Thread: S&W model 66 2.75" experience?

S&W model 66 2.75" experience?

I think I want to grab one of these at my LGS, something fun to shoot and pack able in the cooler temps. Anyone have much experience with the newer Smith model 66's? Thanks!

Small sidebar, I am also interested in a new ruger vaquero 4 5/8's in 357 mag, I don't know which one I want more but they will be for fun shooting/possible woods carry. I blame this forum for making me want a new revolver! Lol

Why yes, not a new one but...
    Name:  Mod 66 Small.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  59.6 KB

You will want to note the extractor rod length. I think the newer ones are longer but the older 2.75" guns are a real bitch to reload when shooting mags. So much so that I don't bother with mag loads in them any more.

I just picked one up last month. It's been getting a ton of use. Both shooting and carrying.

New grips, lock plug, meprolite front sight and c&s fixed rear were added. I carry it in a JM custom aiwb holster. The trigger took a little stoning on the moving parts and some light grease and now, along with a ton of dryfiring, it's actually becoming a very good trigger.

I really enjoy carrying it. Going from a 4" M19 to this does show that a little shorter barrel increases comfort and the round butt aids in conceal ability.
    Name:  Resized_20190603_171019.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  100.1 KBName:  KIMG1337.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  26.3 KBName:  KIMG1320.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  32.2 KB

Have both the 4 1/4" and the 2 3/4" barrel lengths. The 2 3/4" gun is my favorite. I've shot both quite a bit with no major problems. Posted some chrono results in post #6 in this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....7-My-new-M66-8

Paul

Thanks for the replies, it sure looks handy and I have read that the trigger/sights needed some love out of the box. It's a good looking wheel gun though, plan on swinging by the LGS Tuesday to handle it again.

User Tag List