Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quickest/cheapest route to USPSA PCC from where I am now

quickest/cheapest route to USPSA PCC from where I am now

I currently have a 9mm SBR that is set up for Colt mags and the upper has a 6-8" barrel (I honestly can't remember) with a handguard that extends over the suppressor. It also wears an old diamond reticule Eotech that has no batteries but I'm not sure if it works anyway.

The cheapest route, but likely the most fiddle-fart, would likely be to just get a new handguard, remove the can, and shoot the upper/gun/optic I have, but I really don't want to sink the time into all that, and I'm looking for an easy-button, even if it costs more money. Of course, I'd prefer not to sink another $1k into this endeavor either as I'll probably only make the time to shoot the thing a couple of times a year.

Issues with current setup:
    1. As I understand it, suppressors are a no-go for USPSA PCC, so I'm trying to sort out the "easy button" to getting something I can go shoot. I can't just take the can off as it would leave the handguard extending past the muzzle which for me is a no-go.
    2. the optic probably isn't viable, and likely isn't worth chasing around after to try and make it so.

For issue 1, is there a known-good, relatively inexpensive but still relatively reliable, upper that I can just drop on to the SBR lower that I have? I don't care too much if the new upper is an SBR but it might be kinda nice if it was given that I already have the lower.

For issue 2, is there a known-good, relatively inexpensive, optic & mount that I can get to attach to the new upper?

current carbine, complete setup
    Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  87.2 KB

suppressor removed
    Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  79.8 KB

This would seem to be the cheapest route, but I'm not sure even the 7" version would be short enough. Theoretically though I could just detach the current handguard and drop this one in it's place, and shoot the matches unsuppressed.

of course, for how often I actually shoot any of this, I could also probably just take my current handguard to the workshop and lop off the requisite amount...

Taccom makes a screw on barrel extension. The idea being 9mm doesn’t gain anything out of a 16” barrel. It’s intended to be pinned and welded, but in your case not necessary.

https://taccom3g.com/product/light-w...rel-extension/

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Taccom makes a screw on barrel extension. The idea being 9mm doesn’t gain anything out of a 16” barrel. It’s intended to be pinned and welded, but in your case not necessary.

Not a bad idea. If it attached to my yhm flash hider suppressor mount it would be great.

I just don’t want to completely give up the suppressed 9mm function.

At one time they would do custom work, but probably too busy now.

Magpul hand stop kit to keep your hand behind the muzzle?

It may affect your stance, but that’s all that I’ve got short and of a new upper.
    Last edited by Norville; 06-28-2019 at 05:19 PM.

The idea being 9mm doesn’t gain anything out of a 16” barrel.
    Admittedly kind of off topic for this thread, but how much experimenting has been done with slower powders in 16" PCCs? I imagine that N320 or Titegroup is completely done burning in the first few inches of barrel, and after that, you're just losing velocity to friction, but something like 3N38, AA#7, etc., that people use loading 9mm major might stand to gain from the longer barrel. I feel like it would be amusing to be slinging 100-grain bullets at 1300 FPS for 130 PF, if such a thing is possible.

Looks like PSA is having a sale. Might be the easiest way to go...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449632.html

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not a bad idea. If it attached to my yhm flash hider suppressor mount it would be great.

I just don’t want to completely give up the suppressed 9mm function.
    I was thinking of a faux suppressor, but that would work, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Re: your optic-

EoTech does not repair pre-2009 optics but if you contact them you can send the dead/defective optic in for credit allowing you to purchase any new EoTech Holographic sight via their website at 50% off.

I just did this with my 2007 vintage 552 after the window began to de-laminate.

User Tag List