Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

I can't think of a single task I'd choose a 1911 for over other pistol types. The thing is a dinosaur best left to history and recreation.
    Well yeah, but so is the snub nose revolver or the lever action rifle.

But there are some niche applications for a private citizen. Especially one living in the communis....erm...progressive areas of this country with magazine capacity restrictions. At that point, if I'm only getting ten rounds, I want a full size gun that can do less than a 2 inch group at 25 yards and has a light recoil impulse. That, to me, means a 9mm 1911, so that's what I carry.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Well yeah, but so is the snub nose revolver or the lever action rifle.
    Neither one of which would be my first choice either, unless the only other options were a cap and ball revolver and a flintlock rifle.

Make your choices and take your chances. It's up to you and I personally have no vested interest in what someone chooses to carry. If I HAD to break out Gods Gun and carry it again I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. On the other hand, one shouldn't get ones panties in bunched up status when it's pointed out that their choice isn't an optimal one. There's a rather large difference in making a choice based on legal restrictions and one made on emotion and nostalgia. Using the former to make a point is a bit of a straw man argument when we're talking about mechanical capabilities.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-04-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Don't get me wrong, I have zero disagreement that the 1911 isn't the best platform available for military or police applications. And in truth you can just get ban state mags for whatever guns are out there and be just fine, so even in that instance, the 1911 does boil down to being an emotional choice.

But I wouldn't think anybody who carries a 1911 carries it because they think it's a logically better choice than a (insert wondernine blaster).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my 1911s and revolvers, and certainly wouldn't feel that they (and I with them) couldn't be utilized effectively defensively if necessary. But given the option of having and having available one of my Glocks, HKs, Beretta, et al, I think I'd likely be either better served, or have a tool with greater situational applicability and flexibility than with a 1911 or revolver.

I understand situational/organizational/legal constraints that can affect or significantly limit choices. I get that. But hypothetically, if I was restricted to, say, a Glock G19 with a 10 round magazine vs a 1911 or revolver, I'd still likely choose the G19-for how it ergonomically indexes with me, for it's carryability, for its ease in reloading, for its ease in carrying spare magazines, low maintenance, weather resistance, ease in maintenance, etc.

Today's literally a case in point. My wife gave me a Colt Series 70 for an anniversary, and we plan on spending the day together at a local open air 4th of July festival, with thousands of participants. One one hand, the Series 70 (which I've vetted and am competent with) would be a nice commemorative carry choice-both as a piece of Americana, my Army background, and our relationship. However, instead I'm choosing to carry my Glock G19, for the simple reason (among the other intrinsic ones that I've discussed) that if a situation arises where I need to pass a gun to my wife (or if she needs to take it over if I'm incapacitated) the G19 is far easier for her to index with and effectively use, and its lighter weight is a significant factor in her ease of use as well. Plus it's a pick up, aim and pull trigger if necessary; no other levers or controls need to be activated or deactivated for her to use it, which, for a non-dedicated user, can be important in an impromptu emergency use situation.

Trooper224's comments sums things up nicely, in my opinion.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is when USMC Recon ran the Meusoc Guns they had to have two guns per shooter. They would use one during training for a deployment or a float, turn those in for PMCS / rebuild and get newly wrenched guns for actual use and the next training up.
    Force Recon would also deploy with a Small Arms Repairer/Technician (MOS 2111) as part of the platoon to keep those guns running.
    Last edited by Andy in NH; 07-04-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I understand situational/organizational/legal constraints that can affect or significantly limit choices. I get that. But hypothetically, if I was restricted to, say, a Glock G19 with a 10 round magazine vs a 1911 or revolver, I'd still likely choose the G19-for how it ergonomically indexes with me, for it's carryability, for its ease in reloading, for its ease in carrying spare magazines, low maintenance, weather resistance, ease in maintenance, etc.
    I don’t think I’d go G19 if restricted to 10 rounds. Maybe things have improved, but my experience with neutered Glock mags haven’t been 100%. I know others on here have experienced the same. Not saying I’d go 1911 either.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my 1911s and revolvers, and certainly wouldn't feel that they (and I with them) couldn't be utilized effectively defensively if necessary. But given the option of having and having available one of my Glocks, HKs, Beretta, et al, I think I'd likely be either better served, or have a tool with greater situational applicability and flexibility than with a 1911 or revolver.

Today's literally a case in point. My wife gave me a Colt Series 70 for an anniversary, and we plan on spending the day together at a local open air 4th of July festival, with thousands of participants. One one hand, the Series 70 (which I've vetted and am competent with) would be a nice commemorative carry choice-both as a piece of Americana, my Army background, and our relationship. However, instead I'm choosing to carry my Glock G19, for the simple reason (among the other intrinsic ones that I've discussed) that if a situation arises where I need to pass a gun to my wife (or if she needs to take it over if I'm incapacitated) the G19 is far easier for her to index with and effectively use, and its lighter weight is a significant factor in her ease of use as well. Plus it's a pick up, aim and pull trigger if necessary; no other levers or controls need to be activated or deactivated for her to use it, which, for a non-dedicated user, can be important in an impromptu emergency use situation.

Trooper224's comments sums things up nicely, in my opinion.

Best, Jon
    Glock 19s might be point and shoot guns, but that doesn't automatically translate into being a point and hit gun. Simple doesn't equal easy.

1911s have almost universally been the pistol that new shooters, especially women, shoot the best with the least amount of training. It's been my experience that mastering that super complex 1911 thumb safety is easier than dealing with the width and unforgiving trigger pull of a Glock.

The plastic guns are logical if you wanna carry a whole buncha ammo on the cheap, but there are still very legitimate reasons that make a 1911 a viable sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Glock 19s might be point and shoot guns, but that doesn't automatically translate into being a point and hit gun. Simple doesn't equal easy.

1911s have almost universally been the pistol that new shooters, especially women, shoot the best with the least amount of training. It's been my experience that mastering that super complex 1911 thumb safety is easier than dealing with the width and unforgiving trigger pull of a Glock.

The plastic guns are logical if you wanna carry a whole buncha ammo on the cheap, but there are still very legitimate reasons that make a 1911 a viable sidearm.
    My lone 1911 in 9mm is my wife's favorite shooter. In fact, it isn't really my gun anymore, if you know what I mean.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    But I wouldn't think anybody who carries a 1911 carries it because they think it's a logically better choice than a (insert wondernine blaster).
    I shoot 1911s measurably better than other guns, with the exception of the G17 which I also carry when I can. How well I place my first nine rounds matters much, much more to me than most other factors. So for me at least, the 1911 is first a rational choice.

I think we can consider revolvers to be likely to be an emotional choice in many cases, but making that point about the 1911 versus “modern” service weapons reflects a preoccupation with inconsequential increments.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My lone 1911 in 9mm is my wife's favorite shooter. In fact, it isn't really my gun anymore, if you know what I mean.
    I have really been wanting to try a 9mm double stack 1911. The capacity is there, and I have heard the new STI line is really reliable but I have been wondering if they require the same maintenance intervals as a traditional single stack.

User Tag List