Thread: Unusual Velo Dog

Unusual Velo Dog

Hello everyone my family recently purchased a small Velo Dog type pocket revolver, and I'm having some trouble finding the correct model and maker. From what I can gather from the grips the revolver could possibly be an Arminius however, upon researching Arminius pocket revolvers mine does not match a single type. Instead it has characteristics of different Arminius models.
    I have attached a few photos of the revolver in question. It is chambered in 6.35x16mm (.25 ACP) and holds five rounds in the cylinder. The trigger is also able to fold upwards into the main body of the revolver.
    I would really appreciate any help or information anyone is able to offer.
    Thank you,
    NightViper

Name:  revolver 1.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  13.3 KB
    Name:  revolver 2.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  8.5 KB
    Name:  revolver 3.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  14.4 KB

Site Supporter
    I think your best bet to get info is to contact the creator of this website: http://www.velodogs.com/mobile/contact.html and see what they think. Though honestly considering that a lot of those guns were made by small manufacturers and sold under the Arminius name there might not be much info available.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

I will check and see if I can gain any information from the site, thanks again.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I have a dim memory of the rules of some combat competition being rewritten because some people were using Velo Dogs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I don't see it on the linked site and I don't see it in the 15 pages of the type in Zhuk
    BUT
    It is a dead ringer for item no 302t in the 1911 ALFA (Adolf Frank, Hamburg, Ger.) catalog.
    No real information, just one of several 6.35mm revolvers for 24 marks.

An exercise for the student: Are there proof marks present?
    The main but not only maker of Arminus guns was Pickert in Zella St Basil and Zella Mehis Germany and German proof marks should be there.
    A Belgian made gun appropriating the German hero would have the distinctive Belgian proof marks.
    A Spanish knockoff, maybe nothing.

Stephanie: You are perhaps thinking of the .221 Askins Centerfire. Good old Col Charlie was always looking for an edge, so he had a Woodsman converted to centerfire and shortened Velo Dog brass to LR length. He shot it in NRA Centerfire in lieu of the usual .38 revolver Rules were promptly changed to require at least .32 cal in the future. His account at: https://www.bullseyepistol.com/askins.htm
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Jim, that was probably it. Thanks for running it down.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    The round is a low powered centerfire dating back maybe 100 years. Country of origin is France. One stated purpose was use by cyclists against dogs. Revolver may be made in France.

User Tag List