Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Michigan BOLO for deputy’s lost AR15

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Unless that department is radically different, he'll probably be suspended. Lost pay, lost seniority, and lost time toward pension is a pretty good reminder.
    Unless he's the Chief of the Seattle PD who left his city-issued G26 under the seat of his unlocked city ride while taken in a movie with his wife, in which case he will serve unimpaired until Obama offers him the job of Drug Czar.
    Last edited by Drang; 06-29-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Ours only had semi-auto trigger parts installed, but IIRC they were still "machine guns" because full auto parts could be readily installed.
    That's also true of pretty much any AR-15, and they're not considered to be machine guns unless the full-auto parts are actually present - why is/was the MP5 any different?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That's also true of pretty much any AR-15, and they're not considered to be machine guns unless the full-auto parts are actually present - why is/was the MP5 any different?
    Our DRMO rifles are "machine guns" despite being pinned to semi-auto only. My understanding is the rule is "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" on these for some reason. I don't know if that's specific to gov't hand-me-downs or what.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Our DRMO rifles are "machine guns" despite being pinned to semi-auto only. My understanding is the rule is "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" on these for some reason. I don't know if that's specific to gov't hand-me-downs or what.
    That's at least a semi-familiar concept. I wasn't clear on the guns in question having already been machine guns at one point - I thought we were talking about purely semi-auto MP5s somehow being considered machine guns just because it was physically possible to convert them.

It sounds like the M-16s are considered demilitarized when converted to semi-only. Just out of curiosity, are these rifles that spent most of their time in storage? That would be a good trip to Doctor MO for any department. Great avatar by the way...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That's at least a semi-familiar concept. I wasn't clear on the guns in question having already been machine guns at one point - I thought we were talking about purely semi-auto MP5s somehow being considered machine guns just because it was physically possible to convert them.
    MP-5’s, G3s etc with receivers which accept standard HK push pin lowers are normally machine guns under US law whether they have a select fire or semi only trigger group installed.

Semi auto HKs and clones like HK94s, HK 91 etc have a modified receiver which has a shelf for modified or “clipped” lowers.

I say normally are some grand fathered HK 41s out there with push pin lowers which were imported in the 60s and 70s and are grandfathered as title 1 Firearms.

An AR-15/M16/M4 receiver with a third pin hole is still legally a machine gun even if you pull the full auto or burst parts and replace them with a semi auto trigger group. For example, my agency’s Tac team guns are being swapped from auto and burst to Geissele SSA’s but legally they are still “machine guns.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are these rifles that spent most of their time in storage? That would be a good trip to Doctor MO for any department. Great avatar by the way...
    They have been used, and later ones have been used more. My buddy the armorer said you get a pallet of rifles and can assemble a hand full of decent ones. While mine was in evidence, I got a loaner. It shot about 5" groups at 50y. The barrel was completely shot out.

New riflemen have to provide their own rifles and as DRMO guns are turned back in they are shipped back. The program is no longer worth it for us.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    MP-5’s, G3s etc with receivers which accept standard HK push pin lowers are normally machine guns under US law whether they have a select fire or semi only trigger group installed.

Semi auto HKs and clones like HK94s, HK 91 etc have a modified receiver which has a shelf for modified or “clipped” lowers.

I say normally are some grand fathered HK 41s out there with push pin lowers which were imported in the 60s and 70s and are grandfathered as title 1 Firearms.

An AR-15/M16/M4 receiver with a third pin hole is still legally a machine gun even if you pull the full auto or burst parts and replace them with a semi auto trigger group. For example, my agency’s Tac team guns are being swapped from auto and burst to Geissele SSA’s but legally they are still “machine guns.”
    Exactly what he said.

I was never one of our MP5 armorers, but that is my understanding of what the deal was.

Right before I was left, I was on the chief's advisory committee that was going to recommend what to do about our mix of 3rd Gen Smith autoloaders in 9mm and .40, Remington 870s for both lethal and LTL ammo, and MP5s in 9mm and .40 we had in our cars. Everyone was enthusiastic to get rid of the MP5s for various reasons. One was buying a bunch of AR15s would be less of a paperwork hassle because they were just a regular firearm.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 06-29-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    It sounds like the M-16s are considered demilitarized when converted to semi-only. Just out of curiosity, are these rifles that spent most of their time in storage? That would be a good trip to Doctor MO for any department. Great avatar by the way...
    What do you mean by “demilitarized?” That term normall refers to destroying a weapon or rendering it completely inert.

If you mean converted to semi auto, Lowers with a third / auto sear pin hole are legally machine guns regardless of what trigger parts are installed.

The M16A1s loaned to LE via DRMO (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office) are reserve /2nd line war stock. They are supposed to be rebuilt before going into long term storage but that is not always the case. The rifles are loaned to the agency and are subject to recall. They can be modified as long as they can be restored to as issued condition to be turned in.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What do you mean by “demilitarized?” That term normall refers to destroying a weapon or rendering it completely inert.

If you mean converted to semi auto, Lowers with a third / auto sear pin hole are legally machine guns regardless of what trigger parts are installed.

The M16A1s loaned to LE via DRMO (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office) are reserve /2nd line war stock. They are supposed to be rebuilt before going into long term storage but that is not always the case. The rifles are loaned to the agency and are subject to recall. They can be modified as long as they can be restored to as issued condition to be turned in.
    Demilitarized can also mean removing the registration numbers from vehicles. Depending on the de-mil code it can mean different things.

User Tag List