Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another one of us shot during training

Another one of us shot during training

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...232028117.html

This kind of negligence pisses me off. Fortunately it didn’t kill him. I wonder if the shooter will be criminally charged. I would think that Miami-Dade had the money for dedicated Sim/UTM guns.

Anyone from down in that area with more info?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...232028117.html

This kind of negligence pisses me off. Fortunately it didn’t kill him. I wonder if the shooter will be criminally charged. I would think that Miami-Dade had the money for dedicated Sim/UTM guns.

Anyone from down in that area with more info?
    To clarify, it was Miami Dade’s Facility but the training was being conducted by the wounded officer’s Dept, Doral FL PD- no idea how big they are.

CWM11B
    No excuse. Sims of some type for FOF and blue guns for other RP training. Workers comp, medical bills, lost time etc. is going to cost a lot more than the outlay for proper safety equipment

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To clarify, it was Miami Dade’s Facility but the training was being conducted by the wounded officer’s Dept, Doral FL PD- no idea how big they are.

Relatively small dept. Doral is a section of NW Miami-Dade Co. There are a few small departments in that area, Doral, Medley etc.
    Several departments and agencies, as well as our own, would utilize Miami-Dade facilities over the years.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My department uses multiple checks for SIM training.

1) All guns and ammo are left at "location A".
    2) All officers are to pat themselves down and double check themselves prior to leaving "A".
    3) Range staff inspects officers as they leave "A"
    4) Officers arrive at "location B".
    5) Different range staff inspect the officers as they arrive at "B".
    6) Different range staff re-inspect and then issue pre-loaded SIM guns and magazines at "B".

"A" is never used for SIM training. "B" is never used for live fire training. Buddy checks are encouraged, look at the officer to your left and right as well as yourself. Officers are reminded that we can and will kill each other if we fuck this up and complacency will lead to us fucking this up.

To date, it's worked.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My department uses multiple checks for SIM training.

1) All guns and ammo are left at "location A".
    2) All officers are to pat themselves down and double check themselves prior to leaving "A".
    3) Range staff inspects officers as they leave "A"
    4) Officers arrive at "location B".
    5) Different range staff inspect the officers as they arrive at "B".
    6) Different range staff re-inspect and then issue pre-loaded SIM guns and magazines at "B".

"A" is never used for SIM training. "B" is never used for live fire training. Buddy checks are encouraged, look at the officer to your left and right as well as yourself. Officers are reminded that we can and will kill each other if we fuck this up and complacency will lead to us fucking this up.

To date, it's worked.
    This is essentially how we do it. The built in layers of safety provided are so important. We have come so far from the days of real guns and chamber flags.

Site Supporter
    I read Ken Murray's "Training at the Speed of Life" many years ago and thought "Good grief! This guy's an extremist." The longer I did force-on-force training over the years, however, the more I came to believe his absolutely rigid safety protocols made sense.

CWM correctly mentions medical bills, lost time, and workman's comp payouts, but it goes beyond that. Proper safety equipment and protocols allow training to run smoother and faster.Officers know they're not going to be shot with a blue gun and, if shot with a simulation gun, it is going to hurt , but won't be fatal rather than wonder if Sergeant jnc36rcpd switched over to Sims when he came back from court. Gear can just be triple checked rather than quintuple checked.

Spending money on gear saves money in time.

Site Supporter
    From the OP link.

was injured during an activity in which rookies were being trained. Police are supposed to use rubber guns and bullets in that scenario, a point that didn’t escape the Doral police chief.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Most of the FOF/Sims training accident I've heard about have been at lunch or the end of the day when everyone goes hot again, and someone decides to demo something one last time.

When training is over, training is over.

The other one is instructors that are too professional to follow the search in rules. I've personally witnessed several incidents of instructors or academy staff walking into a "safe" area with a loaded pistol on their hip.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Relatively small dept. Doral is a section of NW Miami-Dade Co. There are a few small departments in that area, Doral, Medley etc.
    Several departments and agencies, as well as our own, would utilize Miami-Dade facilities over the years.
    Relatively small? They’ve got 7 motor units, 3 K9s, commercial vehicle enforcement and a bunch of other stuff (according to their website). I guess it depends on your idea of relatively small. They’ve got resources, obviously.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List