Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK POA/POI

HK POA/POI

I just got some TruGlo TFX Pro's installed by HK on my P30 & P30SK. I wanted to verify POA/POI just to be sure, and the target below is what I found. I was shooting Fiocchi 124/Ball. I definitely see a trend of high & left, just a tad. This was all <5 yds. I guess I will recheck this with my AE/124, and see what I get, before having the sights moved. How much of this do you find acceptable? Seems that this would be ugly at 15-25yds...
    I was using my full ammo boxes for a rest, not ideal, but close enough, considering this was done on the fly. The range was hot (temp) and my glasses were fogging up, and it was getting to be a PIA. The one group at the 6:00 position of the A zone, was by far the most centered, so who knows, maybe I was just not having a good day, and it was user error? A redo is in order for sure with AE. I guess my OCD wants this to be perfect, as much as possible.

Name:  target1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  29.4 KB

Shoot them at 15 and 25, and check results, before considering options.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I’d give another try on a day where it’s not so hot and you can run the target out to ten yards or farther. The groups aren’t that far off and five yards is too close to verify zero. My guess is that you might need to nudge the rear sight a hair to the right, but you need to re-shoot this before moving anything.

Thanks, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to do this.

It so happens I was shooting the same gun, same sites, same ammunition last week. I found the POI to be about 2 inches above POA at 25 yards. I received the gun in a trade from a forum member awhile back, and if I recall correctly, it was initially shooting a bit to the right in my hands. I had to to tweak both the front and rear sites to get the POA centered (I have a site pusher which fits HKs).
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 06-23-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    It so happens I was shooting the same gun, same sites, same ammunition last week. I found the POI to be about 2 inches above POA at 25 yards. I received the gun in a trade from a forum member awhile back, and if I recall correctly, it was initially shooting a bit to the right in my hands. I had to to tweak both the front and rear sites to get the POA centered (I have a site pusher which fits HKs).
    Interesting. So, if you need to adjust them, are there generic sight pushers that can be used to adjust an HK, or should I make sure that who does this has an HK-specific set?

With fixed sights, if your gun shoots centered, but high or low, are you just stuck with that, and forced to simply get used to it, or is there a fix of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    With fixed sights, if your gun shoots centered, but high or low, are you just stuck with that, and forced to simply get used to it, or is there a fix of some kind?
    First of all, you're way too close. Get to at least 15 yards. Once upon a time, I polled four former Tier I guys about where to zero a pistol and they all said 25 yards.

From there, understand that POI can vary with different loads, not just in elevation but in windage. Zero for your carry load then find a practice load that has the same POI.

Because of the curve of the trajectory, if you're on for windage, then all you have to do is find the distance at which you're on for elevation.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    First of all, you're way too close. Get to at least 15 yards. Once upon a time, I polled four former Tier I guys about where to zero a pistol and they all said 25 yards.

From there, understand that POI can vary with different loads, not just in elevation but in windage. Zero for your carry load then find a practice load that has the same POI.

Because of the curve of the trajectory, if you're on for windage, then all you have to do is find the distance at which you're on for elevation.

Okie John
    Excellent, thanks! I carry 124/HST, so we’ll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    Interesting. So, if you need to adjust them, are there generic sight pushers that can be used to adjust an HK, or should I make sure that who does this has an HK-specific set?

Yeah, but you have to purchase an additional shoe that will fit the slide rails of whatever gun you want to clamp it to, so they're not truly "generic". These can be $200-$300 all in, so may not be worth buying, depending on need. Many just lock the slide in a vice and use a punch or have an armorer do it. One benefit of the pusher is that you can take it to the range.

As OJ mentioned, the vertical delta can be ammo-dependent. Also, some site manufacturers, like Ameriglo, will manufacture the front and/or rear sites in different heights which allow fine-tuning of the POI. I've had them ship me additional sites for free before.

I'm personally fine with 1-3 inches high at 25 yards. For example, if you're shooting 2 inches high at 25y, then POI is centered on a 4 inch circle with a 6 o'clock hold. At close range (10 yards in), POI would be virtually POA.

Shoot it some more, left ain't good but 2" high at 25 yards is about perfect. What I hate is one that shoots even 1" low.

User Tag List