Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is better than a XL650? Two of them!

What is better than a XL650? Two of them!

Sold a rifle to a buddy, and of course once money has been spent on guns it is improper to utilize those proceeds on anything not gun related. And I decided what I wanted more than another gun right now is another press. I have been trying to get ahead on 9mm before switching over to do other tasks, but have been shooting enough 9mm the time never seems right.

Even though the change over is simple and easy, it is one chore I really just don't like. This way I can just leave the one I have setup for 9mm and have the second machine available for 223/300BO, 45ACP, and I went ahead and got the 38/357 conversion.

One thing that helped the decision is I decided if I mount them next to each other I can probably be happy with one case feeder. I will not be using them simultaneously, and there is just one screw to move the whole bowl. I went ahead and got these knobs so I can do it without tools:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This also makes it easy to spin the bowl to the right to empty itself into a pitcher or something:
    Name:  Empty.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  47.4 KB
    But the press with conversion is $600, and the feeder is another $300, the more I thought of it the more I thought it would be simple enough to share one. This makes the second one much more in reach. Maybe someday I will get a second feeder, we will see.

Also, I will end up with an extra powder measure I would make a deal on. I have several extra powder funnels for various cartridges.

Anyway, I guess the only point of this post is just telling the only people that might care...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-24-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Jealous, I only have one
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Jealous, I only have one
    Well, for the next four to five business days so do I...
    Not sure exactly how old you are, but probably in a couple more decades you might get a second one too

ETA: It is kinda funny that for years I would advocate on behalf of the 550 and now less than three years after deciding to try a 650 I am in for a second one.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Funny, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was, "An XR650, duh." Guess I've been working on bikes all day...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A couple years back I almost added a second 650, but then decided on a 1050 for diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Funny, when I saw the thread title, my first thought was, "An XR650, duh." Guess I've been working on bikes all day...
    And a(nother) DR650 is probably next...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    A couple years back I almost added a second 650, but then decided on a 1050 for diversity.
    I may end up there someday, but this was an easy $600 chip shot.

Name:  B64FF3BB-D608-4BEB-813E-E76454714AD1.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  52.3 KB

Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Welcome to the club!
    Just curious on other's strategy. I plan to leave one set for 9mm, always ready, and use the other one for whatever I am farting around with at the time. I know other friends that have a couple of 550s use one for large primers and one for small primers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

ETA: It is kinda funny that for years I would advocate on behalf of the 550 and now less than three years after deciding to try a 650 I am in for a second one.
    Why the change from 550 to 650? I'm still figuring out what press to get (using a Lee classic turret right now) and it looks like the 650 would be an obvious choice because it auto indexes. I'm wondering why a 550 would be picked over a 650
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 06-27-2019 at 08:09 AM.

User Tag List