Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for precision rifle optic suggestions

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The only thing I’ll add that I failed to mention is the glass quality on the Viper PST Gen2. I honestly think the difference between that and the Razor is negligible. For the price, you can’t beat it. A good friend has nothing but Schmidt Bender and Zeiss glass on everything he owns. He was equally impressed. Also, if you are LE or any type of First Responder, Vortex has a program that is exceptional.

One other thing to mention which you may want to pay attention to is the “eye box”. That is the “area” or “range” of location your eye/head must be in to get a proper and complete view of the reticle thru the scope. This is a bit of a personal thing. I like a wide, big “box” that keeps my neck muscles from straining and is a bit forgiving. The “box” gets smaller as the magnification increases, so it’s important to test this at different power settings as you select the scope you want. Like most things, it’s a trade off.

Like I stated, the Vortex showroom has all the scopes (and other optics) mounted on actual rifle stocks. You’re able to wander around the store to your hearts content, and try stuff out at your convenience. Lot’s of friendly staff too. It’s a huge impressive facility that’s worth a visit even if you choose another brand. It’s a “dog friendly” facility (showroom and attached corporate offices) and everyone wanders around with their pooch. It’s quite unique and well worth the trip north to visit.

Good luck!

Edit to add: I’ll post a few pics of the glass up today when I get the chance.
    Last edited by entropy; 06-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Under $1k the Vortex PST line is hard to argue with, it has decent glass a zero stop and a good reticle.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I definitely need to make that trip to Madison. Thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Ok, this project is back on the front burner. I’m definitely leaning to the idea of Vortex at this point, but the factory showroom is M-F only and I’m out of vacation time for the year. I need to find a local store that carries the Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 to check out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

In the sub $1k range I'd look at the Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 and Meopta has some new offerings in their Optika6 lineup that are worth a look.

Are the Vortex Diamondback series scopes worth considering? They are a much lower price point, and a local store has their model DBK-10028 Tactical 6-24x50 FFP available on clearance for $300 in both MOA and MRAD versions. This is about $100 less than the online retailers are selling it for.

I have a feeling this isn’t anywhere close to the class of the scopes y’all have been recommending, but the thrifty Bohunk in me forces the question. It’s not like I’m any kind of hot rocks long distance shooter, anyways.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...tex_reticle=22
    Ken

@HeavyDuty, it’s almost worth $300 to find out. That’s a remarkable price for the specs. FFP Mil/Mil for $300? Sounds too good to be true.

I’m guessing the glass isn’t that great and the turrets are mushy. But that’s not a dealbreaker. If the scope holds zero and a click is really 0.1 Mil through the whole range of elevation and windage, it could be a fine starter scope.

The thing is, for a beginner, if your gear sucks, and your shooting might suck too, it’s hard to know where the problem is. You end up second guessing every missed shot.

So, at the very least if you buy this scope, you need to do a careful box test (look that up), and confirm the turret values.

If it’s a good scope, that would be amazing.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Definitely at the edge of my lane. Way back in the late 20th century, the school house response to glass under 1K was usually Leupold as it was USA made and had a lifetime no hassle warranty. What changed?

thx

DB

Building my first AR10, two questions:

- Can I mount the optic myself, or should I spend to get a gunsmith to do it?

- Does the FFP vs SFP make that much difference?

Purpose is to shoot 600+ yds target, steel. Recreational shooter, new to long distance. At this point, the Vortex PST Gen II is my plan.

Gunsmith? Definitely not. Unless there's CNC machining required, I don't use gunsmiths. Mounting a scope on an AR is about as simple as it gets. You can find all you need to know on the Internet. Get a decent one-piece mount, and don't overtighten.

If you will use your reticle to measure things, like how far you missed your steel by, then yes, FFP makes a difference. I don't use scopes that aren't FFP. You also want a Mil reticle and Mil turrets. (Sorry folks, but MOA just needs to go away).

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Building my first AR10, two questions:

- Can I mount the optic myself, or should I spend to get a gunsmith to do it?

- Does the FFP vs SFP make that much difference?

Purpose is to shoot 600+ yds target, steel. Recreational shooter, new to long distance. At this point, the Vortex PST Gen II is my plan.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List