Thread: 7.62x39 outdoors defense load?

7.62x39 outdoors defense load?

I'm wanting to use one of my AK's as a camp defense gun until I can get a .300 BLK or something like that. Is there a particular flavor of 7.62x39 that would be good for your typical lower 48 types of critters? Black bears and cougars mostly. I was planning on using my M92 PAP which has a ~10" barrel and/or a typical 16" barreled rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Federal makes a Fusion Soft Point load for the 7.62x39. When I was thinking about getting a 7.62 upper for my SBR, that's the load I was looking at.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm wanting to use one of my AK's as a camp defense gun until I can get a .300 BLK or something like that. Is there a particular flavor of 7.62x39 that would be good for your typical lower 48 types of critters? Black bears and cougars mostly. I was planning on using my M92 PAP which has a ~10" barrel and/or a typical 16" barreled rifle.
    https://shopcorbon.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=58
    Should be really similar to .300 BLK 110 gr. TSX which is the most recommended supersonic round for hunting/self-defense, the DPX ammo uses TSX bullets also.

Federal 123 gr Fusion
    Hornady 123 gr SST (improperly labeled VMAX)
    Lapua 125 gr JSP
    Winchester 123 gr JSP

Of note, most of the “cheap” Russian JHP/JSP ammunition offers poor terminal performance; what does work are loads using the 7.62x39mm Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant 8M3 bullet.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-23-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Fusion is essentially Gold Dot tech in a Federal box instead of a Speer box. Use an ammo search engine to find the best price. I managed to pick up a few hundred in 6.8 last year for ~$0.35/rd after rebate.

Lots of 7.62x39 AR guys report their most accurate load being the SST with 1680 powder. I'm not confident with SSTs in higher-velocity cartridges, as they can come apart and not penetrate well if driven too fast. My understanding is they are essentially Hornady's typical accuracy and a red tip in a conventional cup-and-core bullet. But with the lower velocities of 7.62x39, it's probably a really good match for deer and other soft-bodied stuff.

I'm surprised to see the Barnes bullet shedding pedals at 7.62x39 velocity in that vid.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List