Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velcro backed soft holster

Velcro backed soft holster

I am looking for a somewhat specific holster and did not find what I wanted via the search key. Some were close, but not close enough.

Specifically, I have a great fanny pack that is perfect for carrying a small handgun when I am engaged in activities that make carrying IWB either very impractical or very uncomfortable. The situations include golfing, disc golfing, bike riding, power walking (and working up a sweat), yard work (also working up a sweat) and hitting the beach or a park.

Basically, activities or locations where I wish to remain armed but due to what I am doing, my normal IWB would either print too much or get covered in sweat.

The problem is my fanny pack is not set up to retain my normal IWB holster, so presenting is a process.

What I am looking for could best be described as a DeSantis Nemesis style holster (soft and covering the trigger guard) that has velcro on the outside, preferably both sides (so as to make it ambidextrous). I would then sew a piece of velcro to the inside of the fanny pack. If I ever needed to present the gun, it will draw smoothly from the holster (no holster retention feature) but the holster stays inside the fanny pack.

Any suggestions?

Site Supporter
    How about a VG2 or Mic tethered to the inside of the fanny pack?

My wife has a purse from Gun Tote'n Mamas. It came with a sort of generic holster like you describe. I took a kydex holster body and put stick on Velcro on it and it works much better than the one it came with. Hers draws from the top and it is almost as fast as a belt holster. GTM has the soft holsters for sale on their web site. https://www.gtmoriginal.com/products...andard-holster

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    How about a VG2 or Mic tethered to the inside of the fanny pack?
    That would solve the keep the holster in the fanny pack problem, but I suspect the gun would not remain in the same position consistently. That makes it a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My wife has a purse from Gun Tote'n Mamas. It came with a sort of generic holster like you describe. I took a kydex holster body and put stick on Velcro on it and it works much better than the one it came with. Hers draws from the top and it is almost as fast as a belt holster. GTM has the soft holsters for sale on their web site. https://www.gtmoriginal.com/products...andard-holster
    That seems like just about what I want. I would like to get a holster cut for my 642 and another for my G26, and again, velcro on both sides, but that is the closest I have yet seen, and would certainly work. Thank you.

I have a box full of fanny packs and derivatives, and about that many holsters that have either come with them or that I've adopted to them. My objective was to end up with the smallest, most discrete (non "gun looking") setup that would hold a pistol, spare mag and maybe small light and wallet (or at least some cash and cards). For the packs or holsters that didn't already have velcro, I got the 2-inch variety with the adhesive back from the local fabric store. Generally, I put the pile piece inside the bag, and the hook piece on the holster. The holster could be stuck on at the angle and depth that worked best for your draw.

The generic holsters work OK (and I'd think most anybody that sells fanny packs for guns would sell you just the holster: DeSantis, Maxpedition, etc), but as Bill Nesbitt said, a kydex one is quicker, and holds the gun more securely. I don't think ease of reholstering is that much of a consideration, because it's almost always a two handed job anyway. But a good kydex holster, with the clip or loops removed, and velcro'd in, is the best solution I've seen. And if the bag doesn't already have some quick-opening system, i.e., all you have to work with is a zipper, put a section of cord on it that gives you a good grip for as quick and positive pull as possible. Maybe add a near-golf-ball-size something or a big ring - - - whatever lets you find and pull the zipper quickly.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Ditch the soft holster and go with a minimalist kydex, then add your own velcro. I used a Clinger and some Velcro strips from Amazon to make a vest holster like that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I have a box full of fanny packs and derivatives, and about that many holsters that have either come with them or that I've adopted to them. My objective was to end up with the smallest, most discrete (non "gun looking") setup that would hold a pistol, spare mag and maybe small light and wallet (or at least some cash and cards). For the packs or holsters that didn't already have velcro, I got the 2-inch variety with the adhesive back from the local fabric store. Generally, I put the pile piece inside the bag, and the hook piece on the holster. The holster could be stuck on at the angle and depth that worked best for your draw.

The generic holsters work OK (and I'd think most anybody that sells fanny packs for guns would sell you just the holster: DeSantis, Maxpedition, etc), but as Bill Nesbitt said, a kydex one is quicker, and holds the gun more securely. I don't think ease of reholstering is that much of a consideration, because it's almost always a two handed job anyway. But a good kydex holster, with the clip or loops removed, and velcro'd in, is the best solution I've seen. And if the bag doesn't already have some quick-opening system, i.e., all you have to work with is a zipper, put a section of cord on it that gives you a good grip for as quick and positive pull as possible. Maybe add a near-golf-ball-size something or a big ring - - - whatever lets you find and pull the zipper quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Ditch the soft holster and go with a minimalist kydex, then add your own velcro. I used a Clinger and some Velcro strips from Amazon to make a vest holster like that.
    Good advice from both of you. I experimented with a Nemesis holster and sticky velcro for my G26. It worked, sort of. The holster did stay in the fanny pack, but now the whole fanny pack wants to come out on the draw. Presenting is still a two hand operation. If I can find a kydex holster without a tight fit and no retention, perhaps with some kind of thumb push off, I can make this work.

Having the gun with me is not the issue. Being able to unzip the fanny pack and draw the firearm one handed is. Maybe I need a different fanny pack - the one I have is not designed for a firearm.

I could just go to a pocket holster and my 642, but I detest pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Having the gun with me is not the issue. Being able to unzip the fanny pack and draw the firearm one handed is. Maybe I need a different fanny pack - the one I have is not designed for a firearm.
    I'm using this one while jogging: https://www.elitesurvival.com/concea...athon-gunpack/

It's already got Velcro inside and comes with a universal elastic holder that covers the trigger guard and holds the gun in place. It doesn't shift or bounce, unlike the previous Uncle Mike's I used for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That looks like it might just work. Thanks for the lead.

I take it the small will work with my J-frame and the large will work with my G26, correct? However, with two water bottles, is it too big (especially the large)? I'm not a big guy, and I don't want to be dwarfed by it. I've seen non-gun fanny packs with room for one Nalgene bottle and they were huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    That looks like it might just work. Thanks for the lead.

I take it the small will work with my J-frame and the large will work with my G26, correct? However, with two water bottles, is it too big (especially the large)? I'm not a big guy, and I don't want to be dwarfed by it. I've seen non-gun fanny packs with room for one Nalgene bottle and they were huge.
    I carry a Shield in the large. It's got some room, but not a lot. It's certainly designed for a thin pistol.

The little water bottles are mostly an affectation. They are really small. I think about 4oz, but I can double check if it's a deal breaker for you.

User Tag List