Thread: PVD vs Stainless Nitride?

PVD vs Stainless Nitride?

What is the difference between a PVD finished slide and Stainless Nitride? Does one wear better than the other?

I want to replace a Glock 19 Gen 3 factory slide that needs replaced. I am looking at the Brownell's Glock slides and they are offered in PVD and Nitride. Are these a solid replacement? And would you pick the PVD or Stainless Nitride option?

PVD is a physical layer that is coating the slide. Nitriding is simply a surface treatment. Really, in this situation, I'm pretty sure the primary factor is, what color do you want your slide? If you want it black, nitride, if you want it FDE or bronze or whatever, PVD. The PVD will likely be a bit more susceptible to holster wear, but since the underlying steel is stainless anyway, I don't think it's a big deal if you're worried specifically about corrosion.

Site Supporter
    The Brownells slides are good replacements. Regarding which surface treatment, I agree with the above post.

I personally would have zero reason to go PVD, it's just done for the color. Nitride is all that's needed.

Yes the Brownells slides are a great bang for the buck. Very solid and well-made.

Thank you for the input. Exactly what I wanted to know.

User Tag List