Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for precision rifle optic suggestions

Looking for precision rifle optic suggestions

A friend is happy with his Daniel Defense Delta 5, so I went ahead and ordered one in .308. My club only goes to 100, but we have another local club where I can occasionally shoot plates out to 600, and a friend out of state has access to a range where I can ring plates out to 1000 if I take a weekend to go visit.

This is a casual thing for me, and I can’t justify spending what it takes for really top flight glass at this point. I have two of the SWFA fixed 30mm scopes now (10 and 12), and the 12x will go on this rifle for the moment.

I’m looking for ideas on decent but sub-$1k variables I should consider for this rifle. I’m definitely open to suggestions!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’d do an Athlon on a budget. Great warranty, rave reviews, awesome price. I’ve been eyeing them for a while.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...ptics&psize=48
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have two of the SWFA fixed 30mm scopes now (10 and 12), and the 12x will go on this rifle for the moment.
    Is the 10x the HD version? FWIW, for $800 I've been very pleased with mine.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Lots of opinions on optics.

I’ve been a fan of Vortex for quite a while and have them on several precision rifles. The three I’m running now are the HSLR 6-24, (.308) Razor HD 5-20 (.300WM) and a Viper PST II 3-15 (7mmRM). I have had zero issues with any of them. Glass is pretty damn good and tracking and mechanicals have been solid and repeatable.

They have quite a new large facility near Madison. You can wander thru their showroom and get all the advice and assistance required. Their CS is top notch and they’re just great people to boot.

my opinion.

Feel free to PM with questions.
    Last edited by entropy; 06-25-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Is the 10x the HD version? FWIW, for $800 I've been very pleased with mine.

Mine’s not the HD - just inexpensive glass.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Lots of opinions on optics.

I’ve been a fan of Vortex for quite a while and have them on several precision rifles. The three I’m running now are the HSLR 6-24, (.308) Razor HD 5-20 (.300WM) and a Viper PST II 3-15 (7mmRM). I have had zero issues with any of them. Glass is pretty damn good and tracking and mechanicals have been solid and repeatable.

They have quite a new large facility near Madison. You can wander thru their showroom and get all the advice and assistance required. Their CS is top notch and they’re just great people to boot.

my opinion.

Feel free to PM with questions.
    Vortex is definitely on my short list. That’s great info about the showroom - the GF and I are planning a Madison trip in the next few months already, I’ll try to be sure we are there during open hours. Thanks!
    Ken

For $1k and under, SWFA SS of your choice and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.308 AR10 types are almost as hard on glass as an FAL. Don't skimp on rings. Unimount style works well with continuous rail.

NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 might be around the $1k-for-a-deal range. If 5 mil/turn turrets are OK for your use - sounds like it would be - it's a great option with features SWFA SS doesn't have, good reticle. Also made in Japan like the SS.

If used is OK, an older Steiner Military 4-16 FFP is a rock solid awesome sharp glass choice. Mil dot only reticles IIRC.

SS 5-20 is a great value, especially used. I like the Mil Quad.

A reasonably priced step up in mag and features would be the Bushnell DMR Pro II Illum. I like the G3 reticle a lot, tho truth be told actual shooting is more in the 12-16x range for most experienced shooters.

The vortex Viper PST got a significant upgrade with Gen 2 a while back. No hands-on experience but I'd look at that one as well.

Shit, almost forgot. @CS Tactical
    #RESIST

These are entry level precision rifle scopes and were mentioned.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50

Athlon Ares BTR 4-27x50

I ended up buying the Vortex. I would have bought the Athlon if the timing was different. I have seen them on sale for less than the Vortex at different holidays. Both are similar with, illuminated reticle, large magnification range, 50mm objective, zero stop, and the reticle I was looking for. I wanted the Horus (Xmas-tree) type reticle. The only online complaints I have seen on the Athlon was the click adjustments were soft and not positive (mushy). I have not handled one. I am happy with the Vortex. My only complaint is because of the high magnification, the eye position (eye box) is small. I am still learning how to use the scope.

I replaced a Leupold Mk 4 M1-10x. I was very happy with it but wanted more magnification.
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-27-2019 at 09:51 AM.

User Tag List