Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a M12 for $369???

I was about to buy one of those model 12's, the reminded myself I've had mixed luck buying police trade ins online. Price seems good and then...timing is marginal, carry up is marginal, center pin hole egged out, etc. In person I can usually find the one that doesn't need any work, even if it looks like hell. What's everyone else's experience been? These seem to be good prices.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I've jonesed for a 12 since 1991.

I wish S&W would update it and re-release it.

I really wish they would make a 6 shot K-frame Centennial Airweight...
    This post cries out for a "Like x 10^6" button
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I've jonesed for a 12 since 1991.

I wish S&W would update it and re-release it.

I really wish they would make a 6 shot K-frame Centennial Airweight...
    They sorta did with the L-frame M242. Alloy (Scandium "AirLite Ti"-marked) frame, seven-shot titanium cylinder, 2-1/2" barrel, weighed 19 ounces. Did not sell. Very collectible now. I bought when one first issued and kept it until the prices rose into rare air.
    Last edited by farscott; 06-30-2019 at 10:08 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That one's close to as ugly as an S&W could be. The white anodizing doesn't do it any favors. Also, K-frame would be better for the mission.

I don't need a "Centennial" style K-frame. It would be awesome if S&W would tool a MIM bobbed hammer that was DAO and sell it as a drop-in accessory (or just carry a large inventory of "replacement" parts and sell them at a reasonable price) after issuing it in a bunch of 2.75-inch guns.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It would be awesome if S&W would tool a MIM bobbed hammer that was DAO and sell it as a drop-in accessory
    This Apex kit is part of the reason I wants the 2.75" 66.
    Name:  Apex.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  17.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This Apex kit is part of the reason I wants the 2.75" 66.
    Name:  Apex.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  17.8 KB
    $160 for something you can do with a Dremel?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    $160 for something you can do with a Dremel?
    Wellllll, yeah, if your glass is half empty!!! I sorta thought the same thing, but....

I think part of it is the material may be a denser alloy, and you get the springs (two options) and you get the revised firing pin. there are supposed to be some enhancements on the sear and stirrup, that I don't quite understand if they are improvements to the trigger pull or not. And some people don't like MIM and it is not MIM.

Also, if there is some chance you might change your mind or want to move on, altering the hammer would probably reduce the value of the gun, but if you removed and sold the kit you could get some of your money back.

But it for sure is not the cheap way out.

Site Supporter
    I've told Smith reps I know that I think they'd move lots of a reborn Model 12. My concept would be the Model 12 with modern alloy frame, round butt (w/standard grip dimensions), 3" medium profile barrel, DAO with factory bobbed hammer and +P rated with a flat black finish ala the M&P 340 that Darryl and I carry around when we don't need a gun. I've even wondered about trying to cobble one up, but I'm afraid the frame would fail with a rebarreling effort.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've told Smith reps I know that I think they'd move lots of a reborn Model 12. My concept would be the Model 12 with modern alloy frame, round butt (w/standard grip dimensions), 3" medium profile barrel, DAO with factory bobbed hammer and +P rated with a flat black finish ala the M&P 340 that Darryl and I carry around when we don't need a gun. I've even wondered about trying to cobble one up, but I'm afraid the frame would fail with a rebarreling effort.
    Just look at the prices for any revolver that Smith makes in 3 inch.

You'd think Smith can't count or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Itrying to cobble one up, but I'm afraid the frame would fail with a rebarreling effort.
    Had a decent gunsmith try it about 15 years ago. I am quite certain they cannot be rebarreled. The initial factory production barreling of a M12 apparently had some thread cutting and compression aspects to it as part of the first installation at the factory. We got it out but could never get a new barrel in without being totally loose. Had to destroy the frame, the original would not even go back in securely. All I got was a nice spare parts kit.

User Tag List