Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to buy ammo in California (Background checks July 1, 2019)

Hammertime
    Wow. If there was ever a way to encourage a black market for ammo, CA just figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Wow. If there was ever a way to encourage a black market for ammo, CA just figured it out.
    There's always been a black market for ammo in California, for criminals. Now, though, they've made law-abiding taxpayers in to criminals. The liberal geniuses haven't thought ahead to how this story ends, though, and they're not going to like it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    AFAIK, components are still unrestricted. I'd have bought a Dillon as soon as the thing passed if I lived there.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The point of this has nothing to do with reducing crime. Its purpose is to exploit firearm ownership as a highly-correlated marker of people who disagree with leftist politics generally and find ways to make them desire to live elsewhere, so The Party never has to worry about their vote again.
    As idiotic as the legislature in Kalifornia appear to be - I think you are absolutely correct. This is some social engineering at the highest level. It also goes along the lines of Eric Holders calls for changing how people view guns. The point of all of these laws is simply to ethnicity cleanse California of socially conservative people.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As idiotic as the legislature in Kalifornia appear to be - I think you are absolutely correct. This is some social engineering at the highest level. It also goes along the lines of Eric Holders calls for changing how people view guns. The point of all of these laws is simply to ethnicity cleanse California of socially conservative people.
    I finally figured it out when LA passed its city mag ban. Work out the history of the legal situation, then look at the boxes a person had to check to be affected by the magazine confiscation (i.e., to legally possess 11+ round mags in 2016 when the statewide ballot measure passed). It's a picture of someone you would probably want to have as your neighbor and frankly wouldn't mind at all if they were reasonably well armed. It's also a picture of someone more likely than average in CA to lean conservative on politics. The only thing this can possibly accomplish is to piss off a lot more of those people and help them decide that they've put up with this crap long enough.

I have trouble believing that people smart enough to get to where they can tell 30 million +/- other people what to do are dumb enough to believe this will accomplish what they say it is about. I look at what it really accomplishes, and ask whether that benefits them. It does seem likely to benefit them, so I assume they know what the results will be, and that that is their actual objective.

Though it's possible I could be giving them too much credit.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-30-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I finally figured it out when LA passed its city mag ban. Work out the history of the legal situation, then look at the boxes a person had to check to be affected by the magazine confiscation (i.e., to legally possess 11+ round mags in 2016 when the statewide ballot measure passed). It's a picture of someone you would probably want to have as your neighbor and frankly wouldn't mind at all if they were reasonably well armed. It's also a picture of someone more likely than average in CA to lean conservative on politics. The only thing this can possibly accomplish is to piss off a lot more of those people and help them decide that they've put up with this crap long enough.

I have trouble believing that people smart enough to get to where they can tell 30 million +/- other people what to do are dumb enough to believe this will accomplish what they say it is about. I look at what it really accomplishes, and ask whether that benefits them. It does seem likely to benefit them, so I assume they know what the results will be, and that that is their actual objective.

Though it's possible I could be giving them too much credit.
    Sometimes I wish Sacramento would just decide to succeed and be done with the whole thing.

Sometimes.........

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Drive to Las Vegas. Buy all the ammo you can afford for cash, and can fit in your trunk. Drive back to Cali (watching your speed so you don't get pulled over.)
    Do they still have those quasi-customs stations on the CA-AZ/NV border?

Care to bet whether or not the CA staties will have some weasels watching for CA license plates at gunshops near the state line? (Back in the day, VA had such spotters outside Central Liquors in DC.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Do they still have those quasi-customs stations on the CA-AZ/NV border?

Care to bet whether or not the CA staties will have some weasels watching for CA license plates at gunshops near the state line? (Back in the day, VA had such spotters outside Central Liquors in DC.)
    No need to bet, it’s already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Sometimes I wish Sacramento would just decide to succeed and be done with the whole thing.

Sometimes.........
    I also wish my iPhone spell check would not change my misspelled words into the wrong word.

Secede is the word I was looking for.

And yes - I’m pretty sure there will be some DOJ weasel activity at the boarder to stop these hardened. criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Drive to Las Vegas. Buy all the ammo you can afford for cash, and can fit in your trunk. Drive back to Cali (watching your speed so you don't get pulled over.)
    I'll give you that saying you're a gun runner to your new cellmate sounds better than a lot of other charges, but it probably won't help after lights out or in the shower.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List