Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for precision rifle optic suggestions

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Are the Vortex Diamondback series scopes worth considering? They are a much lower price point, and a local store has their model DBK-10028 Tactical 6-24x50 FFP available on clearance for $300 in both MOA and MRAD versions. This is about $100 less than the online retailers are selling it for.

I have a feeling this isn’t anywhere close to the class of the scopes y’all have been recommending, but the thrifty Bohunk in me forces the question. It’s not like I’m any kind of hot rocks long distance shooter, anyways.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...tex_reticle=22

They are OK for the money, and you do have a vendor that supports this forum that may be able to match a price but you need to call.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Building my first AR10, two questions:

- Can I mount the optic myself, or should I spend to get a gunsmith to do it?

- Does the FFP vs SFP make that much difference?

Purpose is to shoot 600+ yds target, steel. Recreational shooter, new to long distance. At this point, the Vortex PST Gen II is my plan.
    1) You can mount yourself. I would recommend the Aero Precision one piece scope mount to start with (blems often available).
    2) FFP is nice. SFP will do fine.
    3) Vortex PST Gen2 great scope - I have multiple VVPST Gen 1s.

Site Supporter
    Are the Vortex Diamondback series scopes worth considering? They are a much lower price point, and a local store has their model DBK-10028 Tactical 6-24x50 FFP available on clearance for $300 in both MOA and MRAD versions. This is about $100 less than the online retailers are selling it for.

I have a feeling this isn’t anywhere close to the class of the scopes y’all have been recommending, but the thrifty Bohunk in me forces the question. It’s not like I’m any kind of hot rocks long distance shooter, anyways.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...tex_reticle=22
    My shooting partner has one and it is working well (Vortex DB Tactical 6-24x50). There are some deals out there on Vortex Viper PST Gen 1s if you can find them in stock.

Good gouge on the Aero Precision mount, thank you. Sounds like I'll spend the extra coin for the FFP and watch some YouTube's on how to mount a scope.

Does anyone have any newer recommendations? Two years later this needs to finally happen. I relocated, and just joined a club ten minutes away that has rifle out to 600m.

As a reminder this will go on my DD Delta 5 in .308. My budget is still fairly low, $1k or less.

Edit - the Brownells MPO 5-25 was suggested.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-25-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

@LittleLebowski , how is that MPO working out for you?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Does anyone have any newer recommendations? Two years later this needs to finally happen. I relocated, and just joined a club ten minutes away that has rifle out to 600m.

As a reminder this will go on my DD Delta 5 in .308. My budget is still fairly low, $1k or less.

Edit - the Brownells MPO 5-25 was suggested.
    The Vortex PST Gen II line is a great choice under $1k, comes in various magnification ranges 1-6, 3-15 and 5-25 plus they are made in the Philippines when most optics at that price point are made in China. The PST Gen II is also better built, more durable and reliable than the Gen I's they replaced.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    i think the Viper PST Gen 2 3-15 in particular is a really nice buy for the money. It feels like a much better product than the viper 1-6 for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Definitely at the edge of my lane. Way back in the late 20th century, the school house response to glass under 1K was usually Leupold as it was USA made and had a lifetime no hassle warranty. What changed?
    In the late 80s I put several hundred rounds through the Leupolds that were on the M-24 prototypes and on the later issued ones. They worked well but things have changed. It's hard to say what changed internally, but external evidence suggests that Leupold leaders felt like they had a lock on the market and quit paying attention.

At https://www.vickerstactical.com/short-dot.html, Larry Vickers talks about frustration with a company that "...makes milspec scopes but was (and still is) primarily a hunting/sporting scope company..." when they were trying to come up with what eventually became the SB Short Dot. Once the special ops community wrote them off, Leupold lost a major selling point.

They also missed the boat on dialing. Increased shooter sophistication about long-range shooting caught them flat-footed in much the same way that wider availability of chronographs forced ammunition makers to up their game. For a while they were strong on holdover reticles, then they shifted to the proprietary CDS system, which they're still trying to shove down people's throats. Neither works as well as the mil/mil approach, but mil/mil requires solid adjustments.

Despite the military scopes dialing properly, Leupold never pushed that level of quality into their other products. Their glass was--and remains--excellent, but zeroing a run-of-the-mill Leupold was always a chore because you could put a five-click change on it and get a five-click change, a nine-click change, or no change at all until you had fired 3-5 rounds. There was all manner of voodoo about tapping the scope before you fired or going several clicks past your desired change and backing down to it again, some of which may have actually worked. (My SOP for zeroing one was to go through a box of ammo getting it dialed in at 100 yards, then coming back to the range a couple of times to verify. The first time I zeroed an SWFA scope, it took two rounds to get on at 100.) But once you got a Leupold zeroed, it usually stayed zeroed. Then, a few years ago, zeros began to wander. Couple that with mushy adjustment and Leupold became known as a set-and-forget scope. That's ideal for 90% of hunters because they barely understand the concept of a zero and they're shooting at an 8-10" vital zone within 200 yards.

Leupold also got badly distracted by trying to create a social community like the one that Browning has. That has quietly gone away but you can still buy their T-shirts, sunglasses, and other bling. Their website is also a dripping mess, but that has nothing to do with their products.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Yep, once I started dialing, I was bewildered at all the “things” that could cause you to miss. Then I dialed an SWFA scope and 90% of those “things” disappeared. Never had to adjust zero after a months worth of bouncing around on the 4 wheeler. I’m pretty much sold with SWFA.

User Tag List