Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: quickest/cheapest route to USPSA PCC from where I am now

Your setup is fine for PCC except for the can / barrel length issue. I would just swap in a longer barrel, screw a brake on, and maybe a trigger if you need if you need it. Optic is pure personal preference in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Your setup is fine for PCC except for the can / barrel length issue.
    Yes, precisely why I’m asking about the easiest way to correct for that.

I would just swap in a longer barrel, screw a brake on, and maybe a trigger if you need if you need it.
    That is way more fiddle fuck than I’m interested in. I was looking more for the “yhm has a fake can that you can attach to your mount” or “psa is having a sale in complete uppers and you can drop one right on your gun for just $320 right now”.

Optic is pure personal preference in this situation.
    Let’s assume I don’t know enough about the current state of the bargain optic market to have a “personal preference”.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes, precisely why I’m asking about the easiest way to correct for that.

That is way more fiddle fuck than I’m interested in. I was looking more for the “yhm has a fake can that you can attach to your mount” or “psa is having a sale in complete uppers and you can drop one right on your gun for just $320 right now”.

Let’s assume I don’t know enough about the current state of the bargain optic market to have a “personal preference”.

A barrel swap is 30 mins of effort. Not much fiddle fuck to it, especially on a 9mm, you don't have a gas system to deal with. Take your chance with a PSA complete upper and trust their guys assembled it right, but since you want to keep suppressed SBR as an option it might be a decent choice.

Then buy a Holosun 510C, or any Holosun dot. Done.
    Last edited by andre3k; 06-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    A barrel swap is 30 mins of effort. Not much fiddle fuck to it, especially on a 9mm, you don't have a gas system to deal with.
    I've done it dozens of times, and no it's not, but I tend to measure my time differently than most people, from getting up out of my chair to being actually done and back to doing something I really wanted to be doing int he first place, and in my case there's at least a half an hour of digging around trying to find the tools I know I have somewhere. That phase of my life is well past.

Then buy a Holosun 510C, or any Holosun dot. Done.
    that's good to know, and consistent with things i'm reading elsewhere. thanks!

PM sent on the upper. I use and like the Holosun 510C-GR.

It is my understanding that the reason for no suppressors is issues with the timers, and I wonder if the fake cans might redirect the sound enough to be a challenge for the timers. Just speculating, based on how quiet my 16" 9mm is.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It is my understanding that the reason for no suppressors is issues with the timers, and I wonder if the fake cans might redirect the sound enough to be a challenge for the timers. Just speculating, based on how quiet my 16" 9mm is.
    I used to shoot a local steel match with this upper, and there was definitely an issue with the timer picking up. I liked it, because it meant I got to shoot more.

It's definitely possible to pick it up, but it's all about timer placement, which is easy at static steel and not so much at run-n-gun.

ETA, video.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-30-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Went out today and hung around the range for a uspsa classifier. I think I figured out the easiest/shortest route...

Since time is the issue here, and I'm tied up for pretty much every weekend for the rest of my natural life between kids/work/travel/etc., there's no real reason to get hasty. I "need" a new optic for the gun anyway, so I'll do that first. then it needs to be zeroed (when I have no idea) and I can do that with the can and handguard I have now, and also make note of the shift, if any, with and without the can. Then if I actually get the chance to shoot in a match, take the chop saw to the existing handguard, and go shoot the match with the 7" barrel I have now.

Site Supporter
    I have two PSA "AR9s". I have an early "AR9" that uses Colt mags - it works, eats every kind of 9mm I feed it, and locks back when empty. I have a new "AR9" that uses Glock mags - it works, eats every type of 9mm I feed it, does NOT lock back on empty mags.

I would get a cheap PSA AR9 16 inch upper to use with your existing lower and mags. Make sure the PSA upper will work with the Colt style SMG mags. Add the RDS of your choice - I am using a very old TASCO PDP3 on mine because it was in the basement and works.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I would get a cheap PSA AR9 16 inch upper to use with your existing lower and mags.
    Curious about the 16"...

I've read a few differing opinions on this here and there, but the primary reason for going 16" seems to be not dealing with NFA, which I've already done, so is there another benefit?

I got a chance to half-assed shoot another guy's gun on an old stage yesterday after the match, and in running that stage I could see some advantages to the maneuverability of the shorter barrel on stages designed for pistols particularly.

User Tag List