Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P30 auto slide release - training around the issue

P30 auto slide release - training around the issue

I've read here and other sites about the "feature" where the P30 can slide release on its own when a mag is inserted firmly. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but often enough to be a inconsistent distraction.

My question is how people are training around the issue. I release the slide by using a hand on the back of the slide and pulling rearward versus using the slide lock lever. If the slide releases on its own some of the time, it can subconsciously disrupt the thought process for the split second it takes to recognize it. If I release the slide in the same way every time and the slide has already released on its own, I have at times cycled the slide again without needing to and dumped a round in the dirt inadvertently.

How do you train for something that only happens part of the time?

Has HK ever addressed the issue? I have never heard whether it was mag or gun related.
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 06-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

TLG method

Todd taught a method where the thumb ride the release and you drive the gun up into the thumb. This ensured a deliberate auto forward for lack of a better term. There was a thread on TPI about it and maybe here and/or p-t.com

Site Supporter
    ^^^^^^^This.

I use this method and teach it across platforms. I tell people to apply light, steady pressure to the slide lock/release with thumb and to continue the motion of firmly seating the magazine once it is seated so the gun is essentially pushed into the stationary thumb.

I don't like auto forward feature. I have seen too many otherwise switched on shooters try to spank thier guns until the slide drops. In my experience if it doesn't work the first time it ain't going to go. I see no reason to spank a gun...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-29-2019 at 11:15 PM.

My auto-forwarded is actually extremely consistent on my P30LS, although I use 20 round and 25 round magazines. That being said, I have practice enough that if the slide doesn't go forward, I will intuitively hit the slide release. For me, it simply took practice; I also safe the gun when reloading, so it can get a a bit complicated if I also have to hit the slide, yet it's not been a major issue for me, even under the pressure and time constraints of drills in a class (I haven't gone dry in a match in a long time, but I don't recall it ever being an issue there, either). The safety manipulation is also why I don't ride the slide lever when reloading as taught by Todd.

Site Supporter
    Auto forwarding is not a feature, it’s a malfunction. The inconsistency the OP mentioned is the reason why.

That said if you can’t modify your reload or grip to eliminate it, then the TLG method is the best coping mechanism.

Practice Todd’s method a lot under time pressure. I’ve accidentally dropped the slide before the magazine was seated a couple of times resulting in an empty chamber. It’s operator error but something to be aware of.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Todd’s technique sounds interesting, and definitely something I’ll give a try.

If I understand it correctly, keep your thumb flagged above the slide release and use the momentum of inserting the mag to let the gun ride up so that the thumb hits the release?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

So the consensus is this "feature" in not something that can be fixed. Not even by HK. That's disappointing.

I may be in the minority but any handgun you trust for personal defense should 100% reliable and have duplicatable behaviors 100% of the time.

Anyone have a YouTube video of Todd G's technique?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 06-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    So the consensus is this "feature" in not something that can be fixed. Not even HK. That's disappointing.

Stronger slide lock spring or see if the mag is hitting the internal lobe of the slide lock ?

It can be “fixed” by not slamming the mag in so hard and keeping your fingers away from the slide lock lever.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post

Thanks.
    I believe it's called "pre-loading".

After you press the magazine release, your dominant thumb moves to the slide stop. The force of the mag insertion presses the gun up with the slide release up and into your thumb, dropping the slide.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 06-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.

User Tag List