Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyfender View Post
    Interesting stuff, especially the XD observation.

Kind of eye opening when real life experience contradicts the internet groupthink and dismissal of certain brands, simply because they read and parroted someone else's thoughts.
    Or, anecdotes are anecdotal.

A friend of mine's USPSA Limited gun is a .40 XD of some sort. He has literally worn out a few magazine tubes over time due to dropping them on concrete, etc., but to my knowledge it hasn't given him actual mechanical trouble. I do remember one instance where he apparently didn't get a proper grip when transferring to weak hand and failed to properly depress the grip safety, so the grip safety does seem like a legitimate issue with the design. Not a problem if you get a correct grip every time, but who is perfect 100% of the time?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    A friend of mine's USPSA Limited gun is a .40 XD of some sort. He has literally worn out a few magazine tubes over time due to dropping them on concrete, etc., but to my knowledge it hasn't given him actual mechanical trouble. I do remember one instance where he apparently didn't get a proper grip when transferring to weak hand and failed to properly depress the grip safety, so the grip safety does seem like a legitimate issue with the design. Not a problem if you get a correct grip every time, but who is perfect 100% of the time?
    The XDS mod 2 seemed to fix the grip safety issue. The new grip safety is larger, easier to depress, and takes a reasonable amount of distance to engage. It's a wonderful SDC like device. Just wish they made one without the ambi mag release.

They should include the improved grip safety on their full sized guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What stands out to me is that someone paid $1600+ to take a class and buys a bargain-basement pistol.
    Also that the M&Ps in attendance were 1.0s.

Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Never mind, GC2.0 wasn’t there (but has an affinity for the 43)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 06-23-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyfender View Post
    Interesting stuff, especially the XD observation.

Kind of eye opening when real life experience contradicts the internet groupthink and dismissal of certain brands, simply because they read and parroted someone else's thoughts.
    Roughly 800 rounds each through 5 guns isn't exactly a conclusive sample size. When they have been issued to a large, credible organization and proven reliable over time under field conditions, then we will have some information. I know of exactly one police agency that actually issues (as opposed to authorizes) XD's (Beverly Hills of all places...) so the fact that thousands of law enforcement agencies look elsewhere tells me what I need to know. Then again, they lost me at the grip safety...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    I am surprised by the variety of guns you saw in that class. Thanks for reporting.

No Canik?

Sometimes you guys amaze me.

What "bargain basement" pistols are we talking about? I didn't see any Jennings, SCCY's, Hi Points or discount Turkish or Chinese knock-offs on Erick's list. All of the guns listed are quality service pistols. That includes the XD's.

Surprised he took an M&P instead of M&P 2.0? Gun's aren't iPhones. They don't come with an expiration date. Why waste money on a new gun when the old one still works just fine?

Anecdotally...

One of my best friends at work carries an XD45 he bought in 2006. It's been through lots of classes and seen a decent amount of abuse. I know it has had at least 5000 rounds through it by now (although he doesn't keep a round count). Its only issue was one bad mag that Springfield swapped out for him. Pretty good service for a "bargain basement" pistol...

I agree, there are better choices than the XD out there and I don't own one, but I certainly don't turn my nose down on those that do. Going all the way back to the HS2000 they aren't a bad design and certainly aren't bad guns.
    Last edited by KevH; 06-23-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    What stands out to me is that someone paid $1600+ to take a class and buys a bargain-basement pistol.
    Such as?
    #RESIST

User Tag List