Thread: AR Manufacturer markings.

AR Manufacturer markings.

I have an old AR-15 A1 that my dad gave me for my 15th birthday (1985). It has been replaced in my life by M4 style rifles long ago, and sits in the safe, pulled out for nostalgia purposes every so often.

Anyway, I pulled it out recently, and looked at the markings. Was curious if anyone had any insight into the make on the upper. Is it known crap? Rare or Common? Generic or special? The cast lower was marked ZW and I believe it was an early Olympic Arms product.

Only marks on the barrel at “C MP Chrome Bore”. No twist rate visible. Is that “C” Colt? I know MP is magnetic Particle inspected... I assume an A1 barrel is 1 in 12 twist?

The upper is a rough forge. You can see a line running down the center that looks like the seem of a mold. Only markings at “L” and “M” on the right side of the rear sight base.

The finish looks more like paint than anodizing. Here is the rough seem mark under the carry handle.

Yes, that is a PSA lower on it now. The lower that came with it was a cheap cast lower. It was not anodized, but painted. Rear take down pin hole is slightly off, so you have to tap the pin in and out. They guy who assembled it broke off one of the “ears” where you roll pin the trigger guar on, but it’s fixed with JB weld and paint... [emoji849]. So I got a PSA lower on sale for $39 and installed it. At least it’s in spec.

I was a fool at 15 and bought an A2 hand guard for it, because I thought it looked cool. The original hand guard is lost to time and my parents moving twice. So I plan on getting a brownell’s repro A1 hand guard.

(* If any one has a spare A1 hand hand guard to donate for Karma, I will put it to good use.)

Anyway, if anyone has any insight into that barrel or upper’s origin, I would love to hear it.

Knowing the cheap quality of the lower, I am sure the upper is nothing special. But still thought I would ask since I saw the “C” on the barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    The barrel is a Colt and the “L-M” forge Mark is LAR/ Martin Marietta - they were a maker of Gov contract replacement uppers.

I had a similar mix-master M16A1 upper on an SP-1 lower and back in the late 80s / early 90s. I had a Action Arms Ultra Dot RDS on a Carey handle mount in 1” weaver rings - cause I was forward thinking like that ;-) and Aimpoint 2000 and 3000 were pricey.

Thanks...

Colt A1 pencil barrel. So it should be 1/12 twist.

Now, to get some retro hand guards, a gooseneck carry handle mount for a co witnessed red dot, mount the bayonet, and have fun.

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Thanks...

Colt A1 pencil barrel. So it should be 1/12 twist.

Now, to get some retro hand guards, a gooseneck carry handle mount for a co witnessed red dot, mount the bayonet, and have fun.

Before you get the gooseneck - Trijicon makes a really neat carry handle mount for RMRs (and hooosun clones) and BOTACH’s house brand battle steel makes an interesting carry handle mount for Aimpoint micros and clones like PA, holding, SIG etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-AC32.../dp/B018X2ZCIQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008L...WPQORPYY&psc=1
    Last edited by HCM; 06-25-2019 at 10:00 PM.

AR Manufacturer markings.

Took it out to take roll mark photos. Took a couple full pics before I put back in the safe this morning...

You can mock the A2 Handguard and pic rail attached... I was young and stupid. The sling needs to be replace with a green GI sling.

Scope is a Colt factory, not a knock off. But it’s one of the later Japanese versions made late 70s.

This is the crappy cast/spray painted lower that came with it in 85. In all fairness, my dad probably bought the cheapest thing at the gun show.

Note the JB weld trigger guard repair..

* I need to just have the lower cerakote fans sell it to a ban state that will pay crazy money for a pre ban lower, even if it has JB weld on it. It function fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 06-26-2019 at 12:46 PM.

I have an old AR-15 A1 that my dad gave me for my 15th birthday (1985).... The cast lower was marked ZW and I believe it was an early Olympic Arms product.
    At that point I don't think it would have been Oly Arms yet, but the predecessor, Schutzen Gun Works. They were kind of a boutique place at the time, or at least they sure seemed so to this (at the time) junior buck sergeant...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    At that point I don't think it would have been Oly Arms yet, but the predecessor, Schutzen Gun Works. They were kind of a boutique place at the time, or at least they sure seemed so to this (at the time) junior buck sergeant...

It is marked both SGW on the magwell and Oly Arms above the trigger. So which is it? (Either way, it is poor execution to spray paint it... )

The markings are VERY shallow. If I ever get it cerakoted, should I have the serial number deepened (not defaced). Because as is, it is barely readable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is marked both SGW on the magwell and Oly Arms above the trigger.
    I'm guessing "transitional", at the risk of making an Olympic Arms AR sound like a desirable collectible...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List