Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of the shok-buff potentially causing more issues than it solved.
    I remember being very surprised to find out that Wilson was putting shock buffers in these guns. But also since it's Wilson I assumed they had done vast amounts of testing with them to determine them GTG. Pretty disappointing and I bet the fellow with that gun was pretty pissed.

Only AK47 I've ever had malfunction is a very nice one that I still have that came with a shock buffer. Jammed like crazy til I took that damn thing out, and then magically it had AK reliability.

I didn't shoot the EDC X9 earlier in the week. Once it was having stoppages Thursday evening, I shot a full magazine through it without stoppages. I encountered the same ones the student did when I shot part of a second magazine through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So how would the shock buffer lead to this type of jam? Slide not going back far enough?
    By preventing the slide from traveling the full distance that it could. I tilt towards that given the functioning after the shok-buff was removed; however, I don't think enough rounds were fired to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of the shok-buff potentially causing more issues than it solved.
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone who relies on their piece for serious business that doesn't toss the shok-buff immediately.
    Agree. They make that decision based on information that has been shared.

Yes; they're also prone to shred and gum up the works.
    Have heard this from multiple sources but have neither experienced nor seen it.

I once left one in too long and it shredded. I caught it before it started causing misfunctions.
    Another one didn't break up, it kind of mushroomed over the edge of the recoil spring guide and rubbed on the bottom of the barrel, which slowed things down enough to not cycle.
    I still have them in "range guns" that are cleaned and inspected between matches. Not in a carry weapon.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The pictures also suggest the magazine springs are marginal. Taking out the buffer increases both slide travel and travel time, but the fact that the rounds are getting sideways in the magazines is telling. The magazine springs are not strong enough. That does not surprise me based on my experience with Wilson magazines, 1911 and EDC X9.

Disappointing to hear about the performance of this EDC X9, even though it’s only a sample of one. I’ve not had a single issue with mine. I do change the buff every 500 rounds or so. I’ve got about 3500 through mine.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had a Shok-Buff cause nose-down misfeeds in a Beretta 96D. Was trying to protect the frame from the fo-tay. Brand new mags, happened with all of them. Took out the SB and it ran 100 percent. Left the SB in the trash at the range.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I had a Shok-Buff cause nose-down misfeeds in a Beretta 96D. Was trying to protect the frame from the fo-tay. Brand new mags, happened with all of them. Took out the SB and it ran 100 percent. Left the SB in the trash at the range.
    If those things jam AKs and Berettas I wonder what the hell wilson was thinking putting them in the EDCx9

Yes; they're also prone to shred and gum up the works.
    CZ Shadow2s use a polymer shock buffer. The first one I have replaced was after 35000 rounds. It was still working fine.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    CZ Shadow2s use a polymer shock buffer. The first one I have replaced was after 35000 rounds. It was still working fine.
    The discussion was the shobuffs Wilson uses; my comments were directed as such. Perhaps CZ uses a better part, the Shadow2s are more amenable to it, Wilsons/1911s are less so, or you got lucky.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

The discussion was the shobuffs Wilson uses; my comments were directed as such. Perhaps CZ uses a better part, the Shadow2s are more amenable to it, Wilsons/1911s are less so, or you got lucky.
    My post wasn't meant to discount what you said. I just wanted to point out that shock buffers aren't always a bad idea--at least in some guns. I don't think I got lucky. My two other S2s have many 1000's on their buffers as well.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List