Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combative training or martial arts for kids

I think it's extremely hard to beat wrestling for kids that age. I started my son at age 5 in youth wrestling in Northern Virginia and the programs there were awesome. We've since moved back down to Georgia, he's going on 9 now with 4 years of experience under his belt, and he's an absolute beast against kids his age. I've been really impressed at what the sport has done for his mental and physical toughness. I've asked him if he was nervous from pressure during other endeavors in his life: swim meets, soccer games, school tests, etc and his response is always, "no, this is nothing compared to a wrestling match."

Site Supporter
    I really can't do much else but echo what Cecil is saying.

Also, this sentiment is probably universal, but I wish I got into BJJ as a kid. With work and grown up obligations, my training volume is puny compared to some of these murdercats who have been rolling three or four times a week since age 9.

If you have a daughter I'd very strongly recommend Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because of the types of threats that face women. If a girl starts training at age 9, by the time she has to deal with shit headed dudes she may have a significant amount experience with conditioning, takedown skills, the stress of competition, and some degree of refinement to her core grappling skills. Those are skills (especially from guard) that allow her to break or render unconscious, a larger assailant. At the very best, any dude dumb enough to attack her will suffer a broken limb or be rendered unconscious while she escapes. Even if that isn't possible, she can stand a better chance at surviving the attack, and taking less damage than someone unequipped to handle a groundfight.

Just my .02 in spite of how morbid it seems.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

All,

Thanks for more great comments.

I know that in BJJ there are a lot of fine points in terms of screening instructor credentials, “lineage,” etc.

Here’s one local gym: https://www.testudobjj.com. How does it look to those in the know?

GN

What do you want out of a marial art? In addition to focus and discipline, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    All,

I know that in BJJ there are a lot of fine points in terms of screening instructor credentials, “lineage,” etc.

Here’s one local gym: https://www.testudobjj.com. How does it look to those in the know?

GN

I would say that gym deserves a try for sure. Looks legit, and I am fascinated by the instructor - a high level judoka who seems to have embraced BJJ and got a black belt in that. Very interesting, and has a lot of promise for what he can teach.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I would say that gym deserves a try for sure. Looks legit, and I am fascinated by the instructor - a high level judoka who seems to have embraced BJJ and got a black belt in that. Very interesting, and has a lot of promise for what he can teach.
    Cool, thanks!

GN

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    All,

GN
    Gun nerd, I know Testudo BJJ – one of their kids just medaled in a kids tournament we ran the other week. Definitely a solid, known-quantity school.

I’m in NOVA and train BJJ as do my two sons, 8 and 11. Please feel free to PM me with any questions on area schools. Tons of great options, including many within my local affiliation.
    Last edited by jc000; 07-06-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Gun nerd, I know Testudo BJJ – one of their kids just medaled in a kids tournament we ran the other week. Definitely a solid, known-quantity school.

I’m in NOVA and train BJJ as do my two sons, 8 and 11. Please feel free to PM me with any questions on area schools. Tons of great options, including many within my local affiliation.
    Great feedback, thanks!

If it were my kids, I'd limit their training to maybe learning some basic self-defense skills safely at the most. I'd be extremely cautious with a daughter.

Any extensive martial arts training comes with some fairly serious risks and I just wouldn't want to subject my children to it and I don't to the dismay of those who know my background. I've seen kids(usually teenagers) experience some pretty bad injuries in karate, wrestling, judo and BJJ over the years that will negatively affect them for the rest of their lives. I imagine many resent their parents for not doing a better job of looking out for them.

I can't see grappling really being much safer than striking systems in general, just different risks and none of them good, but it all depends on the specific program.

You have to think long term regardless.

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/long-...tion-training/

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Also, in judo your kids will get the single most useful skill set that will ever have from a grappling system - the ability to take a hard fall and not get injured.
    This right here. I took a couple of years of judo/karate as a young teenager via a city youth program. I'm 50 now, and there have been numerous times in my adult life that breakfalling has saved me from potential injury. I do wish that BJJ had been a thing locally then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    If it were my kids, I'd limit their training to maybe learning some basic self-defense skills safely at the most. I'd be extremely cautious with a daughter.

Any extensive martial arts training comes with some fairly serious risks and I just wouldn't want to subject my children to it and I don't to the dismay of those who know my background. I've seen kids(usually teenagers) experience some pretty bad injuries in karate, wrestling, judo and BJJ over the years that will negatively affect them for the rest of their lives. I imagine many resent their parents for not doing a better job of looking out for them.

I can't see grappling really being much safer than striking systems in general, just different risks and none of them good, but it all depends on the specific program.

You have to think long term regardless.

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/long-...tion-training/
    Not just combatives, though. I recall having breakfast at a hotel on a roadtrip, along with a traveling girls sports team....IIRC, it was soccer.....but a coach and some parents were talking about a number of 14-15 year old girls having reconstructive surgery for blown out knees and such. I have the distinct impression that the risks are much higher on the hardcore competition circuit than from class participation.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List