Thread: Are there any mountain bikers present? Need fatbike/plus bike recommendations.

Are there any mountain bikers present? Need fatbike/plus bike recommendations.

So, I used to be a die hard trail rider. I had a real high spec full suspension Trek Fuel EX that I bought new in 2008, and I probably rode my local singletrack course (18 miles) 5x per week for several years. I got married in 2013 and rode less and less. Two kids later and I'm full on dadbod. My oldest is starting to get the hang of pedaling, so I'm going to purchase a real bike for him and I'm going to drop some coin on one for myself too.

I'm looking at a 29+ Trek Stache, and either a Kona Wozo or Trek Farley with a suspension fork. I'll throw the Santa Cruz Chameleon in there too, just because I remember lusting after one back in the day. I know I've got three different classes of bikes mentioned all for different purposes and I do understand the limitations of each. Intended use is trail riding and baddassary, the real world use will likely be family trips to Dairy Queen and general exercise.

Anyone run a fat bike for all 4 seasons? Any experience with any of the above? Any comments appreciated.

Watching with interest. Never been very deep into bikes, but am interesting in getting into the biking equivalent of day hiking (as opposed to bike-packing) i.e., casual but potentially extended trail riding/touring. I have been eyeballing Fat Bikes, but in my limited understanding, I think that they are an extreme end of the spectrum/specialized - but they look like a lot of fun. I have been contemplating a 29er plus size as a "compromise" and justify that with the fact that I am 6'4", 210ish.

I would love it if someone here could contextualize bikes as pistols. I think I am looking for the Glock 17 (not 19) of the biking world.

ETA: I have been eyeballing the Trek Farley as well.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 07-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here's a good long-runnning thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Mountain-bikes

I own a Wozo that I use as a 4 season hardtail. In winter it lives with the stock 4.8/4.0 26” tires. But I bought a spare 29” wheel set and ride it in both 3” 29 (plus) configuration or more commonly with DHF 2.5s. I have it set up with a 140mm Manitou Mastodon and an angle set and it serves quite well in the trail/enduro hardtail category.

There are some photos and discussions about it in the above linked thread and in this one also IIRC:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22599-Bikes!

Hammertime
    The Trek Stache would seem to have the fun factor pegged with the short chainstays, and it would be my choice for a hardtail.

I generally think fat bikes have way too much tire for normal trails and have been quite satisfied with the current 29X2.5" offerings for all sorts of riding. Now if you are riding sand or snow it is an entirely different matter. I personally don't want to push all the weight of fat tires on standard trails. But we do a lot of climbing, in a flat area they may be fine.

All that being said, I just bought my first 29+ (29x3.0") bike after a crazy fun demo ride. I have no time on it yet, so we'll see if I love it or not. It could be the best compromise.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 07-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I own a Wozo that I use as a 4 season hardtail. In winter it lives with the stock 4.8/4.0 26” tires. But I bought a spare 29” wheel set and ride it in both 3” 29 (plus) configuration or more commonly with DHF 2.5s. I have it set up with a 140mm Manitou Mastodon and an angle set and it serves quite well in the trail/enduro hardtail category.

There are some photos and discussions about it in the above linked thread and in this one also IIRC:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22599-Bikes!
    Those bikes you posted in that thread are pretty sick, as are those trails. I'm leaning toward the Wozo for a do it all. You posted up some pics of a couple SC's too? In your opinion, are you paying for the logo as opposed to build kit when buying a Santa Cruz? Also, the Wozo and the Farley 7 are pretty comparably priced with the Trek having a few component upgrades (NX vs SLX or GX; dropper post, etc..)? Would you buy a Wozo over the Farley today if both were around $2300?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The Trek Stache would seem to have the fun factor pegged with the short chainstays, and it would be my choice for a hardtail.

I generally think fat bikes have way too much tire for normal trails and have been quite satisfied with the current 29X2.5" offerings for all sorts of riding. Now if you are riding sand or snow it is an entirely different matter. I personally don't want to push all the weight of fat tires on standard trails. But we do a lot of climbing, in a flat area they may be fine.

All that being said, I just bought my first 29+ (29x3.0") bike after a crazy fun demo ride. I have no time on it yet, so we'll see if I love it or not. It could be the best compromise.
    The Stache is a strong contender with me. Actually, I love it. My issue is the model in my price range has a god awful maroon paint job and I cannot locate a used 17.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    Those bikes you posted in that thread are pretty sick, as are those trails. I'm leaning toward the Wozo for a do it all. You posted up some pics of a couple SC's too? In your opinion, are you paying for the logo as opposed to build kit when buying a Santa Cruz? Also, the Wozo and the Farley 7 are pretty comparably priced with the Trek having a few component upgrades (NX vs SLX or GX; dropper post, etc..)? Would you buy a Wozo over the Farley today if both were around $2300?
    I ride an Ibis Ripley as my primary bike. It’s the other bike (the black one) in my posts. I don’t own a Santa Cruz currently. And I’ve not priced them recently, although they seem to be in line with the other boutique brands. They do offer one of the best warrantees in the business though.

If I didn’t have the need for a true snow bike (I do) I’d probably be on a different rig. I bought the Wozo as a dedicated fat bike and have since used it as a bit of an experiment to dabble with different wheel sizes, tire width and geometry choices. It’s super versatile fun and works great for that purpose. But I think my favorite configuration for it is probably the 2.5-2.6” x 29 realm. And there are a lot of great hardtails these days with normal hub widths that’ll get you there.

The only thing I can say is that I’d really recommend actually demoing before buying and using those impressions to make a decision. And I’d mention that I’d agree with the good Doc in that pedaling around a fat tire on dirt isn’t my favorite thing to do. And is why I bought the second wheel set for the Wozo in the first place.

User Tag List