Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

As a former field-grade Army officer with some decent troop-leadership time, having been issued a M1911 and M1911A1 in the distant past when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I would take a Glock G19, G17 or G21 (or a Gen4 G22) in a heartbeat over a 1911-any 1911.

It's a good article-one of the best I've ever seen out of American Rifleman-but while I appreciate and enjoy my 3 1911s, in my opinion a Glock is simply a superior battlefield implement. They're lighter, less maintenance intensive, more easily field- and detail-disassembled, more weather impervious, and significantly higher capacity (which actually can be a viable consideration in a military pistol).

I understand the appeal of these USMC 1911s, but from a practical standpoint the selection of a Glock just makes far more sense-and the inherent accuracy increases of the Gen5s make it even more compelling.

As a sidebar note, I saw some of the images of the decommissioned M1945A1s that were offered; one of them had been crudely graced with a Sharpie rendition of a penis and testicles on one side of the slide. As a Gunnery Sergeant buddy of mine succinctly said, shaking his head when we were discussing it, said example had been effectively "Lance Criminalized." The authenticity of THAT example is certainly unquestioned...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For the same reason the French Elite units still maintain .357 revolvers - panache and they are part of their image.

There is psychological value in that image both within (esprite de Corps) and when projected outside.
    Actually, my understanding is that GIGN officers carry BOTH a MR73 in .357 magnum, and a Glock 17; the MR73 is intended to be the initial/primary pistol due to its accuracy and .357 magnum chambering (and there are several sub-variants available depending upon the GIGN officer's specific role), but after initial use or as events dictate, the officer will likely transition to the Glock.

The MR73s are retained for very pragmatic reasons, not just for romantic appeal; similarly with their selection and use of Glocks.

A new Chapuis Manhurin MR73 and/or MR88 are high on my bucket list of desirable; nice as it is, a USMC M45A1 or a Colt commercial facsimile of it, not so much.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-02-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As a former field-grade Army officer with some decent troop-leadership time, having been issued a M1911 and M1911A1 in the distant past when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I would take a Glock G19, G17 or G21 (or a Gen4 G22) in a heartbeat over a 1911-any 1911.

It's a good article-one of the best I've ever seen out of American Rifleman-but while I appreciate and enjoy my 3 1911s, in my opinion a Glock is simply a superior battlefield implement. They're lighter, less maintenance intensive, more easily field- and detail-disassembled, more weather impervious, and significantly higher capacity (which actually can be a viable consideration in a military pistol).

I understand the appeal of these USMC 1911s, but from a practical standpoint the selection of a Glock just makes far more sense-and the inherent accuracy increases of the Gen5s make it even more compelling.

As a sidebar note, I saw some of the images of the decommissioned M1945A1s that were offered; one of them had been crudely graced with a Sharpie rendition of a penis and testicles on one side of the slide. As a Gunnery Sergeant buddy of mine succinctly said, shaking his head when we were discussing it, said example had been effectively "Lance Criminalized." The authenticity of THAT example is certainly unquestioned...

Best, Jon

And both MARSOC and the Marine SOF unit that predated them were already rolling with G19s when the M45 was being selected. An industry guy supplying them (and a made man on LF forum back then) tipped me to that. G19s listed in unclassified briefing slides of their combat pistol. As he noted, they already had the pistol they wanted.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Agree with many of previous comments.

I kind of want one just because...USMC. Very strong sex appeal and don't currently own any 1911's. Wish they marked them as decommissioned in a different way.

IMO, one or another variant of HK USP 45 should have been the only issued 45's in the past 20 years.

And not a Glock guy but I understand the G19's desirability. I carry a Walther 99/PPQ pretty often for the same reasons even though I'm really a hammer-fired DA/SA guy at heart. 2lbs with a healthy mag onboard and a grip just big enough is nice while doing everything day to day. The more active you are, the better 2lbs is.

Sweat, dust, lint, cheetos, etc. only show up on slide serrations and base of sights, can clean when you get around to it. Basic armorer skills replace jacked up or worn part without fitting/gunsmith.

Still - picky, high maintenance chicks are lots of fun despite headaches or heartbeaks and life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    He's a great shooter also. I shot beside him at a Hackathorn/Vickers handgun class and it didn't matter if he was shooting a Beretta 92 or a 1911, he was burning it down.
    No kidding. I think he may have set the course record for Hackathorn’s Tri-Presidente on the second day of that class.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And both MARSOC and the Marine SOF unit that predated them were already rolling with G19s when the M45 was being selected. An industry guy supplying them (and a made man on LF forum back then) tipped me to that. G19s listed in unclassified briefing slides of their combat pistol. As he noted, they already had the pistol they wanted.
    Yup. He also had several G19s, a couple with problems, but the ones that ran RAN!

pat

Site Supporter
    Actually, my understanding is that GIGN officers carry BOTH a MR73 in .357 magnum, and a Glock 17; the MR73 is intended to be the initial/primary pistol due to its accuracy and .357 magnum chambering (and there are several sub-variants available depending upon the GIGN officer's specific role), but after initial use or as events dictate, the officer will likely transition to the Glock.

The MR73s are retained for very pragmatic reasons, not just for romantic appeal; similarly with their selection and use of Glocks.

A new Chapuis Manhurin MR73 and/or MR88 are high on my bucket list of desirable; nice as it is, a USMC M45A1 or a Colt commercial facsimile of it, not so much.

Best, Jon
    Yeah, I’m not really buying that. Like the marines adopting the M27 as a “SAW replacement” there are official reasons and real reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Are any of these 1911s still in use by the USMC? Why?? Is there anything they do that cannot be accomplished by the G19?

The article states that... "the M45 serves on with a few specialized Marine Corps units and is expected to for a few more years".
    Shootability second to no polymer pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Force Recon still uses them

Thanks for posting - I've always found the last iterations of the 1911 in Army and USMC service fascinating. I enjoyed building my own replica of one of the many MEUSOC M45 variants - they're a fun rabbit hole for 1911 geeks. But in the last two decades the USMC also turned to a number of small commercial procurements to supplement the MEUSOC pistols built in-house by PWS armorers, including the Kimber ICQB, the Springfield Professional (many of which were horribly tortured into MEUSOC configuration), and (most intriguing to me) a run of Springfield Custom pistol built to USMC specifications in 2007. The Colt M45A1 was the last 1911 procurement, but personally I find it less compelling than these other models. The Colt M45A1's fielding was problematic from the start (besides the finish issues documented in the American Rifleman story, they had significant problems during testing with frame cracking).

Plus the roll mark is hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Are any of these 1911s still in use by the USMC? Why?? Is there anything they do that cannot be accomplished by the G19?
    Just to note, the G19 is available to MARSOC via SOCOM MFP11 funding, and they have moved on from the Colt. Force Reconnaissance is not SOCOM or MARSOC and so are limited to USMC firearms, which do not include the G19 (notwithstanding the very recent and short lived 'M007' purchase). I'm not arguing the point that the G19 is the better choice as a modern service pistol, but bureaucratically the MARSOC transition to the G19 was relatively easy to accomplish because they are a SOCOM organization. I suspect Force Reconnaissance will move to the M18 when those become available.

Besides MARSOC and Force Reconnaissance, the M45A1 has also been used by USMC Military Police SRT members.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For the same reason the French Elite units still maintain .357 revolvers - panache and they are part of their image.
    Actually, my understanding is that GIGN officers carry BOTH a MR73 in .357 magnum, and a Glock 17...
    GIGN's sister unit, GIPN, also issued the MR73. If GIPN's deployment after the 2015 Paris attacks offers any insight, the MR73 stays home.

But they bring all the Glocks.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List