Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P30 auto slide release - training around the issue

I've had it happen a fair amount with various Glock pistols. I've never seen it as a problem. Never slowed me down.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I don't believe the question was whether it was humanly possible, but rather how long it took to realize it's happened and then react accordingly.
    Reacting to it doesn't need to take any extra time, though, since you can observe it and hit the slide release while moving the gun away from your workspace and getting back to your two handed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Reacting to it doesn't need to take any extra time, though, since you can observe it and hit the slide release while moving the gun away from your workspace and getting back to your two handed grip.
    I understand how the reload process works, thanks. But for a lot of dudes, something that works 95% of the time will leave them confused for a second when it doesn't work the 5% of the time.

Reminds me of how some teach an AR reload by turning the carbine to view the ejection port to ensure a double feed didn't occur, then to continue with the reload. But when a double feed actually does happen, they're already 2 steps into the reload before it registers in their brain what they actually saw.

I understand how the reload process works, thanks. But for a lot of dudes, something that works 95% of the time will leave them confused for a second when it doesn't work the 5% of the time.
    Sure, but are we catering to the LCD shooters here, or assuming that the posters here are competent shooters that are willing to practice to get things right? I have certainly seen my fair share of folks fruitlessly tapping at mags to try to get the auto forward, but they generally weren't going to break 5 seconds on their reloads even if the gun had auto forwarded on insertion.

Learning to recognize that you gun hasn't auto forwarded and going to hit the slide release after making that realization is not difficult, IMO; the slide not going forward is very easy to recognize, IME, as not only is there a fairly obvious visual sign (far more so than the AR chamber check, IMO), but also a distinct lack of tactile feedback, as the slide not going forward is a quite noticeable interruption in how a reload should feel, along with the less obvious missing audio cue of the slide going forward.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-10-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    My question is how people are training around the issue. I release the slide by using a hand on the back of the slide and pulling rearward versus using the slide lock lever.
    I would change your slide release technique to use the slide stop.

The P30 has a pretty sizable slide stop that is ambidextrous. Automatically hitting the slide release (or if you prefer the slide stop) after the mag change would ensure the slide drops and you don't have the potential of ejecting a live round as you would with your current technique if your gun should happen to autoforward and you didn't catch it.

My only possible concern is, I've deliberately trained to NOT use the slide stop to release the slide, and go for the overhand release. The reason being it's cross-platform universal, especially since i'm left handed and not a lot of handguns are ambidextrous. About the only thing I've done so far is to try and train to actually see the state of the slide after reload to determine if I need to overhand or not. I'm personally aiming for the "Student of Weapons Craft" status, and not the highest speed gamer.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    My only possible concern is, I've deliberately trained to NOT use the slide stop to release the slide, and go for the overhand release. The reason being it's cross-platform universal, ...
    Less so if you're using a gun with a slide mounted safety/decocker.

It seems so much of the training these days is "Glock-centric". I get it since they are so popular, but some guns just beg for you to use the slide stop/slide release since they are so large and convenient (and usually faster).

People can use whatever technique they want, but using the slide stop would fix the OP's problem, without a mechanical fix to the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Less so if you're using a gun with a slide mounted safety/decocker.
    am I truly the only person in the universe that's NEVER had that problem with a Beretta 92?
    i'm being serious about that. I've never accidentally tripped the safety on my M9-22 (can't on a 92G, so that don't really count) during all the practice I've done with that firearm, and it's extensive. I also trained my thumb to "kick" the lever every time I do a reload, so even if I did activate it deliberately to practice disengaging it, it'd be deactivated by the time I present, and the worst I'd have is a DA pull.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I'm personally aiming for the "Student of Weapons Craft" status, and not the highest speed gamer.
    When did it arise that "powerstroking" is more tactical, and using the slide release is for gamer fagz?

"I personally am not a fan of reaching over the top of the slide. I’ve seen too many bad things happen using that technique." -Pat McNamara

Mike Pannone didn't like the power stroke method, either, among the reasons were that it crosses your limbs which is a position of weakness.

I've personally witnessed more guys screw up the overhand slide rack than I have screw up pressing the slide stop.

Stick them on a timer and when they go to pull the slide back, they won't pull it back far enough, then they go to assume their support grip, realize the slide is still back, then have to try again.

The reason being it's cross-platform universal
    In my opinion, shooting a handgun in general is not cross-platform universal. If you want to shoot one pistol well, there's always some tweak to your technique that you have to do to accommodate that particular make and model of pistol. It's better to just try to become as good as possible at shooting your pistol, rather than worry about shooting all the guns (that you don't even carry or own).

When did it arise that "powerstroking" is more tactical, and using the slide release is for gamer fagz?
    When did Magpul start releasing DVD's?

User Tag List