Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry’s Holsters “Icon” Thread

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    The phlster tuckstrut has a built in wedge and ive seen them set up with dcc clips and the like. No personal experience with round guns but it's one of my favorite attachments for autos

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop...-retrofit-kit/

Then it would function like their city special j frame holster

Edit: now that i look at it, it will probably make that holster ride too low with the way the spacing is
    I just deconstructed my city special and it won't work for the reason you stated For now I am thinking something like this. Superglue or some other bonding agent could probably work. This would give more inboard roll to the grip.

Attachment 39640

ETA: you could probably make the strut work if you cut the top and bottom loops for screws off and drilled your own screw holes to accommodate spacing to achieve the same thing but being the lazy MF I am at the moment I think using the speed bump from an RCS claw would be easier.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-01-2019 at 07:56 PM.

The TuckStrut can be added to pretty much any snubby holster that accepts RCS struts.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I just ordered my second one with the discount code.

I went a little batshit on J-Frames over the last few years so if I end up with an extra TEOTWAWKI will not occur. My take is that I really like the more subtle and IMO appropriate DCC clip is a nice match. I have a DSG and really like it, but (again) IMO the DSG is maybe more tailored to those who might be using a revolver as a primary in hostile environments. When I am going to the grocery, or salad bar, or waiting for the dog to shit I want something simple and easy to slip on and off (like when I am in the gym parking lot, or after watching Bosch) but would maybe drop down low for concealment, just like @Dagga Boy mentioned about Pat Rodgers doing behind his speed loaders back in the day.

I did drop my clip down (ETA: This really means moving the clip UP) on my DSG, and I ordered a DCC clip that will let me try this with the Icon (Mod 4 - Universal/Height adjustable HLR Discreet Gear Clip). With elastic waistband pants I want something lower. I also want to shorten the Icon to fit in a couple of my stash places, as I did with my DSG (since I do not have a 2.25" J-Frame (anymore...).

One concern is that I have a 360PD and it does not fit well. It is ~.010" larger diameter. I corresponded with Harry and let him know. Part of the reason I bought a second one is to try and heat one up and see if I can make the 360PD fit better.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-01-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Good info in this thread. Many thanks.

I'll be honest, I have the earlier version of Tom's (DSG) J-frame holster and I can find very little to nitpick. It works with or without a wedge and is secure in virtually any setup. Holds the 642 like a champ but lets it go with just the right amount of pull.

I probably wouldn't even consider the Icon if it weren't for the fact that the new Duluth pants and shorts I purchased recently fit differently, (higher rise, thicker material at the waistline), and have the belt loops in a slightly different position. This causes the J to print just a tad more than with my other shorts / trousers...but only very little, and fit a little differently in the inguinal crease.

Figured it couldn't hurt to see if there is just enough difference that it would work with the Duluth duds just a little better than the DSG does.

Options are good.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (higher rise, thicker material at the waistline)
    Options are good.
    Retired guys may have more time to exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Retired guys may have more time to exercise...
    I didn't say I needed a higher rise or thicker material. I challenge you to "feats of strength" during Festivus!!!

(I lifted today, thank you very much, whippersnapper. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I challenge you to "feats of strength" during Festivus!!!
    I concede!!!! I am still trying to recover from my most recent shoulder injury, that I am pretty sure I sustained doing a spreadsheet!!!

ETA:
    (I lifted today, thank you very much, whippersnapper. )
    Your "Whippersnapper" is sixty... (recently...)
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-01-2019 at 08:57 PM.

No gripes with Tom's stuff either, rock solid holster the only reason it didn't work for me all the time was the wide clip with some pants/belts because of belt loop placement, (that was before the DCC clips came onto the scene). Tom's holster with DCC clips would be excellent I'm certain. I also think the City Special with a DCC clip would be excellent. These days it seems like you can find an excellent holster or gun with little effort. Golden age as DB put it.

ETA: @Hizzie thanks for the heads up. I just snagged a two sets, one still new in box.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-01-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One concern is that I have a 360PD and it does not fit well. It is ~.010" larger diameter. I corresponded with Harry and let him know. Part of the reason I bought a second one is to try and heat one up and see if I can make the 360PD fit better.
    Reoccurring theme with figment on scandium pattern guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Reoccurring theme with figment on scandium pattern guns.
    Interesting, I immediately attributed it to the cylinder (since it was bigger). I have several examples here I could swap around to see if it is the frame or the cylinder.

ETA: When I get the new one maybe I will mix and match and try stuff.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.

User Tag List