Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Combative training or martial arts for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    If it were my kids, I'd limit their training to maybe learning some basic self-defense skills safely at the most. I'd be extremely cautious with a daughter.

Any extensive martial arts training comes with some fairly serious risks and I just wouldn't want to subject my children to it and I don't to the dismay of those who know my background. I've seen kids(usually teenagers) experience some pretty bad injuries in karate, wrestling, judo and BJJ over the years that will negatively affect them for the rest of their lives. I imagine many resent their parents for not doing a better job of looking out for them.

I can't see grappling really being much safer than striking systems in general, just different risks and none of them good, but it all depends on the specific program.

You have to think long term regardless.

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/long-...tion-training/
    I totally understand your concerns. But a good dojo will train responsibly. Football, girls soccer, and gymnastics to name a few have significant injury risks—far above martial arts.

Why would you be more concerned about girls getting injured? Self esteem, mental toughness, and physical fitness all trump a few broken bones in my opinion as a parent of girls.

My tattoo artist is a nationally ranked no-gi BJJ competitor, and her daughter is well on her way. If you asked them, I’m guessing they would emphatically disagree with your concerns.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I’ll provide an alternative view. Look at places convenient to get to where the instructors are good with kids. Avoid arse holes and pony tails. Have the kids try a couple classes, go with what they like. Keep them happy, keep them In shape, not hating training or you. Supplement their training with easy real stuff. All kids training have massive gaps.

Get some focus mitts for home, work basic pad drills with a focus on cover and counterpunch rather than fancy foot work and head movement. Add some knees and elbows, some easy sparring with dad and if they love it take them to boxing or Thai boxing.

If they like grappling, awesome. A million great suggestions already provided. Still cover the mitt work and some fun sparring.

One pattern I’ve seen is that many of the kids that are the best at a given art have a parent that is active in it. What message are you giving your kids when you enroll them in something that you don’t do?

I started mine off in Jujitsu when he was 6 and when she turned 6. He is a purple belt shes just a bit behind. Their Shihan is a great Dad is his own right, which parlays over to an insightful kiddo instructor. He understands the inattention, the desire to give up, and yet is able to reassure them, bolster their confidence and not give them anything they don’t earn.

He is cautious and careful with respect to sparring, sizes them up carefully with one another. I throw in some BJJ during the school breaks for variety and just to let them see what else is out there. They also do private boxing lessons 1 to 2 hours a month. My daughter loves the less structured BJJ and boxing. It has done so much for his self esteem and her coordination. We did a Bully Proof seminar this last summer which they loved. He is starting to learn The Bo and is way pumped about that.

Best part is when he gets an appetite to roll just before bed. He’ll go “ Daddy, can you bring it!” Too funny, drives his momma nuts.
    Last edited by Polecat; 12-25-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Given where we are in this movie, any thoughts on the Gracie University online courses?

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/Pages/Public/Courses

They have a bunch of free ones for kids, but I haven’t made the time commitment to pre-screen. We also have a friend whose 10-year-old daughter wants some training - but when things open up, she has other sports commitments that will conflict with BJJ.

User Tag List