, was shared showing actual MEUSOC 1911s in the wild with the USMC. All within the last 24 months....that was pretty cool to see.

The M17 & M18 move closer but I'll be interested to see what continues to ride in the holsters of guys around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Great to see the 1911 carrying on. On another part of the net, a story, with pics to back it up, was shared showing actual MEUSOC 1911s in the wild with the USMC. All within the last 24 months....that was pretty cool to see.

The M17 & M18 move closer but I'll be interested to see what continues to ride in the holsters of guys around the world.
    The cost to manufacture 1911's will be it's doom in a military application. I think I read someplace that those MEUSOC 1911's cost the military around 1K each. A Glock would cost the military half that much and a Sig less than that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The cost to manufacture 1911's will be it's doom in a military application. I think I read someplace that those MEUSOC 1911's cost the military around 1K each. A Glock would cost the military half that much and a Sig less than that.
    Special Operators are Special and we can afford to buy them the best equipment. You can buy a lot of tuned 1911s for cost of one precision munition. Special Operations 1911 would be "budget dust". Not saying that 1911s are the best solution just saying that cost would not be the real overriding issue (might be the excuse though)

User Tag List