Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: quickest/cheapest route to USPSA PCC from where I am now

Did some more fiddling with the PCC just now in anticipation of getting to shoot a match on 5/31. Found a ton of mags, some of them pre-loaded, a LULA (thank god), chamber flag, and even found a custom Cane and Derby mag pouch (I shouldn’t need more than one, right?)

Looks like mags seat fine with bolt to the rear, or no bolt at all, but damn near refuse to seat with the bolt forward, although they will with a good smack.

Remind me, do we lube the snot out of 9mm ARs like we do the big boys or do we run them dry?

Bore-sighted the Holosun and the laser at about 20ft in my work shop, about 3-4” high at that distance. My guess is that will get me through the match if I can’t get out to formally zero. If I do, what do we like for laser and optic zeros for PCC?

Did a brief function check in the yard with the can on just now. Few rounds of BVAC 147, a few rounds of AE 124, and a few rounds from my miscellaneous can that includes steel cased wolf, aluminum cased I dunno what, and a mix of various brass cased. When firing the first round of BVAC I got a pretty nasty failure to eject that required tools to clear, but after that zero issues. Pick of stuck case below.

Name:  6B1DA33F-F1B8-4675-BB5B-3F192BED46E1.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  86.9 KB

At that club, the generic ready position is, rifle butt on hip, strong hand at side, rifle held by off-side hand.
    You can aim a laser at the 1st target and fire on the beep. No need to raise PCC to the shoulder.
    Stages run about 23 rounds so carrying one emergency mag should be fine.
    If not, I don't want to be on the range :-)
    Also, I have extra TF +10 extensions if you want to go to 40 rounds on start.

Shot the match today. 8 stages, pretty fun.

Too many malfunctions! After the first couple of stages had at least one double feed per stage, sometimes more. Anyone have recommendations on anything I can or should check? I shot BVAC 147 grain pretty much exclusive, all thought Colt steel 32 round mags.

Scores
    https://practiscore.com/results/new/108426

Site Supporter
    Are you having issues with 124 FMJs? Have you tried 115 FMJs?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Are you having issues with 124 FMJs? Have you tried 115 FMJs?
    other than a dozen or so rounds into the dirt, the only ammo I've really put through the new upper in any quantity was the 147 grain BVAC I show in the match yesterday. Somewhere on the order of 200 rounds yesterday. No issues for the first 3 stages (75 rounds or so), and then started having problems pretty much every stage thereafter.

Just a quick personal update, I shot a match yesterday with exclusively 115 and 124 grain ammo, and the gun ran like a top. Half the match was even some old Blazer that I was a little hesitant to use but it ran "flawlessly".
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Another update...

Shot another match yesterday. Managed to shoot all but one stage with the old Blaser I shot last month and it ran great. I think it may be 115 grain.

I shot one stage with a mag of brass-cased ammo that I’m pretty sure is 147 grain and had one malf. Non-diagnostic clearing in the. Idle of the stage means I don’t know exactly what the problem was.

If we weren’t dealing within these ammo shortages I’d likely just order some 115 blaser since I know that works, but (a) no idea when that may be doable, (b) I really prefer 147 in my Glock’s so hate having to keep two different ammo types in the same caliber, (c) I have about 1k in 147 grain on hand and just got 500 rounds of 124 federal.

I guess I’ll try the 124 next month since I have it and am out of the Blaser now.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I think it is great that you are shooting matches again. Something to consider might be whether you should shoot Carry Optics in USPSA, and reserve PCC for Steel Challenge, since pistol skills allow you to shoot the carbine, but not necessarily vice versa.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think it is great that you are shooting matches again. Something to consider might be whether you should shoot Carry Optics in USPSA, and reserve PCC for Steel Challenge, since pistol skills allow you to shoot the carbine, but not necessarily vice versa.
    I kinda want to get there eventually, but I’m not really in it for the skills development. Right now my schedule freed up to allow me one Sunday afternoon a month, and the action steel “outlaw” match is really fun without a lot of work.

At some point I intend to give the pistol a go again, but I’ll probably sign up for a paper USPSA match for the handgun since paper misses aren’t quite as embarrassing.

I’m also not willing to make time in the schedule right now for practice, although if I plan to get back on the pistol train I’ll, probably at least interrupt my morning coffee routine for some dry fire, particularly draws, reloads, and presentations and transitions, with a little trigger work mixed in.

The PCC has allowed me to get into the game with very low barrier, minimal gear (one of the things I love about sporting clays AND PCC is the minimal gear and nothing on my belt/waist, and confidence-building ease of hits. Albeit probably also building in some sloppy fundamentals that I’m not too worried about right now.

Trying to get the wife signed up for one of Randy’s ladies only classes because if I can get her interested in pistol games (she already shoots clays) that’ll increase my trigger time (although also increase my costs...). I’m looking to join the range where we shoot matches and clays because I *think* members can rent the bays unsupervised.

My biggest performance gain to date, came from my wife starting to shoot matches.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List