Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Figured this needed its own thread; tech oligarchy

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    This is one of the reasons I have always favoured work which requires a combination of intellectual, personal, and manual skills.
    I can dig it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

What SF needs to see are plumbers and carpenters charging $3000/day.
    I don’t live in the valley, but I am in tech and valley-adjacent. This sort of thing is a reality to the point where it’s hard to get tradesmen to return your calls if you’re price sensitive at all.

I suspect that the true reason a lot of the California elite continue to support unrestricted mass immigration is that it gives them a desperate labour pool from which to hire staff, not for their companies, but for their personal requirements
    Strong disagree. I think you’re wildly overestimating the size of ones ‘personal staff’ and how much time is spent thinking about their salaries or legal status.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons I have always favoured work which requires a combination of intellectual, personal, and manual skills.
    The premise of the book is the immediate future is going to be very rewarding for folks who can hybridize with computers. Essentially partner up with a computer and let the computer do things people suck at and the person do things the computer sucks at. An example was medical diagnostics. Computers can do pretty amazing things, but to date they suck at detecting lies and people lie to their doctors about symptoms, diet, health-affecting vices, etc. constantly, either intentionally or because they are self-deluded. Someone who's good at reading people and operating the diagnostic programming is better then either of them alone, and the "team" will be rewarded as such. However, there's a very finite number of people who can do that.

Not in the book, but in other sources one must remember roughly 1/3 of the population has an IQ of 90 or below. Those folks have done quite well since the industrial revolution, they are plenty of jobs that they can master and be productive. Additionally, the mental skills required to be outstanding at a traditional craftsman position may not show up in an IQ test, and may not transition well. My dad is a good example. He can look at blueprints and both see and manipulate a 3D model in his head. I can read prints, but I can't mentally model what it's showing. He really understands the prints, I'm just following a recipe. Yet he needed help to set up a free email account to open an Amazon account. A hypothetical younger him would be unlikely to be able to transition to a tech job even if he wanted to.

That's why the "let them learn to code" is such bullshit, even ignoring there aren't nearly as many coding jobs as there are truck drivers, miners, factory workers, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And people wonder why I yearn to leave IT and abandon my smartphone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lest anyone laugh, this person speaks the truth.

I have found that the more adept a person is at security, the more they resemble a Luddite.

I pay cash for a lot of items, rarely use a credit card, and encrypt virtually everything.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's why the "let them learn to code" is such bullshit, even ignoring there aren't nearly as many coding jobs as there are truck drivers, miners, factory workers, etc.
    There was a brief return of that meme a month or so ago when yet another couple clickbait sites folded and some clickbait writers aired their grievances about being laid off.

Apparently it wasn't as well received the second time, because quite a few folks went to social media jail for repeating their nonsense back to them.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I don’t live in the valley, but I am in tech and valley-adjacent. This sort of thing is a reality to the point where it’s hard to get tradesmen to return your calls if you’re price sensitive at all.

Strong disagree. I think you’re wildly overestimating the size of ones ‘personal staff’ and how much time is spent thinking about their salaries or legal status.
    Certainly possible and if the market is working there that is great.

Where I live there was a huge outcry from large business owners about increasing costs of hiring labour and the result was the increasing use of what are called "temporary foreign workers" which has completely circumvented local labour markets by allowing companies to staff up with labour that does not compete against local wages.

"Personal staff" was maybe not the best way to express that and so I may have just been unclear - I meant, essentially, everyone that comes under that person's ultimate hiring responsibility. Not personal like gardeners that work on your grounds but the people under your purview, say the assembly line workers in a factory you own. "Personal staff" is a terrible description for that and I don't know why I couldn't think of better terminology to use at the time but I apparently couldn't.

Again this may simply be different where I live, I don't know. But the outcry over increasing labour costs here was sufficient that the government was persuaded to engage in a tactic which has radically suppressed wages in an otherwise red-hot market. Here you really don't see an electrician getting $500/hour, that's just unheard of. But the city I just left is really Canada's equivalent of the Bay Area and there is massive wealth stratification which SHOULD be getting addressed by a free market on wages, but isn't, because it's legal to bring in cheap foreign workers.

That might not be analogous to the situation in the US but it sounds similar to me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Again this may simply be different where I live, I don't know. But the outcry over increasing labour costs here was sufficient that the government was persuaded to engage in a tactic which has radically suppressed wages in an otherwise red-hot market. Here you really don't see an electrician getting $500/hour, that's just unheard of. But the city I just left is really Canada's equivalent of the Bay Area and there is massive wealth stratification which SHOULD be getting addressed by a free market on wages, but isn't, because it's legal to bring in cheap foreign workers.

That might not be analogous to the situation in the US but it sounds similar to me.
    The government-sanctioned version happens here, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List