Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Shootability second to no polymer pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/10/06...in-compromise/

I would not argue that a lighter/higher capacity gun would make sense for a GP side arm but for someone with a direct action mission I can see the benefits of a 1911. I can get hits on multiple small moving targets at 25 yards with mine that I can not do with glocks.

I like mine, for purely nostalgic reasons.

Name:  IMG_20170413_195420.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170412_173430.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  66.9 KB

I was briefly given a MEU(SOC) 1911 to tote during a deployment. Since I grew up carrying a 1911 as a kid, it was a familiar feeling.

I was in the FMF when we transitioned from the 1911 baby-rattles to the Italian-built Beretta's. I loved the fact that I could hit anything I aimed at with the Beretta, unlike the 1911's which had eleventy-billion rounds through it.

My boss at the time wanted me to carry a 1911, so I uttered a crisp "Aye aye, Sir" and did so.

I got this one during the Gunbroker sale/debacle. A buddy has it right now, and has wrenched on it for me. It shoots very well now. @Wayne Dobbs looked it over when I got it, and recommended some work. My friend is pretty skilled, and has friends who are even more skilled. I'm sure it's very nice now. I'll get it back this fall.

Yeah, it was an impulse buy, and will eventually belong to a friend that was also a Marine. He carried a 1911 as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    He's a great shooter also. I shot beside him at a Hackathorn/Vickers handgun class and it didn't matter if he was shooting a Beretta 92 or a 1911, he was burning it down.
    Justin taught a two day handgun class that a buddy hosted here so I snagged a spot. If you ever get the chance to get in a class of his I highly recommend it. I don't believe he teaches open enrollment classes very often.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Force Recon still uses them
    That's cool!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yeah, I’m not really buying that. Like the marines adopting the M27 as a “SAW replacement” there are official reasons and real reasons.
    http://larvatus.com/manurhin-mr73-2/

A bit of a long and detailed read, but p-f member Michael Zeleny provides a detailed account of the MR73 selection and operational use with GIGN, as wella s the GIGN use of both the MR73 and Glocks in conjunction.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    http://larvatus.com/manurhin-mr73-2/

A bit of a long and detailed read, but p-f member Michael Zeleny provides a detailed account of the MR73 selection and operational use with GIGN, as wella s the GIGN use of both the MR73 and Glocks in conjunction.

Best, Jon
    I did not realize that the MR-73 had such an advantage in durability over Colt or S&W. It definitely makes me want one, although the price of a new one definitely reflects the difference in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I did not realize that the MR-73 had such an advantage in durability over Colt or S&W. It definitely makes me want one, although the price of a new one definitely reflects the difference in quality.
    The advantage over Colt and S&W didn't come as a huge surprise-what was interesting is that they felt compelled to improve on the Ruger -Six, after a period of license-building and issuing them (I believe that the sequence went: Security/Service Six to license-built Security/Service Six to Manhurin F1 to Manhurin MR88 (and now Chapuis Manhurin MR88).

What's always had me somewhat scratching my head is that if these revolvers are essentially copys or clones of the -Six, and the evolution essentially resulted in improved steel barrels and cylinders, why Manhurin felt compelled to travel away from the Ruger removable trigger group to field/detail disassemble, instead going back to a removable sideplate. The removable sideplate concept makes sense with the MR73 because of the essential action components and their manufacturing process, but to me the Ruger removable trigger group en bloc seems inherently stronger.

I agree that the Manhurin steels seem superior and offer significant durability and longevity, but Ruger -Six guns aren't exactly noted for falling apart-especially with 158 gr .357 magnum cartridges (versus the higher pressure 125 gr ones).

Perhaps it was to avoid patent infringements, or to facilitate French/Manhurin manufacturing techniques/technology, or perhaps just because they were French-vive la differance and all that....

Perhaps Michael Zeleny or others more knowledgeable will chime in.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.

As for Force Recon using the 1911, every single dude I've met from Force who then didn't later leave for MARSOC, task force or OGA was very much traditional Marine Corps mindset, and it was apparent that they had a culture of looking down on the more loose/less militaristic cultured units like MARSOC. @TiroFijo, the 1911 was a big oogie cookie for Marines, plain and simple. The same reason firefighters in the northeast US still like to do internal operations wearing an antique leather hat instead of a modern, objectively more safe and more comfortable dome piece, and the same reason you can still see cops in some US locales wearing a six-shooter with spare ammo carried in individual loops.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/10/06...in-compromise/

I would not argue that a lighter/higher capacity gun would make sense for a GP side arm but for someone with a direct action mission I can see the benefits of a 1911. I can get hits on multiple small moving targets at 25 yards with mine that I can not do with glocks.
    No disrespect to Mr. Haley, but the pointiest of the pointy tip of the spear units with the highest levels of direct action/in-extremis hostage rescue missions, and the highest probability of using pistols for low probability shots, have all migrated away from the 1911.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The advantage over Colt and S&W didn't come as a huge surprise-what was interesting is that they felt compelled to improve on the Ruger -Six, after a period of license-building and issuing them (I believe that the sequence went: Security/Service Six to license-built Security/Service Six to Manhurin F1 to Manhurin MR88 (and now Chapuis Manhurin MR88).

What's always had me somewhat scratching my head is that if these revolvers are essentially copys or clones of the -Six, and the evolution essentially resulted in improved steel barrels and cylinders, why Manhurin felt compelled to travel away from the Ruger removable trigger group to field/detail disassemble, instead going back to a removable sideplate. The removable sideplate concept makes sense with the MR73 because of the essential action components and their manufacturing process, but to me the Ruger removable trigger group en bloc seems inherently stronger.

I agree that the Manhurin steels seem superior and offer significant durability and longevity, but Ruger -Six guns aren't exactly noted for falling apart-especially with 158 gr .357 magnum cartridges (versus the higher pressure 125 gr ones).

Perhaps it was to avoid patent infringements, or to facilitate French/Manhurin manufacturing techniques/technology, or perhaps just because they were French-vive la differance and all that....

Perhaps Michael Zeleny or others more knowledgeable will chime in.

Best, Jon
    @bac1023 is also pretty knowledgeable on these as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As for Force Recon using the 1911, every single dude I've met from Force who then didn't later leave for MARSOC, task force or OGA was very much traditional Marine Corps mindset, and it was apparent that they had a culture of looking down on the more loose/less militaristic cultured units like MARSOC. @TiroFijo, the 1911 was a big oogie cookie for Marines, plain and simple.
    I’ll agree with this. I’m a Marine and have worked with Recon, Rangers, SF, SEALs, PJs, DEA, NSW, EOD, Marsoc, OGA, and Delta. By far, the ones with the greatest “more high-speed than you” aloof attitudes were Recon. Post relevant information: half the Recon platoons had M9s whereas the MEF Recon guys mostly had M45s.

Virtually all the Marsoc dudes have no interest in the 1911s and run the Glocks both on and off duty. Which I am kinda fine with cause I just go from one to the next asking for their issued WC magazines!
    Last edited by TOTS; 07-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.

User Tag List