Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The M45A1 competition results weren’t exactly confidence inspiring. I was surprised at the high number of cracked slides at relatively low round counts.
    Well, to be fair, that's the point of destructive testing, and the slides/frames were redesigned (beefed up) to make them more rugged...hence why the earlier Colt RGs have some different dimensions/steel thickness compared to the post-M45A1 trial RGs.

eta: robinson beat me while I was typing; wasn't intentionally piling on.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, to be fair, that's the point of destructive testing, and the slides/frames were redesigned (beefed up) to make them more rugged...hence why the earlier Colt RGs have some different dimensions/steel thickness compared to the post-M45A1 trial RGs.

Totally fair point. But I’d also like to think by 2011 Colt had this formula pretty figured out (particularly before entering a military competition) and yet the M45A1 had its share of hiccups. I’d like to know how Springfield Armory managed to lose the competition, especially considering their history of providing parts and some complete pistols to the Corps.

I think the surprise performer in the tests were the original Wilson 47 magazines. Impressive showing.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Nice!

Are you going to stick with the 7 round mags?

I pinched myself pretty bad with the Wilson 47, so I think I might stick with the 8 round ETM, regardless of it not being original and sticking out a quarter inch. It sports the 10 round ETM when being used for HD.

BTW, did you time the grip screws so they matched up so perfectly? If so, there's a joke in there about your M45A1 being "gunny timed".

Stuff from today's range day down at the Brunswick County LE Range. As you can see the .45 stuff was a grab bag of mags that I had already loaded. Mostly various Wilsons and a few Chip McCormicks....I use the 8 rounders for USPSA single stack major, other than that i'm pretty mag agnostic. All my mid tier production 1911s run with all of these mags so I don't really worry about it. The 9mm ones like those ten round Wilsons tho... The grip screws were how it came, looks my grip might have shifted the top one a little today....

Name:  20210523_203044.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  59.1 KB
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 05-23-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Grammar is gud
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The M45A1 competition results weren’t exactly confidence inspiring. I was surprised at the high number of cracked slides at relatively low round counts.
    That’s putting it mildly, given the shenanigans that went on with the testing. I’ve got a devastating email from ToddG critiquing the testing, I need to dig it up.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’s putting it mildly, given the shenanigans that went on with the testing. I’ve got a devastating email from ToddG critiquing the testing, I need to dig it up.
    Would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Would love to see it.
    Same!

The "redesign" actually involved some thickness changes in the slide or just relocation of the front grasping grooves?

What happened to the double recoil spring setup of the M45A1? Does Colt still offers it today in other models? If not, why?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What happened to the double recoil spring setup of the M45A1? Does Colt still offers it today in other models? If not, why?
    I was wondering this myself the other day. I'm pretty sure it's still in the Delta Elite models, since that is where it originated, but I don't know about the full size 45 models. They don't advertise it as a feature anymore, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I was wondering this myself the other day. I'm pretty sure it's still in the Delta Elite models, since that is where it originated, but I don't know about the full size 45 models. They don't advertise it as a feature anymore, that's for sure.
    My government model Competition chambered in .45 ACP has the double recoil system, as did my commander Combat Elite also in .45 ACP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The "redesign" actually involved some thickness changes in the slide or just relocation of the front grasping grooves?

They redesigned the FCS cuts and moved them further forward to eliminate any sharp edges where the lower part containing the recoil spring meets the larger part of the slide.

The dual recoil spring setup came out of the fact that during the test, the single recoil springs were pretty well trashed after several thousand rounds and weren't being replaced. Colt still uses them on several current models.

User Tag List