Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Carbine Gas FSB Cutout DROP IN Rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Is there any chance that if it breaks, someone will use that as evidence that you shouldn’t have been allowed to change it in the first place? I’ve seen shit like that in the army before so I know the line of thinking is out there. If so, maybe it’s not worth the gamble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not worried about that. Im picking up what you're putting down but im not worried about it.

Its a 6061 extrusion. I really find it hard to believe its going to break if its installed properly. Plus, even if it does break, the rifle is still functional and ill figure it out at that time.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Can you remove the delta ring and use the factory barrel nut?

If so, Centurion C4 series all day
    ***Disregard. Pretty sure I already know the answer to this since I also work for an agency with similar practices. You call it draconian. I call it pants on head retarded.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 06-24-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Can you remove the delta ring and use the factory barrel nut?

If so, Centurion C4 series all day
    ***Disregard. Pretty sure I already know the answer to this since I also work for an agency with similar practices. You call it draconian. I call it pants on head retarded.
    LOL!

I was trying to be nice..........I have so very many choice things to say about our weapons policy.....

I have to basically leave the rifle stock, ie no removal of the delta ring. I need something that will drop right in, in lieu of the standard plastic handguard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m almost certain they used to do one.
    They made an “ Omega X” FSB rail but the Omega X wasn’t a drop in. It required a barrel nut change.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-24-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They made an “ Omega X” FSB rail but the Omega X wasn’t a drop in. It required a barrel nut change.
    10-4. That wont do then.

UTG is sending me a sample to T&E. If i like it, ill buy it. Im super curious as to the quality. I spoke with their LE rep today and he told me that they have a lifetime guarantee on their products. If it breaks they will replace it.

The rails themselves are 6061 extrusions and they are hard anodized although the fella didn't specify if it was type III. I dont see why it wouldn't be. He told me that if i had any issues with the overall quality he would take care of me and I do believe him.

Ill end up doing a write up for those of us that are stuck in 1994. This may be a useful tool at a very affordable price.

Troy Delta

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Delta rail from Troy - I prefer the VTAC version to the cheese grater /Alpha version. The Charlie rail if you want full pictainny.
    Yup, agree this is solid choice. I mounted the Troy Delta on a S&W carbine with FSB. Easy and secure install using the standard delta ring and barrel nut.

Mine is a bit of cheese grater though, and it has that stupid section of pictainny on the bottom at the front. I eventually switched to the Magpul MOE SL because it's slightly lighter. If I needed free float or additional mounting options I'd go back to the Delta.

Edited to add: Very interested in the T&E of the unit from UTG.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-25-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yup, agree this is solid choice. I mounted the Troy Delta on a S&W carbine with FSB. Easy and secure install using the standard delta ring and barrel nut.

Mine is a bit of cheese grater though, and it has that stupid section of pictainny on the bottom at the front. I eventually switched to the Magpul MOE SL because it's slightly lighter. If I needed free float or additional mounting options I'd go back to the Delta.

Edited to add: Very interested in the T&E of the unit from UTG.
    The alpha version with the round holes is a cheesegrater which is why I recommend the VTAC version with the slots. Squid grips help on the Alpha.

I put a BCM KAG handstop hason the 1913 rail section under the FSB which has worked well. A magpul AFG would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    10-4. That wont do then.

UTG is sending me a sample to T&E. If i like it, ill buy it. Im super curious as to the quality. I spoke with their LE rep today and he told me that they have a lifetime guarantee on their products. If it breaks they will replace it.

The rails themselves are 6061 extrusions and they are hard anodized although the fella didn't specify if it was type III. I dont see why it wouldn't be. He told me that if i had any issues with the overall quality he would take care of me and I do believe him.

Ill end up doing a write up for those of us that are stuck in 1994. This may be a useful tool at a very affordable price.
    You’re my hero. I want a more modern Leapers for the trusty old 5.45. Post a review and pics.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    HCM. I dig the Troy offerings, unfortunately there is a very strange picatinny section of rail underneath the damned FSB that I absolutely loath. I have no clue why its there other than perhaps some sort of structural reinforcement.

Any other options out there?

I know that there used to be an OMEGA rail that extended beyond the FSB I THINK. As per their website, I don't think that rail is still in production.
    I've had the VTAC drop-in on my budget training rifle for a couple years. I didn't necessarily start out wanting the VTAC but I'm generally happy with it.

The rifle in question started out as a stock factory Ruger. I pulled the plastic forend and threw it away. Not generally liking the available carbine length forends I wanted something with a bit more versatility and went with the VTAC since it is drop-in and free float.

Turned out the Ruger front sight base is different shape on the bottom than a standard A frame so I had to saw and file the base to fit into the forend. Then I decided I didn't like the stupid Ruger heavy profile and swapped in a Ballistic Advantage pencil barrel. Already owning the VTAC, I stuck with carbine length. Were I to start over again I would have done a pencil mid-length and something like the Troy SOCC.

Yeah. The rail under the front sight sux and is mostly unnecessary. It probably does add some structural integrity and would, of course, be handy if I ran a VFG. But I don't. I wish it wasn't there but I don't really notice it when shooting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The location of the rail on the vtac kills me. Especially given the location of the sling QD cup. Im not sure how I would add a VFG/AFG to that area and still have room for my hand with the sling swivel in that location. Granted, I dont have to use that location so its not the end of the world.

I really want to get my hands on that darned rail to give it a whirl.

Also, the UTG rail is in and its installed. Ill have a write up coming. Initial impressions are favorable, skeptical and optimistic all at once.

User Tag List