Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Last Of The Breed: Marine Corps M45A1

Good article about the M45A1 by Justin Dyal.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art..._campaign=0719

Nice. I was issued one of the older Quantico built guns in my short career as Reconnaissance Marine in the early-mid 2000s.

One of my students got one of these and it is pretty cool. Maybe not the ideal carry gun, but an intriguing piece of history nonetheless. I'd love to have one...I just wouldn't want to have to pay for it.

Justin Dyal is a friend of this forum, I met him at ToddG’s Memorial shoot where he spoke.
    #RESIST

He's a great shooter also. I shot beside him at a Hackathorn/Vickers handgun class and it didn't matter if he was shooting a Beretta 92 or a 1911, he was burning it down.

Are any of these 1911s still in use by the USMC? Why?? Is there anything they do that cannot be accomplished by the G19?

The article states that... "the M45 serves on with a few specialized Marine Corps units and is expected to for a few more years".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Are any of these 1911s still in use by the USMC? Why?? Is there anything they do that cannot be accomplished by the G19?

The article states that... "the M45 serves on with a few specialized Marine Corps units and is expected to for a few more years".
    A G19 is a great gun. But this is the USMC. Chesty Puller used a 1911 in .45 ACP. A G19 can not become a 1911, nor shoot .45. For some, that will be reason enough to never switch.

Site Supporter

For the same reason the French Elite units still maintain .357 revolvers - panache and they are part of their image.

There is psychological value in that image both within (esprite de Corps) and when projected outside.

I've been out of the loop for a while, but maybe institutional inertia...I don't know. The MEUSOC 1911s (the older "Quantico built" guns) have been in use for a long time by the Force Recon Companies (or Direct Action/Deep Reconnaissance platoons if the Force mission is housed inside a Division level Reconnaissance unit, like 3rd Recon Bn. in Okinawa).
    Last edited by UniSol; 07-02-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    A G19 is a great gun. But this is the USMC. Chesty Puller used a 1911 in .45 ACP. A G19 can not become a 1911, nor shoot .45. For some, that will be reason enough to never switch.
    Not for this Marine.
    #RESIST

User Tag List