Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Chamion v. Remington UMC v. American Eagle

Federal Chamion v. Remington UMC v. American Eagle

Ok another newbie question:

I have purchased and shot all three of these cheap ammo variants in my Glock 19 and 23. I can't really tell the difference but I'm asking which you think is the better of these since I can get all three for basically the same price at the local Wal-Mart.

Thanks.

Reasons why would be appreciated too.

I've had far more problems with Remington UMC than I have with American Eagle or Federal Champion. I know there are a couple of shooters that have had issues with Federal Champion as well, but my personal experience with it has been very positive.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutane View Post
    Ok another newbie question:

I have purchased and shot all three of these cheap ammo variants in my Glock 19 and 23. I can't really tell the difference but I'm asking which you think is the better of these since I can get all three for basically the same price at the local Wal-Mart.

Thanks.

Reasons why would be appreciated too.
    I have fired thousands of each type and have never seen any appreciable difference and they have always gone bang when I pull the trigger. Barring the once in a while QC screw up, if your gun won't cycle one of these budget US ammo brand, then the problem lays in your gun.

In choosing between these, I'd first go with whatever is cheaper and next base it on what box I like best.

Maybe someone here knows the difference between Federal Champion and Federal Eagle other than the box since they are both ATK budget brands.

At least in .45 ACP, American Eagle uses large pistol primers and Federal Champion uses small primers.

In 9mm, I've had batches of Federal Champion that use plated bullets instead of jacketed bullets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    In 9mm, I've had batches of Federal Champion that use plated bullets instead of jacketed bullets.
    I thought it always had plated bullets.

I assume that all the Fed Champ I shoot in 9mm has plated bullets, but since I've never bothered to check anything other than the two batches that I did, it might not.

The 500 or so rounds of Federal Champion I bought from Wally World didn't have plated bullets. My local range magnet tests everything. I did notice a drop off in accuracy at 20 yds. I used to use UMC exclusively. I'll still shoot the yellow box UMC when I find it, but the green box put on so many sparklers with a poor powder mix I quit using it. If you can space your purchasing out you can almost always find better deals online even with shipping.

I've put at least 8-10 thousand Rem UMCs through a mixture of guns with no issues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
    The 500 or so rounds of Federal Champion I bought from Wally World didn't have plated bullets. My local range magnet tests everything.
    Why does the magnet test matter? Whether it's copper jacketed, or copper plated, it should react similarly - right?

I'd avoid Remington. I've noticed more quality issues with Remington than either of the other two.

Joe Mamma

User Tag List