Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitz Special candidates

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Plenty of things from parted-out firearms are available, through evil-bay. I will admit that I thought, a time or two, over the years, about acquiring a take-off SP101 trigger guard, and Fitz-ing it.

I am not, necessarily, saying that I recommend carrying a Fitz-ed weapon, but in thick-glove weather, it might be the lesser of competing harms. (I.O.W., the lesser of two weevils.)
    You can’t post a thing like that without video.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    There's building a Fitz Special, and then there's carrying a Fitz Special. And I would submit that unless you're willing to build up the skills necessary to safely operate a Fitz Special (and those skills are not inconsiderable) then you're better off not carrying a Fitz Special. Building one as an homage or as a range-piece can be great fun, and, if you go that route, you might as well do it right and acquire a Colt 1917 (they still can be found relatively inexpensively with diligent searching) in 45 ACP, then find a gunsmith willing to make it happen.

If your main concern is the ability to get inside the trigger guard while wearing gloves or mittens, then you might consider acquiring an N-frame snub-nose or a snub-nose Ruger Redhawk, leaving the gun un-modified, and then trying as many different glove combinations as you can until you find one that will work within the physical confines of the trigger guard. Fabric technology has come a long way since Fitz built his Specials 100-years ago.
    They are not making anymore Colt or S&W 1917. If you “Fitz” to an original 1917 you are a bad person and you should feel bad. Same for your gunsmith.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Are you wanting to reproduce a Fitz Special because you want to reproduce a historical piece, or because you want to revolver easy to use wearing gloves?

There's a Colt Philippine Model on Gun Broker...
    Colt Philippine Model 1902 .45 Long Colt - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 819801279
    Often called the "Alaskan model" because the large trigger guard is mistakenly assumed to have been for gloved fingers.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'd say a Ruger Speed Six since the trigger guard is not part of the frame, nor a serialized part. Should you change your mind later, Speed Six trigger guards and whole trigger assemblies are available on Ebay for around $30.

If you really want a large trigger guard for winter, just buy a P2000SK and a good pocket holster.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I wouldn’t build a Fitz to carry today. I love them as historical pieces that let us see how tactics and equipment have developed. If you want one to carry....I d buy something someone else already did and simply go with the “I just like carrying classic guns from my collection”. Realistically, the newer Cobras have an elongated trigger guard, my S&W 327 fills this role today for me. I wouldn’t hand an attorney a gimmie myself with a Fitz.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I am all on board about the potentially negative blowback on this idea, but if you could get an extra trigger guard somehow it might be fun to have like a modern/historical desk gun that could revert.
    Name:  GP100.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  31.9 KB

OTOH, back in the day people like Swenson would square off 1911 trigger guards, and I think they just heated them up and forged them (and I think that is pretty much just blacksmithing...) wonder if that is something that could be done to a current casting to make a big loop?

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'd say a Ruger Speed Six since the trigger guard is not part of the frame, nor a serialized part. Should you change your mind later, Speed Six trigger guards and whole trigger assemblies are available on Ebay for around $30.
    Never got around to bobbing the hammer but here is the start of my fitzhawk.
    Name:  15011682581501508973844-264185.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  28.4 KB

That was a couple years ago. I actually don't know where that trigger guard is right now.

If you want a Fitz - just go real - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/809307686

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you want a Fitz - just go real - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/809307686
    35.00 shipping?

User Tag List