Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to buy ammo in California (Background checks July 1, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Can out of state competitors be *given* ammo while in CA? Like, suppose a match in CA had an alternate entry fee that came with enough ammo to shoot the match - would that get around the problem?
    That might help people who shoot random commercial ammo in matches. But I haven;t met many of those :-). Centerfire match ammo is almost always hand loaded to work in a particular gun. Rimfire ammo is usually picked after an extensive trial of different brands and even lot numbers. Match guns are sighted in to the specific load chosen or developed.

Drive to Las Vegas. Buy all the ammo you can afford for cash, and can fit in your trunk. Drive back to Cali (watching your speed so you don't get pulled over.)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Can out of state competitors be *given* ammo while in CA? Like, suppose a match in CA had an alternate entry fee that came with enough ammo to shoot the match - would that get around the problem?
    All ammo transfers have to go through a licensed ammo vendor and are subject to the background check. If the seller is selling more than 500 rounds they need to become a licensed ammo vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Out of state hunters, competitors, instructors can only bring 50 rounds of ammunition into California and cannot buy any ammo once here.
    Correction: The 50 round import limit applies only to California residents. Out of state residents can bring in as much ammo as they want, but they still cannot buy ammo (except at a range where it will be consumed)
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-26-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Looks like a lot of people in Cali will be loading their own ammo

Correction: The 50 round import limit applies only to California residents. Out of state residents can bring in as much ammo as they want, but they still cannot buy ammo (except at a range where it will be consumed)

After i saw this on the previous page i went to calguns to see what the source may be or what details may turn up, there wasnt any mention of it. I dont expect to spend much time in CA. but would like to visit some of the desert mountains some time in the winter. Good to see visitors wouldnt be in trouble for bringing more than a handful of ammo in.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    That might help people who shoot random commercial ammo in matches. But I haven;t met many of those :-). Centerfire match ammo is almost always hand loaded to work in a particular gun. Rimfire ammo is usually picked after an extensive trial of different brands and even lot numbers. Match guns are sighted in to the specific load chosen or developed.
    I'm well aware of that - I shoot my own reloads nearly exclusively in USPSA, but if I lived in NV and wanted to go to a few matches/year in CA, it would be a solution for that scenario. That said, per @0ddl0t's later replies, it looks like it's actually not an issue anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Drive to Las Vegas. Buy all the ammo you can afford for cash, and can fit in your trunk. Drive back to Cali (watching your speed so you don't get pulled over.)
    Just be aware that the CADOJ ran operations in NV in which they would surveil Cabela's/Bass Pro for CA residents buying high cap magazines, follow them back to the PRC and then stop and arrest them. Chickenshit to the max and bet they'd try this again.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Just be aware that the CADOJ ran operations in NV in which they would surveil Cabela's/Bass Pro for CA residents buying high cap magazines, follow them back to the PRC and then stop and arrest them. Chickenshit to the max and bet they'd try this again.
    Judge Benitez mentioned this despicable practice in his ruling regarding standard capacity magazines.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I recall correctly, this was one of the "silent updates" in the gunpocalypse package between its original version and what was on the ballot. Language was changed from "person" to "resident," or something like that. That would have been a deal breaker, as visitors would have been effectively disarmed, implicating 2A issues.

The other was to put the pistol grip requirement back into the definition of assault rifles; I remember reading an early version where it wasn't included and would have captured all the Fudds' .30-06 BARs. Also would have been a political dealbreaker.

----------

The point of this has nothing to do with reducing crime. Its purpose is to exploit firearm ownership as a highly-correlated marker of people who disagree with leftist politics generally and find ways to make them desire to live elsewhere, so The Party never has to worry about their vote again.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-29-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    They did the same thing at NV gunshows.

User Tag List