Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry’s Holsters “Icon” Thread

Harry’s Holsters “Icon” Thread

Let’s try to consolidate everyone’s pics and experiences here.

I received my Harry’s a few weeks ago. The first shell was bad. It was a poor fit with my 642 and horrible with my 43c. I contacted Harry’s. Harrison responded back and asked a few questions. He sent me out a new shell only. I swapped the clip over once it arrived. The new shell fit the 43c fine. The Icon adjusted for the 43c doesn’t really fit the 642 well. So there are some dimensional differences between the two. I played with it a bit. I haven’t started carrying it yet as the 43c is not yet tested enough for me to carry.

http://instagram.com/p/By5AA2kgNu6/

http://instagram.com/p/BzDUtdjA7S_/

*Received a sales email from Harry’s. The code “Freedom1776” is good till July 7th.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-01-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

So, this doesn't seem like a particularly strong endorsement for those carrying a 642.

I have a DSG holster for the 642 that sees pretty much daily use and was wondering if this might in any way offer advantages.

On the other hand, Irelander seems to like his quite a bit though I don't know if he has a DSG to compare it to or not.

Comments?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ve seen pics of Claude using various J’s with his. It fits the 642 fine when adjusted for it. I think it’s a 43c issue. Weight on the Icon is 64g.

ETA:

I anticipate comparing the Icon vs the Apollo soon. I love my DSG but it’s for the SP101 and made prior to the improvements that eventually became the Apollo.

ETA-2: @Mike C those are OG Uncle Mikes boot grips designed by Craig Spegel. They are speedloader friendly.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So, this doesn't seem like a particularly strong endorsement for those carrying a 642.

I have a DSG holster for the 642 that sees pretty much daily use and was wondering if this might in any way offer advantages.

On the other hand, Irelander seems to like his quite a bit though I don't know if he has a DSG to compare it to or not.

Comments?
    Not Hizzie but I have two of these holsters. They are an excellent design and I really like them. With the single DCC clip I can get it at just the right spot to tuck the grip, (as Irelander stated) I couldn't achieve this with the DSG holster due to the wider metal clip. There is some play laterally/forward and back with a 642 that I have. Once in the waist band with a belt play is reduced. This was not an issue with the DSG J frame holster I had. That sucker locked up tighter than a chastity belt. You can cinch down the retention screw and the gun will not fall out when flipped upside down and shaken but I can understand not liking any play of the gun in the holster, (just leaves room for shit to fall down in the holster). If it were a striker fired gun I wouldn't use the holster that has play like that but since it is a DA revolver I am pretty comfortable with it, I would be more so if there is an exposed hammer vs shrouded.

@Hizzie, which grips are on your 43c? They look like they would work well on a 642 with the Comp 1's, do you know if they do? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-01-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks, Mike. Might have to give one a try.

ETA: Ordered. (Thanks for the discount code, Hizzie.)

Worth a try. Worst case I'll send it back or give it away.
    Last edited by blues; 07-01-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I noticed some comments recently about the Icon HERE by @Mark D. He can chime in and expound on those comments if he wants, but his experience and thoughts in that post mirror my own.

I really like the Icon for comfort, quality, and value, but it doesn't conceal well for me. I've since added some velcro and a foam wedge to the back, which helps, but I still can't conceal my 638 with LG-405 grips in a t-shirt and shorts.

I need something that tucks like a claw, so I've been brainstorming on ways to do it, but I haven't come up with a longterm and durable solution yet.

And pics because everybody likes pics...

Last edited by StraitR; 07-01-2019 at 06:10 PM.

IMHO the only thing that could make this holster a little better is 1. a slightly tighter fitment to gun, and 2. (probably more important) is a speed bump on the trigger guard like the Tenicor Velo has that gives a little extra tuck without needing a claw. If I actually had any pull I'd ask to get one made. I suppose I'll have to see if I can come up with a solution on my own.

@Hizzie or anyone else who knows. Where can one easily obtain the OG Boot Grips. My understanding is that they stopped making them.
    Last edited by Mike C; 07-01-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

@Hizzie or anyone else who knows. Where can one easily obtain the OG Boot Grips. My understanding is that they stopped making them.

eBay has several pairs currently.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I noticed some comments recently about the Icon HERE by @Mark D. He can chime in and expound on those comments if he wants, but his experience and thoughts in that post mirror my own.

I really like the Icon for comfort, quality, and value, but it doesn't conceal well for me. I've since added some velcro and a foam wedge to the back, which helps, but I still can't conceal my 638 with LG-405 grips in a t-shirt and shorts.

I need something that tucks like a claw, so I've been brainstorming on ways to do it, but I haven't come up with a longterm and durable solution yet.

And pics because everybody likes pics...

The phlster tuckstrut has a built in wedge and ive seen them set up with dcc clips and the like. No personal experience with round guns but it's one of my favorite attachments for autos

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop...-retrofit-kit/

Then it would function like their city special j frame holster

Edit: now that i look at it, it will probably make that holster ride too low with the way the spacing is
    Last edited by backtrail540; 07-01-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Tracker Dan clip allows the ride height to not be so deep.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List