Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Democratic Candidates on Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Would we? Republicans are most pro-gun as the opposition so you'll go vote for them next time. They have no incentive to actually help while in power. They have no incentive to oppose Trump on bumpstocks, suppressors, or anything else. It would just split their base.

But even if you believe that, getting the lesser of two evils is still getting an evil. It's losing slower, not a win, so let's treat it like that and get out of this imaginary land where Trump gives a shit about gun rights.
    And look how many AWBs Obama enacted when he had a Democratic House and Senate!
    Last edited by JHC; 07-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And look how many AWBs Obama enacted when he had a Democratic House and Senate!
    Because he'd have never gotten Obamacare through if they rolled out an AWB in the 1st two years of the administration. They remember 94 when they lost 54 House seats and 8 Senate seats trying for the brass ring of socialized medicine AND an AWB at the same time. Once Obama lost control of Congress in 2010 an AWB was not going to happen.

It is not that they didn't WANT it...it is that they had to prioritize or risk losing their majority...which they lost anyway.... ramming through a controversial health care law with ZERO input from the other party is not a way to garner public support....who would've thought that "we have to PASS the bill to know what is IN the bill" would come back to haunt them in 2010?

And to the Democratic candidates......

Name:  govern.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  34.6 KB

Would we? Republicans are most pro-gun as the opposition so you'll go vote for them next time. They have no incentive to actually help while in power. They have no incentive to oppose Trump on bumpstocks, suppressors, or anything else. It would just split their base.

But even if you believe that, getting the lesser of two evils is still getting an evil. It's losing slower, not a win, so let's treat it like that and get out of this imaginary land where Trump gives a shit about gun rights.
    At least somebody gets it. People who hold Trump up as the great defender of 2A aren't paying attention. He really hasn't had an opportunity to make a difference one way or the other, but if he does I think a lot of Trump supporters will see his true colors. 2A is nothing but a campaign sound bite for Trump. Maybe another NRA donation if he's lucky but I wouldn't bet on it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

I live in Kalifornia. I have been sold out by Republicans countless times. I remember the Bush ban. I have ZERO FAITH in the Republican Party to defend my 2A or other rights for that matter. That said - they are less prone to doing it than the Democrats are and they don’t tend to push a lot of other things I disagree with.

Yes - I (and most here) realize politics is a dirty game and yes we know we are being pandered to for our votes by the Rs just like the Ds pander to other groups and Yes - I realize that the lesser of two evils is still an evils. The RTKBA is terminally ill I’m the modern world, as are most liberties - I’m just hoping to delay the death as long as I can until a miracle cure can be found. Given the rhetoric of our Democrat party POTUS candidates and the REALITY of what the one-party government in Kalifornia is actually accomplishing - it is clear as day their desire is to euthanize the entire concept of the 2A.

With that said what is your suggestion? If you really think an alternate history where Hillary won POTUS in 2016 would have worked out better for the 2A then honestly - I don’t know what else to tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Focus, gentlemen, focus. What could have happened in 2016 is fucking irrelevant. What we got in 2016 was a president who has said he's not afraid of the NRA, but also says he's not for gun control. We also got a bunch of RINOs who were all in after Parkland and Vegas. In 2018 we got our ass handed to us in the house.

Instead of self-congratulatory bullshit about how bad it would have been, get on the issue right the fuck now. Write, email, call. Non-stop. Get active locally with your party and push the agenda.

If all we do is keep preaching "but Hillary would have..." to the choir, we will lose.
    I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. The Republicans in general might be willing to screw us but they also might be receptive to those phone calls and letters. The Democrats who have stated that one of their goals is to strip us of our firearms and 2A rights are NOT. I remember the days I would write and call my “elected “ officials here in the Bay Area. Anyone want to wager how much mine and many others (in fact many admit to receiving far more calls and letters against gun control than for it) passionate pleas have moved the likes of Feinstein and Harris to see the light of freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I don’t disagree with anything you are saying. The Republicans in general might be willing to screw us but they also might be receptive to those phone calls and letters.
    Don't forget money, and start early in their careers. What we need is a pro-2A minor league of pols being groomed for higher office.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    With that said what is your suggestion? If you really think an alternate history where Hillary won POTUS in 2016 would have worked out better for the 2A then honestly - I don’t know what else to tell you?
    A split house/senate/potus. I recall being told repeatedly Obama was going to take my guns, declare martial law, have the UN invade, etc. 8 years...nothing. Why? Ignoring the tinfoil parts, because the (R) platform was "oppose Obama" and would vehemently oppose even the slightest movement toward infringement. Hillary, they would have the same motivation. What's the motivation to oppose Trump?

No, I firmly believe an absolute enemy is better, assuming a split gov't, then a wishy-washy "ally". I didn't vote for anyone for POTUS. They all sucked. I voted for down ballot races only. I get the arguments, but I'm not supporting the lesser of two evils. If we stopped doing so, perhaps we'd stop getting stuck with one. We're stuck in a cycle of voting against someone instead of for someone, and again I understand why. I'm just not participating in that race to the bottom.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

A split house/senate/potus.
    Fair enough man.

I will say though that despite my dislike and opposition to the Bumpstock fiasco as well as the first rate derp spewing regarding suppressors - I do rest a tad bit better with Kav and Gorsuch on the bench that would with Hillary's nominees.

If that makes me an easily manipulated, non-thinking, knuckle dragging Trumper in the eyes of some here (and I'm not saying you) - then so be it.

Site Supporter
    with Hillary as President, the GOP led by McConnell (hey, about the bucks for the first responders?) would have blocked any gun laws and rose in righteous fury against executive orders. They won't against any Trump follies.

I have no faith in Kav or Gorsuch until SCOTUS takes a case that will void state bans and difficult carry laws. SCOTUS has repeatedly turned such down (fear of Kennedy). They let Hellers' waffling on restrictions stand (fear of Kennedy). Now we have fear of Roberts.

Let them take a case and make a clear unambiguous statement for the 2nd Amend. I doubt they will.

User Tag List